Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Suggestions for keeping the VoIP forum relevant

Lightbulb Suggestions for keeping the VoIP forum relevant

I've been trying to give this forum a bit of a clean-up, but it's proving to be a tough job. Almost every new thread, which usually has a valid question in it, invariably gets spammed with suggested VoIP providers and solutions. I then have a hard time trying to decide if someone is getting genuine advice or if they are just snacking on spam.

I also get the flight-by-nights who trawl up 10 threads and spam, those are generally easy to spot and post deletion and (where required) banning generally takes care of that. There are one or two threads like the VoIP providers list I have left as the "place your one time only ad here" thread.

There are some forumites offering good services and, more importantly, advice in this forum and there are those who are simply here to make a buck. I'd like some input on how I should be dealing with links being posted and ref's to known and unknown companies.

I'd also like to know if there are posts that need to be stickied or if there is some consolidation of threads with good info that can take place.
    State of the cancerous nation

The traffic to this forum seems to be quite low generally. I dont think there are too many new topics coming in, and yes, alot of questions get answered with a "try this provider". In fairness though, alot of people seem to be looking for a provider.

There is not too much focus on VOIP other than line providers and pick-a-flavour-of-Asterisk providers. Maybe we could try and broaden the content of the forum by expanding it to other communications related topics? Thats kind of high level statement though.

It may be good to have a VOIP/PBX providers sticky where if you have services to offer, you can advertise them there one time- hopefully that would cut down on the sort of questions where people are looking for a provider and/or a pbx provider - and where we see the same sort of stuff with the same answers from the same people coming up over and over again?

There is a god! About time somebody piped up in this regard, this forum has become as "scrappy" as the LCR business. I am not surprised it has little to no traffic anymore. Business must be slow if you have to scrawl you website address over each and every post.
    Pablo Picasso - "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."

First thing to do is to make a sticky thread with a list of providers and links to their web sites. That should remove the need to respond with the "try [...]" messages. Ideally this should mention which offer both inbound and outbound, which offer Geographic Number Portability (Telkom, Neotel, ECN, Switch & Vox) and which are ISPA members (and therefore subject to a code of conduct) [http://www.ispa.org.za/membership/list-of-members], so that it gives some sort of recognition to those who're offering more structured, reputable services.

I do think that there are some valuable posts here and there are likely to be more once the thread hijacking is alleviated. i.e. Start by fostering an environment that is more conducive to intelligent debate and hopefully intelligent debate will follow... hopefully. :-)

@Markd & @gmza, you guys want to start a list and I'll slap a sticky on it?

i hate to be the odd one out guys but i am afraid i work for a VoIP provider!
    but i agree completely that misplaced postings are not the way to go.
    perhaps some guidance/suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa-breeze View Post
    i hate to be the odd one out guys but i am afraid i work for a VoIP provider!
    but i agree completely that misplaced postings are not the way to go.
    perhaps some guidance/suggestions?
    I try and look for objective suggestions rather than "buy this product from us, it will do X Y Z!!". I know there are a few guys on here who are also in the industry and they discuss topics and solutions rather than trying to push a product they sell to solve the need.

There is a VoIP providers thread which I leave as is for a "one time only" spam opportunity.

Aging list of Asterisk consultants in southern Afica here: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/A...SouthernAfrica

List of SA SIP providers: MWeb Business, DNS Telecom, Vox, DOW Networks, Connection Telecom, FNB Connect, Internet Solutions

Well I know some time has elapsed since the last comment, but my impression is many people come here specifically to find out where to approach voip providers - that's their actual question.

The technical questions are also there, but they are often related to a provider as well (or bad service/response). Sometimes trying a diferent providers solves the problem!

When wider industry issues are raised, they don't always get very good responses. I would like to discuss these in this forum : video peering, enterprise peering are all topical but not of that much interest to this readership it seems.

Having provided early support for MTN (as MTNBB) I enjoyed having my own MTN thread where responding was known as 'being responsive' and not advertising - I could put up pricing, services etc and people would thank me for it. Of course, one needs to take the good comments with the bad.

Hi, Im new to this forum but not new to the problem of seeking advice regarding providers. I currently moderate on a free site www.whichvoip.co.za which provides detailed comparisons on the top South African providers. It allows perspective clients an unbiased view of the services, rates, license status, GNP, ISPA membership, contract details ect. The site is unique in that it only addresses South African VoIP issues, there is also a forum and if members posts are pushing services or product i just delete them, there is enough detailed information available there for people to make informed choices.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcolmer View Post
    Hi, Im new to this forum but not new to the problem of seeking advice regarding providers. I currently moderate on a free site www.whichvoip.co.za which provides detailed comparisons on the top South African providers. It allows perspective clients an unbiased view of the services, rates, license status, GNP, ISPA membership, contract details ect. The site is unique in that it only addresses South African VoIP issues, there is also a forum and if members posts are pushing services or product i just delete them, there is enough detailed information available there for people to make informed choices.
    Hi Paul Whichvoip is hardly new to the is forum - been pushing the site for at least a year, if not more.

Are you saying one shouldn't peddle product here, unless the product is a competing website on voip?

Also, is the website truly free - or only free to consumers? If it is charged for vendors then you will end up favouring the big players who are not necessarily the best.

For true evaluation and industry knowledge sharing, vendors and users alike should ideally be able to input content (to the extent that is possible), with the main criterion being the value of the content and customer reviews and not the size of the marketing budget.

Hi,

I dont believe that WhichVoip is a competing website, its just another available resource to compare providers in one place, I wish there were more. The site is free to providers and consumers so the big boys with the marketing budgets have no advantage over the smaller providers. With regard to vendor input on any site I believe that they have much valuable information to share, its just that some of the less ethical providers have in the past have posted solutions to consumers questions that were clearly steering the solution to thier own in house products, knowing fully well that it may not be the best way to go. In saying that i also know of providers who offer very valuable and informative content not directly aimed at their packages but just for the greater understanding of VoIP issues in general. It is always going to be a difficult issue and at the end of the day becomes the responsabillity of the moderators of whether or not the content is valid and in the best interests of the members of the site who are seeking advice.

Right. Sounds fair enough.

Smile From the Horses Mouth

Hi Morkhans - my name is George Golding, I am the MD of Euphoria Telecom. Yes I am generally very busy, but from time to time I can find time to answer questions any interested people may have. All of us at Euphoria are passionate about providing a world class no catches Cloud PBX service to South Africans. My knowledge is extensible around the actual successful implementation of VoIP in a business or at home. As I work for Euphoria I am sure my comments will be seen as biased, however I am willing when I have time to respond, in truth, to any question concerning Cloud PBXs, Residential VoIP, Quality, Capability, Suitability, etc. I can only answer from the years of knowledge I have gained. I am willing to give the truth, even if that means I suggest an alternate solution, such as a trusty analogue pbx or alternate VoIP provider. The only time I will hold back is if it is concerning information regarding any of our clients. I am bound by our terms and conditions privacy policy not to release any information concerning our clients.

I have come across quite a few horror stories of bad call quality from providers and they will not let the client out their contract. This is a foreign concept at Euphoria, why would you want a client who does not want to use your system. It is a loose loose situation, we actually consider it immoral. We have followed Google in our company culture. First - Don't be Evil and Second It must just work! We strive to achieve both these goals while maintaining and growing a successful and sustainable business.

Cloud PBX VoIP and Residential VoIP offerings are failry new in South Africa, people are interested and have questions. I am willing to contribute.

Think of it from the Horses mouth.

Sounds good. I notice the telco service providers who contribute on this forum are generally committed to good service and open, transparent customer interactions so that's a great service provided by mybroadband.