Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Drive Protection System (DPS): HDD failed the DPS self test

Default Drive Protection System (DPS): HDD failed the DPS self test

can anyone please tell me what is the DPS test I ran in BIOS?I have just installed windows 7 ultimate on my PC. it has 3 HDD, 2x 160GB and one 1.00 TB, everything was fine for about 1hour30min and windows notified me that the HDD is failing 5min later the HDD disappeared from Explore(my computer)
    Took it to work to check it with my wokPC[HP Compacq dc 7600 running XP Prof(SP2)] and it gave me this error when booting up?

1720-SMART HD detects imminent failure
    Failing Drive: SATA 1
    Failing Attribute:#5

So i did the DPS Self Test and got this

Test Failed. Drive replacement recommended
    completion code: 4
    size : 1.00 TB
    model: ST3000528AS
    Firmware: CC35

does this mean the HDD is damaged?

Please help...

Probably is failing, easiet way to check is to get a diagnostic tool from the HD manufacturer. Every manufacturer has one, WD, Seagate. You dl it from their site, write it on a CD, then boot and do a drive self test.

Failing attribute: #5

Means nothing because every hard-drive has other S.M.A.R.T parameters. Linux and FreeBSD can run S.M.A.R.T tests and tell you what the problem is however if you are running them.

The parameter is: smartctl %drive% -all
    Where %drive% is something like /dev/sda, /dev/hda, /dev/sdb, etc. etc.

Something is wrong with the drive model number you supplied. From the third digit is the size of the drive, according to your number the drive is 000gb in size. Check again and make sure it is 100% correct, then maybe I can tell you what the failing drive parameter means.
    Last edited by Gnome; 14-10-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Something is wrong with the drive model number you supplied. From the third digit is the size of the drive,
    the correct model number is ST31000528AS ,
    Thhanks