Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: MWeb / MyIsp / OpenWeb / Axxess

Grandmaster

Default MWeb / MyIsp / OpenWeb / Axxess

I have a MWeb account on a 512Kb. For most of the time I download between 30KB/s to 40KB/s on weekends and after hours during the week. It only get to 50KB/s for one or two hours in the early hours of the mornings. Anyone else experience this? What are the speeds like on the 4mb line with MWeb / MyIsp / OpenWeb / Axxess?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Which protocols/applications are you using for the downloads?

Like if you are downloading torrents or from download sites like hotfile, megaupload & rapidshare, then you will experience heavy shaping.

I'm basically always getting 35-41kB/s on my 384kbps MWeb uncapped account, but I'm only downloading from their news server and browsing webpages most of the time.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    I'm basically always getting 35-41kB/s on my 384kbps MWeb uncapped account, but I'm only downloading from their news server and browsing webpages most of the time.
    Which news server are your using? news.mweb.co.za?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Yes. I've said that I'm using their news server
    I'm also using SAIX's news server, but it's usually unable to even establish a connection.

I could be mistaken here, but using news.mweb.co.za just redirects you anyway to the telkom news server.
    So saying that u using their news server means very little because its redirected to the same ip as news.telkomsa.net.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
    I could be mistaken here, but using news.mweb.co.za just redirects you anyway to the telkom news server.
    So saying that u using their news server means very little because its redirected to the same ip as news.telkomsa.net.
    Not at all!

news.telkomsa.net resolves to news.saix.net:
    Code:
    Non-authoritative answer:
    news.telkomsa.net    canonical name = news.saix.net.
    Name:    news.saix.net
    Address: 196.43.2.61
    Where as news.mweb.co.za resolves to either 196.28.78.229 (the one I'm using) or 168.209.98.66, depending on the DNS server you're using.
    There are actually numerous IP addresses for the MWeb news servers:
    news00 - news06.mweb.co.za and news.mweb.co.za: 196.28.78.229 - 196.28.78.236
    Last edited by Pada; 26-09-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Grandmaster

Yes. I've said that I'm using their news server
    I'm also using SAIX's news server, but it's usually unable to even establish a connection.
    Sorry for my ignorance (noob), I was always more of a torrents person and am just getting into the news servers.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

No worries.

When I was in a University residence, I also used Torrents, because we had no access to free news servers and I didn't care about bandwidth either.
    Having shaped ADSL at home changes the picture dramatically

Give NZB's a shot:
    1) Usenet client: eg. Alt.Binz (the one I'm currently using on Win7 x64) / GrabIt / SABnzbd (I might try this one soon) / Sick Beard (for HTPC's with SABnzbd integration)
    2) Indexing site: eg. NZBMatrix (I just have a free account with them which allow me to download ZIPPED .nzb files up to 1 month old) / Newzleech / newzbin
    3) News server: eg. local (free) ones which are limited to the ISP's clients only: news.saix.net (or news.telkomsa.net), news.wa.co.za, news.is.co.za, news.mweb.co.za
    or international (paid) ones like: Astraweb, Supernews, Giganews, Newsdemon

Grandmaster

Give NZB's a shot:
    1) Usenet client: eg. Alt.Binz (the one I'm currently using on Win7 x64) / GrabIt / SABnzbd (I might try this one soon) / Sick Beard (for HTPC's with SABnzbd integration)
    2) Indexing site: eg. NZBMatrix (I just have a free account with them which allow me to download ZIPPED .nzb files up to 1 month old) / Newzleech / newzbin
    3) News server: eg. local (free) ones which are limited to the ISP's clients only: news.saix.net (or news.telkomsa.net), news.wa.co.za, news.is.co.za, news.mweb.co.za
    or international (paid) ones like: Astraweb, Supernews, Giganews, Newsdemon
    Thanks man, been a great help.