Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which decoders will be able to decode toptv, dstv, free to air from 1 decoder

Default Which decoders will be able to decode toptv, dstv, free to air from 1 decoder

Hi there all

I have been searching the net for some time now to find a all in one decoder that will be able to decode the above mentioned.

Any suggestions?

and please dont tell me dreambox, i would like some other brands that would do the job.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bevan1 View Post
    Hi there all

I have been searching the net for some time now to find a all in one decoder that will be able to decode the above mentioned.

Any suggestions?

and please dont tell me dreambox, i would like some other brands that would do the job.

Thanks.

You can stop searching now. There is no STB that can do that.

Come on there has to be a decoder that would be able to decode both toptv and dstv. According to www.wowtv.co.za they will get a decoder that will be compatable for wowtv, dstv and toptv. So their has to be a decoder(s) out their that does do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bevan1 View Post
    Come on there has to be a decoder that would be able to decode both toptv and dstv. According to www.wowtv.co.za they will get a decoder that will be compatable for wowtv, dstv and toptv. So their has to be a decoder(s) out their that does do it.
    Dude.... if such a thing existed we would all have one.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Grandmaster

ah, but there are. just not in sa, and more than likely illegal (or they will attempt to play that card on you). otherwise, it takes a degree in some or the other engineering to sort it out yourself. hell, scour the web, you might even find a program that will do it for you, provided you have the right equipment in your pc. somewhat along the lines of being able to hack your m-net decoder several years back. they change the signal very often nowadays to prevent that though

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Theory View Post
    You can stop searching now. There is no STB that can do that.
    And never will be.
    Gebore om te kuier, gedwing om te werk!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    ah, but there are. just not in sa, and more than likely illegal (or they will attempt to play that card on you). otherwise, it takes a degree in some or the other engineering to sort it out yourself. hell, scour the web, you might even find a program that will do it for you, provided you have the right equipment in your pc. somewhat along the lines of being able to hack your m-net decoder several years back. they change the signal very often nowadays to prevent that though
    Well it would be possible except all the providers in SA encrypt their signals so unless you have the exact hardware you are not going to get it right.

Well lets just say that there will never be a commercial device that does it.... unless DSTV and TOP TV both decide to change the way they do things.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Well it would be possible except all the providers in SA encrypt their signals so unless you have the exact hardware you are not going to get it right.

Well lets just say that there will never be a commercial device that does it.... unless DSTV and TOP TV both decide to change the way they do things.
    TopTV uses the same encoding as BSKYB in the UK and Multichoice uses IrdetoII. You need to emulate both types of CAM in one box. You can do it with a software emulator (EMU) or with maybe an external card reader which matches the voltage for a specific card. We're not talking about cloning the card, just reading a valid subscription card. There are STB's that can do it, but most need a lot of tweaking to get it right. The advanced Dreambox decoders can do it, or so I've heard.

Let me just state this before people get the wrong impression. I do not want to hack the decoders. All i want is a decoder that will be able to read Multichoice, Toptv smartcards without chopping and changing the two decoders.

Yes... that will never happen.

Also you do know that the dishes wont even face the same way ?

Beyond the encrpytion issues the box would have to overcome, there is also the location of the satelites.. you will need a dish that has almost no obstructions over a LARGE portion of the sky, as well as to be able to alter its own position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    Beyond the encrpytion issues the box would have to overcome, there is also the location of the satelites.. you will need a dish that has almost no obstructions over a LARGE portion of the sky, as well as to be able to alter its own position.
    I would assume if the encryption was possible you would have 2 dishes & have an LNB feed from each dish as a separate inputs on the decoder

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    Two dishes with a 2-way DiSEqC switch into one decoder would be the solution, but the different encryption standards and the whole smart card marriage thing makes this impossible.

You talking about smartcard marriage. Who is the ower of the decoder that you bought? Does it belong to Dstv or Toptv? Did you not spend your money on it? If the decoder does belong to you then who gives them the right to marry your smartcard and decoder? And who gives them the right to update your decoder and at the end of the day the update was not successful and you sitting with a door stopper.

They come up with all the excuses that it's to prevent fraud. But if i have a decoder at at my holiday house and home, i just want to pack my smartcard , now i cannot. Funny

Come on People. If you buy something its yours and no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Theory View Post
    Two dishes with a 2-way DiSEqC switch into one decoder would be the solution, but the different encryption standards and the whole smart card marriage thing makes this impossible.
    This is a common misconception. Smartcard marriage generally only prevent you using another MC or TT box. Using a 3rd party box removes (most) of these problems. For example you can quite happily use an MC card with a Dreambox despite the card marriage system. It just doesn't look for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast