Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prisons in other countries

Super Grandmaster

Exclamation Prisons in other countries

So I was watching banged up abroad and notice that in many of the countries where these Brits & Aussies end up getting banged up in the prison system is pretty awful. In Venezuela they have a prison where prisoners have guns, big guns & basically do their own thing, looks like the authorities throw you in and the rest is survival of the fittest. Own food, shelter, etc!

And last night they showed this Aussie who was sentenced to life in Indonesia for smuggling hash, he nearly got killed, in fact he got stabbed & doctors in a hospital declared him dead. Dude ended up in the mortuary which is where he regained consciousness. Freaky stuff! I have read about Thailand where you need to make it in prison as food & basic necessities are for your account. Prison warders getting rich running the supply lines (legally) & selling at exorbitant prices & crap quality food.

I notice too that the Aussie from last night escaped & cops were just taking pot shots at him with AK's even though he was unarmed & only just running (into the ocean!).

I don't know the exact details of a south african prison, but compared to south america & asia it must be paradise.
    the nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry & depression

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time

Third world prisons are no joke.

A Djinn

Shoot an Aussie? Sign me up.
    The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

Venezuela is a joke. Just wait and see what happens if Chavez is not elected president - although that's unlikely considering his Mugabe-style politics. What's worse is that he is chucking his anyone who criticizes him in chookie with the rest of this mob. There are a ton of wealthy businessmen in jail with this crooked lot, all for merely speaking their minds. The others are now in exile...
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

We have Zulus in our prisons..

Enough said

What is wrong with Zulus?

Having grown up in KZN I have developed a certain respect for them as a tribe.

Hell, if it wasn't for the white settlers landing when they did the Xhosas, Sothos, etc. would all be speaking Zulu today.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by seanyp00h View Post

Enough said
    I'm not sure what that means. I read The Number by J. Steinberg which gives an impressive account of the SA prison gang system, well Pollsmor anyway. A very good read told through the eyes of a career criminal... What always strikes me with this prison accounts is that no one ever talks about the elephant in the room, the sex! Guys always claim to never get involved in it, in The Number Steinberg does give some details of a guy who was 'sold' to a gang leader & even though he was in solitary (political prisoner) he'd be fetched every night 'to watch a movie' with the gang leader.
    the nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry & depression

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seanyp00h View Post

Enough said
    And people like you in our country, unfortunately...
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    And people like you in our country, unfortunately...
    Lol wow, the flame.

I meant it in no way rascist. I just meant that in most of the prisons here, the Zulu's are the main "Elephant". And i have many friends who have seen first hand how violent the Zulu's are compared to the Sotho's, Xhosa's etc

Pollsmor is no picnic.

But yes, generally there is way too much time given to prison conditions in SA - just part of keeping up appearances as a just, democratic society though.
    'The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws', Tacitus | http://www.flickr.com/photos/milano2001

Quote Originally Posted by R13... View Post
    So I was watching banged up abroad
    Great show!
    Allocate. Apportion. Absorb.

Banned

Prisoners have it easy. Now the trapped Chilean miners, thats hell, a dark, hot pit far under the ground. They'll be begging for mercy after the first few hours. This is what prison should be, a place you dread ever going back to more than death itself. Prisoners of today are a bunch of pu$$ies.

So I was watching banged up abroad and notice that in many of the countries where these Brits & Aussies end up getting banged up in the prison system is pretty awful. In Venezuela they have a prison where prisoners have guns, big guns & basically do their own thing, looks like the authorities throw you in and the rest is survival of the fittest. Own food, shelter, etc!

And last night they showed this Aussie who was sentenced to life in Indonesia for smuggling hash, he nearly got killed, in fact he got stabbed & doctors in a hospital declared him dead. Dude ended up in the mortuary which is where he regained consciousness. Freaky stuff! I have read about Thailand where you need to make it in prison as food & basic necessities are for your account. Prison warders getting rich running the supply lines (legally) & selling at exorbitant prices & crap quality food.

I notice too that the Aussie from last night escaped & cops were just taking pot shots at him with AK's even though he was unarmed & only just running (into the ocean!).

I don't know the exact details of a south african prison, but compared to south america & asia it must be paradise.
    These Brits / Aussies / Americans / Saffers are so stupid ... don't they know what's gonna happen if they take a chance with drugs in those countries and get caught ??

I'm not sure what that means. I read The Number by J. Steinberg which gives an impressive account of the SA prison gang system, well Pollsmor anyway. A very good read told through the eyes of a career criminal... What always strikes me with this prison accounts is that no one ever talks about the elephant in the room, the sex! Guys always claim to never get involved in it, in The Number Steinberg does give some details of a guy who was 'sold' to a gang leader & even though he was in solitary (political prisoner) he'd be fetched every night 'to watch a movie' with the gang leader.
    Pollsmoor.

I have seen a documentary with actual footage of minors being taken from their side to the prison to the adult side (with the knowledge and assistance of the wardens, of course) for sexual abuse by the adult prisoners. It was taped in some undercover operation. This is sick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Milano View Post
    Pollsmor is no picnic.

But yes, generally there is way too much time given to prison conditions in SA - just part of keeping up appearances as a just, democratic society though.
    Pollsmoor.

Pollsmoor is actually quite a well run prison. Also seen a few docies on it. Having said that, it's probably the last place I'd ever want to end up!

I'd rather hang myself!
    I believe posters are recognised by their sig... so I made one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast