Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Wifi HotSpots - Johannesburg

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Wifi HotSpots - Johannesburg

As I'm about to get a wireless laptop, I've started sniffing around for wifi
    spots for net access. Perhaps those folks with laptops+wireless, should start
    detailing the exact limits/specs of the net access they find, at various wi-fi
    spots around Joburg, so that we all help spread the info, like in other parts of
    the Forum..
    Either way, here's my first contribution:

---------NEWS CAFE, CAMPUS SQUARE MELVILLE/AUCKLAND PARK AREA
    I asked how their wifi setup works - and what the download limits are. The
    manager was charming and totally unsussed as to what this 'download'
    question meant - according to her, its based purely on 'time'. Half hour
    segments of net access. Naturally I asked 'and if you pay the bill for your
    coffee, stand up then sit down again - does that give you another half hour?'
    She laughed and said 'she didn't know.' 'It's all worked out at head office' she
    said. Evidently no serious geeks have gone there yet, to see speeds and quantities.
    Unsure if its a secured l/p network which you get l/p from the waiter,
    or whether its an open network with some sort of 'disconnect' after 30
    minutes. Based on the 'gee I don't know' attitude of the manager+ the
    slightly guilty looks of at least one guy at a table, peering at me over his
    laptop, while I was asking questions, it might be a free-for-all at the
    moment..
    Anyone with a laptop passing through, might want to quietly test the
    network access & speeds, and see how clued up the staff are as to what
    you're doing - without asking them anything first - while waiting for your
    coffee/food..
    Last edited by LoneGunman; 30-08-2005 at 10:44 AM.
    "One of the penalties for not taking an interest in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" Plato

Most of them are free, unless they're affiliated with Wireless-G or any of the other major hotspot providers.

Most places provide free hotspots these days because its too hard to actually bill people.
    They see it as a means to keep you there longer, so you drink more coffee, eat more snacks, etc.

Mugg and Bean in Sandton have a free hotspot. Actually, its not theirs, it belongs to the Smith and Wollensky downstairs. But I'd rather pay Mugg and Bean prices for food ;P
    Founder - Johannesburg Area Wireless User Group.
    Jawug - Because information should be free
    Too Far North

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

daffy, any idea of speeds though, with these various wifi spots. There's a spot in Melville itself that has a hotspot, but they're clued up, and charge for access, and limit downloads to a total of 50 megs or so. (spiro's cafe)
    Once I get laptop - and hopefully a neato 'wifi hotspot locator' gadget, so I dont have to open laptop to look for a signal, I want to go hunting hotspots - and see the ranges/diameters of the various access points on offer,and do some experimental torrent d/loading etc..
    "One of the penalties for not taking an interest in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" Plato

When I tried in the carpark under the Hyatt in Rosebank I found an open network.
    Shut up Slave! ... cheap cheddar and macaroni, melted together...

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I'd say around 80% of the hotspots out there are run on ADSL lines.
    Most dont charge if they have the choice.

Some places (like spiro's) only really put that limit on to prevent people from showing up and downloading the internet while drinking their coffee. Its not uncommon to find a hotspot where the ADSL line has reached its 3GB cap near the end of the month.
    Founder - Johannesburg Area Wireless User Group.
    Jawug - Because information should be free
    Too Far North

Thought I add my little bit - new hotspot that i found:

At the 'Village' coffee shop on the Wits University West Campus

You can buy prepaid vouchers at the counter and you pay per meg. It seems to be really good value for money - compared with the R1 per min prices that are charged at all the T-zones and MWeb hotspots.
    local IPv6 hosting | ping6 blog | jawug hugh.diener@apolix.co.za

If you are looking for Hotspots in and around South-Africa, best place to have a look is to go to http://hotspot.alwayson.co.za

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGunman View Post
    ... Once I get laptop - and hopefully a neato 'wifi hotspot locator' gadget, so I dont have to open laptop to look for a signal, I want to go hunting hotspots
    Look no further than the benchmark for these toys, the Zyxel AG-225H (link goes to zyxel.com, device is sold by Rectron) ..tho I see that there's also a version 2, I MUST find out which one they're selling! Oh; and while I'd love to sell you one, I somehow suspect you'll balk at paying double (I BADLY want one of these too, but I'm currently being responsible with my expenses ) so I'll leave it to you to get one at a fair price...

Default Hotspots

I hear that some of the News Cafe's in Jhb are free for an hour and do not limit your downloads, at least not yet. To me that sounds like a bargain If only I stayed in JHB