Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Drugs and prohibition.

Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post
    Ok fact, mind altering substances cause people to do things they might not normally do, for example assault, murder, rape, robbery to get more drugs.
    Do you honestly believe that use of these drugs does not change the way you perceive things?
    That is a load of crap. I have done my share of mind alternating drugs and I am not raping or killing or going on a rampage.
    "Less Sodom and more Gamora"
    Zap

Ok fact, mind altering substances cause people to do things they might not normally do, for example assault, murder, rape, robbery to get more drugs.
    Do you honestly believe that use of these drugs does not change the way you perceive things?
    That certainly is a problem associated with drug use but unless you believe that it's at all possible to stop drug use (do you really???) these are risks that we will always have to live with regardless of legality. The data from Portugal provided in the OP strongly suggests that drug usage stays at the same level regardless of it's criminal status. Why turn drug users into criminals because of the criminal behaviour of a few?

Accepting risks for the sake of personal freedoms is also an accepted price for all free societies. That's why freedom is not for *****'s.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Are they mind altering or do they just give you energy?
    I have not heard of someone having coffee and going crazy or killing or robbing to get more coffee
    Happens every day with alcohol and blood sports.

...doesn't know

Firstly, I'm not a drug user, I've been offered many times, but I don't like my mind being altered (tried Acid, and it was cool, but damn I saw crazy things lol, and i realized I really don't like drugs)

Ok, now that the formalities are over, I seem to have realized that you are looking at drugs as Crystal Meth, heroine, perhaps cocaine, mandrax, and all the hard drugs that would maybe push a person over the edge.

However, you are only taking things from a very one sided account because you are taking things from the media, whom tell you stories about the kid that cut off his penis and then used it to strangle his parents. This is fundamentally close minded, like one of those crazy religious people. Do you ever hear stories about people having an awesome night on drugs? Do you hear of people smoking weed because it is the only thing that frees them from horrendous headaches? Do you hear of people that take MDMA and feel as though for the first time in their life, they've had unbelievable fun? I certainly haven't read this in the new papers.

Dude, basically, drugs won't make you go crazy and lose your mind unless they really really really powerful drugs, like heroine or that Devils weed stuff... Do you read in the media that most people have tried drugs, yet just give up when they realize enough is enough?

Furthermore, why do you think people turn to a life of crime to satisfy their drug habits? It's because they have to keep around the criminals to buy the drugs. And are soon forced into gangs and all those things. I've been around people who have been on many many things. Just last saturday, my mates took MDMA, and had a blast, but will only take it again in the next 3/4 months (to limit any side effects). All I'm gonna say is grow up a little hey.
    I'm new here...

My view?

Legalise and regulate the "softer" drugs. Tax them. Use the income from this to help fight the harder drugs (including alcohol).

Blog Entries

That is absolutely not the issue at hand here. Perhaps if you took the ten minutes it would take to read the initial post we might be able to have a discussion about this.
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.

I say legalise & tax the lot. Force people to go through some kind of education program before they can buy them, and if people want to destroy their lives, so be it. The gene pool will clean itself up quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post
    My view?

Legalise and regulate the "softer" drugs. Tax them. Use the income from this to help fight the harder drugs (including alcohol).
    Well, I'm glad to say that the possibility of banning alcohol is very remote, since it's my drug of choice. I do agree that compared to pot it's a hard drug but it's been the drug of choice for humans since we discovered how to make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

I must admit I will never touch a hard drug but it still does not mean a drug user should be put into prison. Prison has solved nothing. Prison causes more problems than solve problems.
    "Less Sodom and more Gamora"
    Zap

Blog Entries

My view?

Fighting hard drugs does nothing except create an exceedingly dangerous underground market for the drugs. There are billions upon billions of dollars poured into the fight against drugs worldwide already.

Legalizing personal use and creating a situation where addicts can receive counseling and help solves the vast majority of drug related problems in one fell swoop.

As long as it's described as a WAR on drugs nothing will change: People that are addicted need professional, medical and possibly social help.

just my 2c.

“Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is just energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.” - Bill Hicks

Not every fight is a violent one.

Alcohol for example, Don't ban it but do help those that have an addiction to it. Also do something about drunk drivers.
    Sell a pure and safe product packaged in single doses in a regulated manner.

I still think drugs should not be legalised, they should be regulated.

...doesn't know

Quote Originally Posted by seventhson View Post
    I must admit I will never touch a hard drug but it still does not mean a drug user should be put into prison. Prison has solved nothing. Prison causes more problems than solve problems.
    agreed, prisons are really the least effective things on earth, they just consume tax payers money, and don't produce anything but more hardened criminals. Why doesn't the government have a system where these people are put into a full rehabilitation system where they learn skills? Like have people won't on farms to produce their own food (and surplus will be sold thus making money), money made will go to these people so when they leave they can start building a life? If you have life sentenced criminals, they can at least work and the money will be sent to their families? Why keep criminals completely isolated from normal society? How does that make sense and fix them? Why not make them become apart of normal society...

The same thing can be said about drug addicts, if you are a drug addict, and want to seek help, then let have the government take them in, help them with their addiction, but also help them learn better qualities of life, have addicts do something to better their life? Have them build houses for the poor, learn skills to build up a life, have them live life without the drugs... this makes sense.
    I'm new here...

Blog Entries

Not every fight is a violent one.

Alcohol for example, Don't ban it but do help those that have an addiction to it. Also do something about drunk drivers.
    Sell a pure and safe product packaged in single doses in a regulated manner.

I still think drugs should not be legalised, they should be regulated.
    You do realize that the biggest obstacle to regulation is the fact that they are illegal?

*edit*

Also, the war on drugs has been exceedingly and unnecessarily violent. Haven't you heard about people getting raided and shot for suspicion of marijuana? It's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    You do realize that the biggest obstacle to regulation is the fact that they are illegal?
    Yes I do realise this. But there are several important differences between regulation and just having no laws at all.

*edit*

Also, the war on drugs has been exceedingly and unnecessarily violent. Haven't you heard about people getting raided and shot for suspicion of marijuana? It's crazy.
    Yes I have, the okes at Things and Times in Hatfield used to have a slogan on their shirts I found pretty spot on "Every 3 minutes a marijuana smoker gets arrested, and you wonder why we are paranoid???" (or some such thing).

I agree that the way things work now is not the right way.

A good read that helps create objectivity and (in my view) shows that the exact point where drugging really started harming people is the day America came up with the 24 hour prohibition act is The electric coolaid acid test,Tom Wolfe.

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast