Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Blackberry 8520 Curve or more expensive model and pricing

Default Blackberry 8520 Curve or more expensive model and pricing

I am looking into getting a blackberry cash (current contract still runs for a year) to use the BIS service for instant messaging. In my case this may actually save me a lot of money.

I am going to look at game and some cell phone stores today to see what the various models cost. I don't see it being worthwhile spending R4000+ on an awesome model like the 9300 Curve when my contract will be upgrading in a year anyway.

Will the 8520 be adequate? I want a media player, GPS and email and browsing capable phone? I am on MTN through nashua mobile and will be upgrading the BIS service onto my existing contract.

What should I be paying for a black berry with these capabilites?

The 8520 does not come with Built in GPS.....you will have to buy an add on device for it to use the GPS functionality.

The rest of the features you have mentioned will suit you well if you intend to get the 8520.

Please be aware that the 8520 does NOT have 3G..... and sometimes browsing and attachment downloads can be painfully slow.

I would suggest you buy a 3G model even if second hand until your contract is up for renewal

Only just saw that there is no GPS...

I am thinking that I will find it around the R2000 mark? the 8900 is nice with GPS but I doubt it will be that cheap. The 8900 also seems to handle the browsing with better data encription and compression

Quote Originally Posted by lloydkayak View Post
    Only just saw that there is no GPS...

I am thinking that I will find it around the R2000 mark? the 8900 is nice with GPS but I doubt it will be that cheap. The 8900 also seems to handle the browsing with better data encription and compression
    8900 has no 3G

No 3G but the reviews seem to say its more efficient at using the EGDE and 2G networks? But it seems it R1000 more... for that I could buy a tom tom

No 3G but the reviews seem to say its more efficient at using the EGDE and 2G networks? But it seems it R1000 more... for that I could buy a tom tom
    Trust me i have all 3 models mentioned here.....and my opinion is 3G is the way to go!

Edit: The 3rd 1 i have is the 9700

I am definately keen on the 3G models. That 9300 curve just released is awesome. But considering I can get a new phone on contact in about 8-9 months spending >R2500 seems like a stupid thing to do. I don't even think I can get the 8900 curve in this price bracket. Only the 8520 curve. Apart from the 3G and GPS thing the reviews seem very favourable...

which of the blackberry's have 3G? the bold 9000 and 9700 and the storm 2 no?

which of the blackberry's have 3G? the bold 9000 and 9700 and the storm 2 no?
    yes

Anyway the choice is up to you in the end.....im just giving you my advice....
    I would suggest you buy a cheap second hand Blackberry to use for the 8-9 months instead of spending close to R2500 on a 8520 which is not that great

Have a look here http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/26537..._Unlocked.html

The 8520 is going @ R1999 at Edgars and CNA stores

You may want to check these guys out:

http://www.berryfix.co.za/
    "You must have tea and cake with the vicar or you die"

Thanks for the help... I will wait to see games specials for the week. But R2000 at CNA or Edgars is very good indeed

Hey guys also noticed on MTN website that truworths also have the BlackBerry 8520 for R1999 this only means one thing, they busy clearing out stock to let way for the 9300 on the shelves..

R2000 is the going price now I think