Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Telkom Email help required

Default Telkom Email help required

Hi there,

I really need help with my telkomsa.net emaill account. I was using Outlook 2007 with the account and everything was fine. The my computer went faulty and i had to format. Now when i connect to my email, there is no mail left. How do i recover my mails? It is all very important work items so i need it urgently. Is there a possibility that i will get it back?

Many Thanks
    Kavir

Super Grandmaster

If your mail program retrieved the mail form Telkom's mail server and deleted it from their server in the process (which is the default configuration), then that mail is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by davemc View Post
    If your mail program retrieved the mail form Telkom's mail server and deleted it from their server in the process (which is the default configuration), then that mail is gone.
    davemc is right. by default if you're using Outlook, your mails are retrieved and deleted from the Telkom server and stored on your pc. You have unfortunately lost them bud
    Quote Originally Posted by VodacomData View Post
    Let me know if there is anything i can do to make you happier with Vodacom , except pricing................

Grandmaster

I'm not that sure that the default setting in Outlook deletes them from the server. What you could have done was to use a live Ubuntu disc to access you messed-up Windows partition and make a backup of your .pst Outlook file. What I like to do as a backup is to create a Gmail account and set it up to retrieve the mail from the other email account. This way, there is always a reliable backup which requires no maintenance.

EDIT: I see that it indeed is the default setting, which kinda sucks.
    Last edited by Viva; 06-11-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Don't know what i'm going to do. Outlook sucks for deleting all the mail by default. Had all my work stuff there. Going to try to recover lost files from hard drive after the format. Hope i run unto some of it.

Thanks for the help
    Kavir

A bit late now, but the answer is to change Tools>Accounts>Mail>Properties>Advanced>Delivery to leave a copy of the mail on the server for 30 days. (Not exactly an obvious menu option ;-)

You also need to do this if you want to use MWeb's browser based e-mail reader, in addition to Outlook Express.

I first encountered this when I used 2 different PC's to access the same e-mail account using Outlook Express. After the first one downloaded the mail, the 2nd one wasn't able to read it.