Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: New Cell C Smartphone contract

Default New Cell C Smartphone contract

Hey guys I am going to see if we can get Cell C to create a "smartphone" type contract that includes all the requirements necessary to actually use your smartphone.

Up until now Smartphones have been sold with "standard" voice type contracts where you actually need multiple types of products to truly use your phone.

These are my ideas currently, tell me what you think and we can forward them to Cell C.

1. Smartphone Lite: HTC Wildfire or equivalent phone, 60 min talk time, 100 sms, 500 MB data for R250pm
    2. Smartphone: Galaxy S or equivalent, 180 min talk time, 300 sms, 1 Gig data for R500pm

I woud release it here about a month before public launch, with the goodwill on this site I am sure it would do bloody well. Also I am just sick and tired of taking a "standard" package and having to bolt-on all the additional services I want. This would wrap it in a nice pretty bow and sell it all one shot.
    Insert witty comment here...

Well I'd love it if Cell C would have the iPhone 4 on contract. Their network is awesome for smartphones.

But I'm just going to go buy one cash now.

My Vodacom contract expires next year July or so and I would definitely port to Cell C if contracts like these were offered and if there is HSPA+ coverage in my area of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie1 View Post
    My Vodacom contract expires next year July or so and I would definitely port to Cell C if contracts like these were offered and if there is HSPA+ coverage in my area of course.
    There are many changes currently happening withing Cell C, new and exciting Handsets and Product offerings to be released soon, you can view our coverage map http://www.cellc.co.za/coveragemap and see if your area is covered.

Hey Cell C rep Well Done on a good product. Any chance of a "smartphone" contract like the one mentioned here? Voice minutes alone simply don't cut it!

We are working on that with our Marketing Team, we cannot reveal too many details at this stage.

OK... but we will see something soon I hope? My Vodacom Contract is almost up and I am itching to give those leeches the finger.

Just gimme a GOOD reason.

I dont mind getting a standard voice type contract if I can add on cheap data bundles to the package. Thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy S on Activechat 100 for R280pm but what about data? I don't want to swap sims every time I want to use the net or download as I will have to get a 60Gb data sim otherwise.

Just give me the 60GB data package and add it onto the contract. i.e R4000/24 = R166.67.

So total of R450ish for phone on activechat100 plus 5GB per month. It's all I need!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanZ View Post
    I dont mind getting a standard voice type contract if I can add on cheap data bundles to the package. Thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy S on Activechat 100 for R280pm but what about data? I don't want to swap sims every time I want to use the net or download as I will have to get a 60Gb data sim otherwise.

Just give me the 60GB data package and add it onto the contract. i.e R4000/24 = R166.67.

So total of R450ish for phone on activechat100 plus 5GB per month. It's all I need!
    Also the kind of deal I'm looking for - though the whole 24 month contract is not doing it for me at all.
    Contract length needs to come down.

I think I'm sticking to my guns of wanting to get a Samsung GalaxyS for cash and then porting my MTN prepaid sim to CellC, but I'd want an easy way to buy airtime and then ad a gig or two of data every month via USSD codes.
    Financial Advisor with Old Mutual.
    PM a Brother for Financial Wealth, Funeral and Life Cover.

I'm not too fussed about a having a smartphone contract. Rather have an easy way to add Data bundles, even if its a monthly action that I would have to take. That would move a lot of people over to CellC very quickly. BTW, is there a way to purchase "adhoc" data bundle on CellC?

Quote Originally Posted by mak2000 View Post
    I'm not too fussed about a having a smartphone contract. Rather have an easy way to add Data bundles, even if its a monthly action that I would have to take. That would move a lot of people over to CellC very quickly. BTW, is there a way to purchase "adhoc" data bundle on CellC?
    I went to the CellC store in Canal Walk last night to sign up for the Galaxy S. They're still waiting for stock. Asked about adding a data bundle to the same sim. They can't do it currently but the sales guy assured me it will be possible in a month or so. Not sure whether once off bundles will be available soon but it seems like the data bundles on contract (R300pm for 12 months for 5GB per month....this includes a modem so maybe a cheaper rate excluding the modem?) will be boltable to your current sim.

Perhaps the CellC rep can confirm that they are working on something like this?

This is probably the only other network I will happily port to if I could do so tomorrow and if they had good smartphone deal. Been think of moving to MTN just for their iPhone deal. I have asked Cell C to structure deal for me as well but only phone I am have interested in that they offer is Galaxy. Wanted to go on ControlChat 300 but pay in is R2600. Quite a penny more than competitors although admittedly that package is about R100 cheaper than competitors and you get more airtime.

Well you could get the iPhone 4 with the Vodacom business deal, then put a Cell C sim card in it. That would work

They got the Galaxy S on ActiveChat 100 for R280pm. No pay in. Seems a good deal. 100 free anytime minutes worth around R150 to R200 per month so you basically paying around R100pm month for the phone over 24 months = around R2400.

Vodacom has the iphone for R379pm on topup275. This is R275 airtime though and most calls will cost well over R2. So you'd get maybe 120minutes. Comes with a little bit of data as well. Small enough to ignore. Cost of phone over 24 months = around R3000.

CellC's call rates to other networks are a lot cheaper than vodacom if you use up all the allocated airtime. R2.35 vs R2.75.

The iphone will have a higher resale value. The Galaxy S would appeal to people who want to save R99 per month and it has the best screen! iphone has LED-backlit TFT and the Galaxy S has SuperAMOLED screen.

I suspect one needs to wait till CellC allow u to load data bundles on the regular contract/prepaid sims.