Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 24 1 234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Vodafone (ZTE) K4505-Z freezing, disconnecting and other stories of pain

Exclamation Vodafone (ZTE) K4505-Z freezing, disconnecting and other stories of pain

Hi all.
    Im a complete muppet when it comes to how vodacom etc works, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!
    I have a vodacom K4505-z HSPA+ USB stick, that I use with a pre paid sim card. I loaded 2 gigs of data.
    Im using windows vista business with office 2007 my GF uses vista home premium both machines do the same thing.
    The card connects to the internet, but after about 5 to 10 minutes the computers "network and sharing centre" says Im on local only, and I cant check mail or do anything online
    The vodaphone program says Im still online, downloading at around 64 bps and uploading at 3.8kbps

To get back on again I have to restart the vodaphone program which is a real PITA
    Ive gone through all the settings I can find, and there is nowhere that tells the connection to close.
    I also connect my sony erricson 702 on MTN, through a data cable and it works perfectly.

Any advice would the hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    I have a vodacom K4505-z HSPA+ USB stick, that I use with a pre paid sim card. I loaded 2 gigs of data.
    A friend of mine recently got the same modem and had similar complaints, he switched back to using his Huawei E220.

Have you tried using the double USB cable that came with the modem? This will provide extra power to the modem and may prevent it dropping out.

Thanks Ginggs, I'll give it a go -

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    A friend of mine recently got the same modem and had similar complaints, he switched back to using his Huawei E220.

Have you tried using the double USB cable that came with the modem? This will provide extra power to the modem and may prevent it dropping out.
    I recently upgraded from a Novatel MC950D modem to the faster K4505-z. The K4505-z came with a single-type USB cable with which I could not keep a connection going for more than a few seconds. I instinctively plugged the new modem into the double-type cable that came with the Novatel. This solved the problem.

I think many more people might be struggling with this. Is this a problem only with some computers / USB ports? Are all salespeople aware of the problem and its solution?

Quote Originally Posted by SoTrue View Post
    The K4505-z came with a single-type USB cable with which I could not keep a connection going for more than a few seconds.
    Weird, my friend's modem definitely came with the cable with two type-A connectors.
    Is this a problem only with some computers / USB ports?
    In my experience, yes, even some ports on a one computer, for example I find on a typical desktop chassis the USB ports at the rear (directly on the motherboard) work better than those in the front (which have cables to the motherboard). I have exactly the same issues with external 2.5" USB hard-drives.

Weird, my friend's modem definitely came with the cable with two type-A connectors.

In my experience, yes, even some ports on a one computer, for example I find on a typical desktop chassis the USB ports at the rear (directly on the motherboard) work better than those in the front (which have cables to the motherboard). I have exactly the same issues with external 2.5" USB hard-drives.
    I actually experienced the exact same problem on my desktop. When using the USB that is soldered to the board it works fine ,but when using the the ones in front it disconnects. This drove me crazy for about 30mins..........lol

Hey guys,

I have the same problem, but I don't think I understand what you guys are saying. My K4505 modem is like a flash drive, no cables to connect. I only got the USB "extension" cable with, which is worst.

I know the E220 had that 2xusb-2-mini usb, but that won't work on this modem.

I phone the vodashop where I bought it and they said I must take it to them to test. The thing is, it works on my laptop, but on the 3 other guys' laptops where is should work, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    My K4505 modem is like a flash drive, no cables to connect. I only got the USB "extension" cable with, which is worst.
    My friend's K4505-Z is the same, but it came with a USB extension cable with 2 x USB Type A plugs and 1 x USB Type A socket.

My friend's K4505-Z is the same, but it came with a USB extension cable with 2 x USB Type A plugs and 1 x USB Type A socket.
    I wasn't that lucky. Anywho, I have changed the modem with an E220 and gave the new one to someone else, where it does work. I hate SA "broadband"

Did you check inside the box? A friend of mine was also looking for his USB cable and it was hidden inside the box in another layer. He didn't even know about it. It was hidden in some compartment in the box.
    Keith and the Girl - the BEST podcast on the net!

Tried the double cable, tried generic dashboards..... . . .

The K4505Z works fine untill it overheats and then shuts itself down. Unplug it, leave it to cool down for a while and then it works again. Ok, I know I live in a "marginal" area but my E220 copes - has for the past 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR6RON View Post
    Tried the double cable, tried generic dashboards..... . . .

The K4505Z works fine untill it overheats and then shuts itself down. Unplug it, leave it to cool down for a while and then it works again. Ok, I know I live in a "marginal" area but my E220 copes - has for the past 4 years.
    I use an extension cable to prevent overheating. However, the single type cable that came in the box does NOT work. Fortunately for me I had the double type cable from an older modem, and with this the K4505Z works all day. The modem feels extremely hot though.

The situation is bad for Vodacom, as it is probably selling hundreds (thousands?) of these, and I expect there must be a lot of returns/swaps on this model.

I use an extension cable to prevent overheating. However, the single type cable that came in the box does NOT work. Fortunately for me I had the double type cable from an older modem, and with this the K4505Z works all day. The modem feels extremely hot though.
    What I have found helps for this is to run the modem on an extension cable and put it on top of my external HD enclosure that's made of aluminium. It helps a great deal to dissipate the heat. I only use that drive for backups, so it's not on for long and thus not generating it's own heat. One could probably go out and get a heat sink to do the same job.
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

My ZTE K4505-Z started giving this same problem yesterday after working well for a few months. Running it via the cable does seem to help, but only postpones the disconnect. It seems to die completely and is not even visible under "USB Safely Remove" anymore. Plug out, leave for a bit, plug in seems to work most of the time, but sometimes a restart is required. I have never been able to get the K4505-z to work with any other VMC than 9.4.8 on Windows 7. I also can't find any FW or driver updates for this thing.
    So it looks like its back to Vodacom to just get the same thing back untouched after a few weeks.

Hi,

I'm pissed off as hell. I always used the E220 and now renewed my contract with this waste of time K4505. PS I’m currently on my ADSL as the modem disconnects so much while plugged in (as well as being connected). I must be the dumbest F*** to be under the impression that a brand new modem sold by Vodacom would be more efficient that a 5 years old E220. IF I don't resolve this this weekend, i will get my lawyer to cancel my contract with Vodacom. The hours I’ve spent on this damn modem and software as well as going to the Vodacare shop FAR exceeds the RETAIL price in lost billable time of this modem and contract profit margin. And I average a R3000 monthly total income for Vodacom with all my accounts.

I'm going to try downloading the latest VMC v 10 software and look cracked firmware for win 7 64bit. Any advice would be extremely welcome.

Page 1 of 24 1 234511 ... LastLast