Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8.ta : NETWORK STATUS

Blog Entries

Default 8.ta : NETWORK STATUS

Went and got myself the new 8ta simcard, thou there are problems

- Current Telkom Mobile Simcards (088) cannot roam on the MTN network

- Telkom Mobile simcards are limited to W-CDMA (NO HSDPA)

- 8.ta Simcards cannot use the Telkom Network (Only roaming is working)

- Data bundle balances not showing on the *188# option
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

* Did the whole manually selecting "66502" thou it's kicking the 8.ta sim out
    * Tested on a 3G phone, GSM phone even my modem
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

Thou no train smash,the network is working fine on the MTN network.Only wish my MTN coverage for 3G was better. Iv got great Telkom coverage thou.
    - Is this a Durban problem only?

There seem to be alot of work to be done on the network, many option found in the booklet are yet to be launched such as e-mail and sms bundles.
    Last edited by SUPERMAN89; 18-10-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Superman89 have you heard any news when the 8.ta sim cards will be able to make use of the Telkom Network ? :-)
    There's no MTN 3G at home but there is Telkom 3G, hence the reason why I purchased it in the first place.
    Oh one more question which should not be in this thread! This airtime that the various shops (Jet,CNA,Edgars) sell, usable on 8.ta ? :-)
    Thanks for any info you can supply!

Blog Entries

Well telkom direct have no idea when,I put two and two together and im guessing they sorting out their fixed 3G users.HSDPA is offline so service is working but at less than 50kb/s.Speeds are great on MTN but like you said coverage isit that grand.Far as airtime they should be able to use da ones at cna after all there is a ussd with pin.at telkom direct you just give in ur number and money and its loaded.I think I should become 8ta rep on mybb lol

Speaking of reps, Can we get an 8.ta rep??? Telkom, pleeaaase.......it would show how serious u are...

I got my 8.ta sim on friday been to jet and pep and all rica in store shops can buy sim cards but no airtime and cant rica my new sims.

So I have now cut up my sims and I will wait 6months before I try again (eish eish)

Enjoy 8.ta peeps 8,ll keep to vodascum

Were you able to select your phone number or was randon numbers given. Would mind choosing a real cool number and keeping incase id ecide to move. 081 234 5678

Default Yes ! i Got the same Problem !

Quote Originally Posted by Spyral-RSA View Post
    I got my 8.ta sim on friday been to jet and pep and all rica in store shops can buy sim cards but no airtime and cant rica my new sims.

So I have now cut up my sims and I will wait 6months before I try again (eish eish)

Enjoy 8.ta peeps 8,ll keep to vodascum
    Yes i got the same problem.No Airtime but have a rica ' d SIM and all is working fine.

Dont know where to get the Vouchers.

Telkom is throwing away a golden Opportunity here.

Such Bloody Fools.

These CELL companies must recruit Staff from MBB forum members with over 500 Posts.

DXL - Team

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Superman89 have you heard any news when the 8.ta sim cards will be able to make use of the Telkom Network ? :-)
    There's no MTN 3G at home but there is Telkom 3G, hence the reason why I purchased it in the first place.
    Oh one more question which should not be in this thread! This airtime that the various shops (Jet,CNA,Edgars) sell, usable on 8.ta ? :-)
    Thanks for any info you can supply!
    Go to the Greenacres Bridge Telkom Direct Shop.

Super Grandmaster

Went to Telkom Direct in Stellenbosch and they had to employ heroic efforts to RICA my sim.
    The 8ta sim cannot register on the Telkom 2G or 3G network. I just get "no access" on my phone. Can only roam on MTN. What the hell? They launch 8ta but only on a competitors' towers??

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    Went to Telkom Direct in Stellenbosch and they had to employ heroic efforts to RICA my sim.
    The 8ta sim cannot register on the Telkom 2G or 3G network. I just get "no access" on my phone. Can only roam on MTN. What the hell? They launch 8ta but only on a competitors' towers??
    Which is exactly why they only launched after signing a roaming agreement with MTN...

Thanks for the info Superman and MickeyD and also to ajax for answering the question, which I was about to ask, concerning 8.ta and the registering on the Telkom network.

According to my local Telkom Direct ( not the Greenacres Bridge one mind you ) the 8.ta sim cards would be activated, to able to register on the 8.ta network, only when Telkom have enough customers signed up. So only MTN roaming for now

Hopefully this specific Telkom Direct shop is completely wrong, I'm going to try the Greenacres Bridge since that seems to be the main one in Port Elizabeth any way.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    According to my local Telkom Direct ( not the Greenacres Bridge one mind you ) the 8.ta sim cards would be activated, to able to register on the 8.ta network, only when Telkom have enough customers signed up. So only MTN roaming for now
    Yoh!!!! Which branch was that????

Uitenhage one, but don't worry! I don't have much faith in them, since I've had problems with them in the past ...... clueless

Which is the reason I want to try the Greenacres Branch as well, they would hopefully be more knowledgeable than the Uitenhage Branch

Blog Entries

Not a problem,thou I think roaming on mtn is best for now.The telkom network is freaken slow a.t.m.no hsdpa.if u look at my first speed tests ud c the speed were off beat.upload would be faster than download at times too.

I got my 8.ta sim today.

I went into Edgars. Went to the cellphone section and they were giving simcards away for free.

Went in. They took my ID name and surname. Asked where do I stay. Sorted. No problem with Rica. In fact I was sorted in less than 2min.

I also bough airtime at Edgars with no problem. Airtime can be bought in R5,R10,R25,R35,R50,R100,R150 incument aswell as Data Bundles. Yes you can buy data bundle vouchers over the counter if you wish or buy them from the phone's airtime.

No you can't choose your number. Once you put the new sim into you phone you get 2 sms. 1st on is Welcom your cellphone number is 081 xxx xxxx and the 2nd one is Welcome to 8.ta bla bla bla.

If you want to get a 8.ta sim for free. They handing them out at Edgars and CNA for free. Just take your ID or Drivers Licence with you. That's all. Airtime can be bought there too. :-)
    Last edited by cavedog; 04-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Why pay R425 for 10Mbps when you can pay R342 for 20Mbps and R428 for 40Mbps adsl

https://www.voxtelecom.co.za/adsl-lines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast