Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Getting an EB license. ("Upgrading" from a code B license)

  1. #1

    Default Getting an EB license. ("Upgrading" from a code B license)

    I have a colleague who has a code B license, but now needs to get a code EB license. The reason for this is that he has inherited a caravan and you may only legally tow a caravan with an EB license, and he only has a code B license. He is however getting conflicting information about the correct procedure to follow. The one testing station says that he only needs to book for a code EB test, but the other testing station has told him that he first needs to write the learners test again, and then only he can book a code EB test. The problem now comes in that the testing station that told him he does not need the learners, does not have code EB qualified testers, and the other testing station which said he does need the learners test, also has the code EB qualified testers. Can someone perhaps direct me to the correct legislation in this regard? Your help will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    As far as I know there is an initiative which will see a "learner license for life" coming into play at some point, but I doubt very much that the applicable laws have been passed.

    Traditionally if you apply for any other type of driver license, you do have to redo a learner license for that class of vehicle. I am unaware of any changes in the law regarding this. His best bet would be to go down to the second traffic department (EB qualified) to go make a booking for his learner license for a Code EB. If indeed something has changed (which I doubt) the system would not allow him to make the booking.
    >>>>>> <<<<<<

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thats "Need to Know" and you don't "Need to Know"
    Posts
    352

    Default

    The irony of this is that people who did their K53 drivers licence test before the licence card system was introduced automatically have an EB rating. However, those who did the identical test after the card system was introduced only have a B rating. I say it's all a money making thing
    “Ask a question, fool for once. Never ask, fool forever.”

  4. #4
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Dog View Post
    The irony of this is that people who did their K53 drivers licence test before the licence card system was introduced automatically have an EB rating. However, those who did the identical test after the card system was introduced only have a B rating. I say it's all a money making thing
    Well I suppose you can make that argument, or you could argue that up to then they got it all wrong. The reason for the split was to make sure people are competent when towing big, heavy trailers and know how to reverse with them. The need for such a test becomes apparent when looking at the cause of some accident involving a trailer. Simply put, people could (still can to a degree) just hook up a 1 or 2 ton trailer with no experience and hit the road, then when it becomes time to stop the vehicle, they suddenly find out that the extra weight is forcing them to overshoot their desired stopping point, and lets not even mention the time it takes some people to reverse with a trailer.
    >>>>>> <<<<<<

  5. #5

    Default

    Hi,
    I have booked my Drivers license for code B and A, however I asked if I was able to tow a off road caravan(which is heavier than a normal caravan)I was told that I should come with the caravan to do my test and then I would automatically get the EB code. How do I go about getting the right license to tow a caravan? and I also booked my Code A license and was told that I should get a bike bigger than 125cc to do the test with, is this true?
    Thanx in advance
    Gidion

  6. #6

    Default

    /looks at DL

    /sees no restrictions

    /relief

    Sorry. I did not do my DL in the last 2 years, so don't know...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliGirl View Post
    /looks at DL

    /sees no restrictions

    /relief

    Sorry. I did not do my DL in the last 2 years, so don't know...
    Restriction section is separate from code section.

    I got mine 5 years ago, but I think its got the caravan restriction too based on OP. (Restrictions section on the card is blank though).
    Quote Originally Posted by hereticangel View Post
    Ok i am now the proud owner of 9 telkom shares
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanmuller View Post
    From now on you can't say anything negative about them, else your money might shrink....
    oh snap

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliGirl View Post
    /looks at DL

    /sees no restrictions

    /relief

    Sorry. I did not do my DL in the last 2 years, so don't know...
    It applies to all code B licenses.
    And it's been that been that way for quite a lot longer that 2 years.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gidion View Post
    Hi,
    I have booked my Drivers license for code B and A, however I asked if I was able to tow a off road caravan(which is heavier than a normal caravan)I was told that I should come with the caravan to do my test and then I would automatically get the EB code. How do I go about getting the right license to tow a caravan? and I also booked my Code A license and was told that I should get a bike bigger than 125cc to do the test with, is this true?
    Thanx in advance
    Gidion
    From what i have seen,most of the older folks got EB lic automatically.my mother and father have it and didnt use a caravan for the drivers test.(they just drove around the block!haha).some time it changed,now we just get B.rather ask another traffic official about the EB. i cant imagine having to do the reverse parking with a caravan!

    with regards to the A lic. if you do the test on 125 or smaller youre limited to 125cc and smaller on your lic.i believe its an A1 then. if you do it with >125 you get a full A. i just rented a 150cc bike.

  10. #10

    Default

    If you did your licence before a driver's licence was in the current format (credit card format) then you would have been automatically given an EB. The switch happened over 10 years ago, so anyone who did their normal car licence since then (like me) will only have a code B.

    I'm also wanting to upgrade my licence, to be able to tow vehicles heavier than 750kg. So I figured if I;m doing the test again, might as well go all out and try for an EC.

    One thing to think about, is that a C licence is probably easier to get than an EB, as no towing is required, but it gives you a higher rated licence.

    You need a currently valid Learner's Licence (18 months) to take any test.
    blog

    "You have brains in your head, and feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose"

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    KZN Dolphin Coast
    Posts
    43,736

    Default

    My code 08 got converted to a EB with the new card system, never towed a caravan in my life, never will
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    My code 08 got converted to a EB with the new card system, never towed a caravan in my life, never will
    I got my licence is 1998 and I'm pretty sure it was 08. But when I look on my card licence now it says B.

    Is there any way for me to convert to EB free since I got an 08 licence in 1998?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GarethC View Post
    If you did your licence before a driver's licence was in the current format (credit card format) then you would have been automatically given an EB. The switch happened over 10 years ago, so anyone who did their normal car licence since then (like me) will only have a code B.

    I'm also wanting to upgrade my licence, to be able to tow vehicles heavier than 750kg. So I figured if I;m doing the test again, might as well go all out and try for an EC.

    One thing to think about, is that a C licence is probably easier to get than an EB, as no towing is required, but it gives you a higher rated licence.

    You need a currently valid Learner's Licence (18 months) to take any test.
    With a C you're not allowed to tow a heavy trailer either.

    I had a code 8, which became EB. Then I converted it to a UK license. When I came home, had to retake the test because I didn't convert back in time. Now I have a lousy B license, and I need to tow 1.5 ton keelboats - so I need to do my license AGAIN.
    I think I'll emigrate. It's easier.

  14. #14
    Derailment Squad ShaunSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    14,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skimread View Post
    I got my licence is 1998 and I'm pretty sure it was 08. But when I look on my card licence now it says B.

    Is there any way for me to convert to EB free since I got an 08 licence in 1998?
    Did you do your license after the card system came into effect?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skimread View Post
    I got my licence is 1998 and I'm pretty sure it was 08. But when I look on my card licence now it says B.

    Is there any way for me to convert to EB free since I got an 08 licence in 1998?
    You got the normal card issue (K53)

    You will need to do the test again. Rather just do code 14 and get it over with
    I have signed up with Bitco and it's by far the best internet I have ever had. Get a quote

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •