Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Mweb uncapped...

Default Mweb uncapped...

Hey

I've had an issue for about 2 or 3 weeks now...I am subscribed on the 512 line uncapped (yes I know, it's not worth it but it isn't up to me). Anyway, the problem is, I am only getting download speeds of what you would expect from a 384 line...When downloading from local servers too, the downloads are all hovering between 34-38 kbps. Before this issue, it was always mid to high 50s in terms of kbps. At first I thought it was just shaping, but it is ALWAYS like this. And it's only been for these 2 or 3 weeks. Before, there was absolutely no problem.

And another issue is that the line is syncing at some weird speed which is wrong in the first place, but it's always been like that. We aren't paying for a 4meg line though so that makes no sense to me...

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I phone Mweb and ask them? And also actually, were it has Latency, it now says unknown. When before it said good (I think). What is wrong??

Some stats:

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin 22.5 dB 15.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 19.5 dB 10.0 dB
    CRC Errors 0 0
    Latency Unknown Unknown

Operational Mode G.Dmt.BisPlus
    Annex Type ADSL2A
    Upstream 507900
    Downstream 4091900

Quote Originally Posted by Dames View Post
    Hey

I've had an issue for about 2 or 3 weeks now...I am subscribed on the 512 line uncapped (yes I know, it's not worth it but it isn't up to me). Anyway, the problem is, I am only getting download speeds of what you would expect from a 384 line...When downloading from local servers too, the downloads are all hovering between 34-38 kbps. Before this issue, it was always mid to high 50s in terms of kbps. At first I thought it was just shaping, but it is ALWAYS like this. And it's only been for these 2 or 3 weeks. Before, there was absolutely no problem.

And another issue is that the line is syncing at some weird speed which is wrong in the first place, but it's always been like that. We aren't paying for a 4meg line though so that makes no sense to me...

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I phone Mweb and ask them? And also actually, were it has Latency, it now says unknown. When before it said good (I think). What is wrong??

Some stats:

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin 22.5 dB 15.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 19.5 dB 10.0 dB
    CRC Errors 0 0
    Latency Unknown Unknown

Operational Mode G.Dmt.BisPlus
    Annex Type ADSL2A
    Upstream 507900
    Downstream 4091900

Well SOMETHING is going on. This is what you do...

Buy some cheap bandwidth from another ISP like axxess or webafrica/openweb.

Test the new logins and see if you are getting back those regular speeds.

ANOTHER test(maybe before you buy anything)...
    Login with a telkom test account, the one used when you first signed up, I think it is guest1@telkom.co.za(complete guess, search forums if you don't have it).
    After you login on your router with this, you connect to the Telkom FTP:
    Most command line FTP clients give an indication of the transfer rate. Open a command prompt and enter "ftp 196.43.1.13". Log in as user "anonymous" with your email address as password. Then type "bin" to set the binary or image mode and "get" one of the test files.]
    Then download the 16meg file and see what your download speed is...if it is full speed(whatever you were getting before) then the problem might lie with Mweb. If its a bit iffy, try buying a cheap axxess/webafrica account like I suggested and testing it out on a download. Not a speedtest.net result.

IF this fails, you should PM Will@Mweb or Mweb OP here on the forums with your account details and work from there.

Hope this helps! Don't give up.