Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Vodafone (ZTE) K4505-Z freezing, disconnecting and other stories of pain

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

VodacomData indicated that the APN indeed is provisioned for the SIM.

Now :

1. When I insert the SIM into a B970b (Huawei) router, I'm able to remote in.
    2. When I insert the SIM into a E220 (Huawei), I'm also able to remote in.

On the Vodacom mobile broadband application I have set the APN to unrestricted, and applied the changes. It is the default connection.

OS is Windows7. When you click on the network icon in your taskbar to bring up the list of connections, and then right-click on the voda connection, then properties, then on Profile you can see that it says 'unrestricted' in the APN field.

Seems that the software doesn't use the profile you've created, it ignores it

However, I'm still unable to connect/remote in.

It either is the K4505-Z dongle blocking access, or the voda*** software is not applying the APN correctly.

What other software can I use to connect instead of using the POS voda software?

Regards

Ook
    Last edited by The_Librarian; 11-05-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Starting a new thread so as not to derail this one.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Well I can add myself to the list of K4505 casualties - bought it two days ago, Windows (7 x64) detects it correctly, but after using it for a while you get network connection problems. Skype will briefly show as offline then reconnect, pings fail at this time and YouTube videos stop playing. After a few seconds it goes back to normal. Taking it back to Vodacom this weekend.

My K4505-Z completely disconnects from the USB bus (/dev/ttyUSB[0-4]) at random intervals, and only reconnects on /dev/ttyUSB0. After this the modem is useless and needs to be power cycled.

[ 528.340023] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    [ 528.500401] scsi8 : usb-storage 1-1:1.5
    [ 528.549657] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
    [ 528.549674] USB Serial support registered for generic
    [ 528.550679] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
    [ 528.550681] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
    [ 528.564701] USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
    [ 528.564779] option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    [ 528.564892] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [ 528.564914] option 1-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    [ 528.564982] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [ 528.565001] option 1-1:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    [ 528.565064] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
    [ 528.565084] option 1-1:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    [ 528.565173] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB3
    [ 528.565192] option 1-1:1.4: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    [ 528.565267] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB4
    [ 528.565286] usbcore: registered new interface driver option
    [ 528.565288] option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
    [ 529.501463] scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access Vodafone MMC Storage MMC PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
    [ 529.502186] sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
    [ 529.505422] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
    [ 580.651228] PPP BSD Compression module registered
    [ 580.667375] PPP Deflate Compression module registered
    [ 1496.776045] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 4
    [ 1496.776341] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [ 1496.776355] option 1-1:1.0: device disconnected
    [ 1496.776995] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
    [ 1496.777009] option 1-1:1.1: device disconnected
    [ 1496.777145] option1 ttyUSB2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2
    [ 1496.777168] option 1-1:1.2: device disconnected
    [ 1496.777307] option: option_instat_callback: error -108
    [ 1496.777375] option1 ttyUSB3: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB3
    [ 1496.777398] option 1-1:1.3: device disconnected
    [ 1496.777534] option: option_instat_callback: error -108
    [ 1496.777600] option1 ttyUSB4: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB4
    [ 1496.777621] option 1-1:1.4: device disconnected
    [ 1498.450026] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1498.605471] option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    [ 1498.605578] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
    My K4505-Z completely disconnects from the USB bus (/dev/ttyUSB[0-4]) at random intervals, and only reconnects on /dev/ttyUSB0. After this the modem is useless and needs to be power cycled.
    Last edited by ginggs; 29-05-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    I'm extremely happy to see that billboard, since Vodacom only has a 7 days period in which you may exchange a faulty device, thereafter, they send it in for repairs... but of course the K4505-Z is bad design and that cannot be "repaired".
    It took me more than a week to realize that my K4505-Z is useless. Extremely unstable connection, can't stay connected to our VPN, disconnects from a variety of applications including Skype, BaboViolent and and and....

Think I'm gonna print-out your photo and take my modem back to the Vodashop....

I took my K4505-Z back within the 7 day OBF requirement but they still took it in for "3 - 5 working days for testing". Not really holding out hope that a techie will find these problems with a few minutes of testing.

@ginggs: Is that billboard a Photoshop job or is it real?

Quote Originally Posted by Rikkelz View Post
    I took my K4505-Z back within the 7 day OBF requirement but they still took it in for "3 - 5 working days for testing".
    After reading the advertisement, I expect to be able to hand in a faulty modem and receive a new one straight away. That's how I understand 'exchange'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikkelz View Post
    @ginggs: Is that billboard a Photoshop job or is it real?
    It is real, although I did punch up the colours a bit in GIMP. Click on the link for details.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    After reading the advertisement, I expect to be able to hand in a faulty modem and receive a new one straight away. That's how I understand 'exchange'.
    Here is the fine print: http://help.vodacom.co.za/portal/eng...urce_id=topics
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

Quote Originally Posted by morkhans View Post
    What is a swap/exchange/replacement device in the service process?

1. A swap process is where there is no repair capability and as such, no repair can be undertaken on a device. The device is then replaced and referred to as a "swap/exchange process". The replacement device is supplied by the manufacturer.
    2. The replacement issued by the manufacturer is not a commercial sales pack but service stock which may be refurbished / reconditioned devices. In some instances only the main board is swapped and as such, in some instances the consumer will receive their original covers back.
    3. Although every effort is made to replace with the same make, model and colour, it may not always be possible and alternative options available at the time will be discussed with the consumer prior to completion of the service process.
    4. Modems fall in line with an exchange repair process for in-warranty modems deemed to be faulty and will be exchanged at a zero cost if all of the warranty criteria is met.
    5. Out of warranty modems are not exchangeable without costs being applied and it is advisable that customers visit their closest Vodacom Shop for a low cost new modem which will carry a new warranty period as of the purchase date.

Man I hate Vodacom. One would think that they thoroughly test modems before selling it to us, but they don't, and then we sit with the faulty devices which they'll only exchange for the same model... with a mile long list of conditions.

Any word on a firmware upgrade for the K4505-Z?
    I can't find anything on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthysdt View Post
    Someone posted a link to a firmware upgrade in this thread over the weekend, but I can't see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthysdt View Post
    What is a swap/exchange/replacement device in the service process?

1. A swap process is where there is no repair capability and as such, no repair can be undertaken on a device. The device is then replaced and referred to as a "swap/exchange process". The replacement device is supplied by the manufacturer.
    2. The replacement issued by the manufacturer is not a commercial sales pack but service stock which may be refurbished / reconditioned devices. In some instances only the main board is swapped and as such, in some instances the consumer will receive their original covers back.
    3. Although every effort is made to replace with the same make, model and colour, it may not always be possible and alternative options available at the time will be discussed with the consumer prior to completion of the service process.
    4. Modems fall in line with an exchange repair process for in-warranty modems deemed to be faulty and will be exchanged at a zero cost if all of the warranty criteria is met.
    5. Out of warranty modems are not exchangeable without costs being applied and it is advisable that customers visit their closest Vodacom Shop for a low cost new modem which will carry a new warranty period as of the purchase date.

Man I hate Vodacom. One would think that they thoroughly test modems before selling it to us, but they don't, and then we sit with the faulty devices which they'll only exchange for the same model... with a mile long list of conditions.

There is no firmware upgrade for the K4505-Z, there is only the full VMB client for it. Secondly Vodacom do test the device's thoroughly, there was a week40 batch of over 20 000 modems that were faulty, and it seems now that more devices past the week 40 production are faulty aswell.

To be honest I would have thought the guys higher up would stop the selling/marketing of the devices... my internal emails have fallen on deaf ears lately.

Quote Originally Posted by SphereZA View Post
    There is no firmware upgrade for the K4505-Z, there is only the full VMB client for it. Secondly Vodacom do test the device's thoroughly, there was a week40 batch of over 20 000 modems that were faulty, and it seems now that more devices past the week 40 production are faulty aswell.

To be honest I would have thought the guys higher up would stop the selling/marketing of the devices... my internal emails have fallen on deaf ears lately.
    So would you recommend that I return my device hoping that I get one (refurbished or mainboard swopped or whatever) from a different batch?

Quote Originally Posted by SphereZA View Post

Are you sure?? and full vmb and firmware upgrade, i was posted but nobodys react, people here talk about billbords, nobody see firmware, and i was deleted my posts

@Matthysdt

http://images.bite.lt/bite/files/new..._FW_update.zip

follow set up instructions, after upgrade set up device again, deinstall and install drivers again, for modem and network adapter
    Last edited by DamirD; 30-05-2011 at 05:16 PM.

People, any feedback from you?
    i'm testing now stick with readyboost ,micro sdhc 4GB, for maximum load, and everything is fine, no freezing, no drop signal etc (use MDMA)
    maybe you don't understand my english?
    you must not, say tnx to me, but any freedback from you will be great ok?

edit: duration is for now 3 hours and with readyboost function from micro sdhc inside, good enough?

Last edited by DamirD; 01-06-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast