Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: 3G Modems and Ubuntu

Default 3G Modems and Ubuntu

Can anyone tell me what the Cell C branded modems actually are so I can check for compatibility with Ubuntu Linux ? Has anyone used them with Linux ?

Fritz

Default Cell C data promo modems and Ubuntu

Does anyone know what the Cell C branded modems actually are ? Anyone tried them with Linux ? I run Ubuntu on an Acer Aspire One netbook.

Fritz

They are Hauwei modems, so should just work in Ubuntu.
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

The 21.6Mbps is a Huawei E1820 modem. Does not work with linux out of the box.

Any idea which Hauwei ? I'm using an E220 at the moment, so it's very likely that I will be comaptible then.

Fritz

The 21mbps modem is the E1820 (black) and the 7.2mbps modem is the E1752 (white). Both will work in Ubuntu if you have 'usb-modeswitch' installed. After that it's just a matter of setting up the connection in network-manager and letting rip. Don't forget to make sure that there's no username or password set up in nm or you'll be in for a whole world of pain.

CellC helpdesk and technical support (and salesdroid) all claim that it won't work under Linux because the modem is designed to work only with Windows. Do not believe them and do not let them convince you otherwise. Both modems work just peachy. Just make absolutely sure with your salesdroid that the SIM is actually activated/provisioned for data access and not merely loaded with the data bundle. Got the T-shirt.

I can't say for the E1752 but the E1820 isn't network-locked. Got an MTN SIM in there at the moment, typing this. I'll check out the E1752 during the week.

*Trybble*
    Last edited by Trybble; 03-10-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wndrbees View Post
    The 21.6Mbps is a Huawei E1820 modem. Does not work with linux out of the box.
    what makes you say this?
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

Thanks trybble, that's extremely helpful. I'll probably get mine next Saturday if the Cell-C network hasn't been reported to come to a screeching halt when all the Capetonians get on it.

Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Trybble View Post
    I can't say for the E1752 but the E1820 isn't network-locked. Got an MTN SIM in there at the moment, typing this. I'll check out the E1752 during the week.
    *Trybble*
    While I believe you on the fact that the modems are unlocked (all cellular devices in SA must be unlocked by law). IP lookup clearly shows you are on Cell C

We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

I checked on the ubuntu forums and they say it does work. you might have to install that ozCDoff or something package. Should be easy to fix. Why is this posted in the Vodacom section btw???? :-)
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Quote Originally Posted by morkhans View Post
    While I believe you on the fact that the modems are unlocked (all cellular devices in SA must be unlocked by law). IP lookup clearly shows you are on Cell C
    The original posting was done from CellC, the edit was via MTN. Right now, got the MTN SIM back in the modem and creating this new message. Connection information shows that I'm definitely on MTN's network right now

*Trybble*

Quote Originally Posted by Trybble View Post
    The original posting was done from CellC, the edit was via MTN. Right now, got the MTN SIM back in the modem and creating this new message. Connection information shows that I'm definitely on MTN's network right now

*Trybble*
    IP lookups confirm you are now on MTN.

Quote Originally Posted by morkhans View Post
    IP lookups confirm you are now on MTN.
    Good, 'cos the thought that I'd still be on CellC with an MTN SIM loaded was freaking me out a bit. MTN SIM back in phone, CellC SIM back in modem and I'm sure you'll spot the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    I checked on the ubuntu forums and they say it does work. you might have to install that ozCDoff or something package. Should be easy to fix.
    I recently struggled to get an E220 working in Ubuntu 10.10, it only appeared as a usb-storage device, I ended up installing 'usb-modeswitch' and 'comgt' packages.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    Why is this posted in the Vodacom section btw???? :-)
    Since when does Vodacom have exclusive rights to Linux?

Update: usb-modeswitch works fine with Cell C E1820 as well.
    To check balances using USSD, see here.
    Last edited by ginggs; 13-10-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: comgt package not necessary

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    I recently struggled to get an E220 working in Ubuntu 10.10, it only appeared as a usb-storage device, I ended up installing 'usb-modeswitch' and 'comgt' packages.

Since when does Vodacom have exclusive rights to Linux?
    Since I joined here! Others from other networks are not "Free, They are Dom!" and so have no right to use Linux!!!!!!!!! LOL (Just kidding)

Ja, some modems, including the E156 modem needs the modeSwitch package or else it does not pick up the modem side of it. It is very easy to install though. It is packaged with the Betavine Vodacom for linux package and it should be under synaptic also.

What is Ubuntu 10.10 like ginggsie??? Looking forward to its release I have to say :-)
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast