Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MTN IP Tracking

Default MTN IP Tracking

I was wondering if there is an MTN rep that can help with this.

We have a parent who's GMail account has been used to send a fraudulent letter, and they suspect it is their child. We have the IP address of the user who logged into the GMail account and sent the email. It is a MTN IP address. We have the users telephone number, but we don't know whether the two actually match up. Is it possible for MTN to give us the cellphone number that was used to generate the IP address, or even if it is possible to give a list of the IP addresses given to their childs cellphone number over the last few days. We would really like to trace who has sent the email. If it was not the child, then we assume it is one of the child's friends, as the nature of the email was used to play truant from school.

G
    I don't say much, but if I do say something, it pays to listen.

Grandmaster

- and here I was thinking, the child was making drug deals .... - all that admin, for what? - seriously - kid caught out, ground him...thats the end of the story ....No need for Techno-CSI
    BSG -the best show on SciFi at the moment.

3G IP addresses are shared as well so there's that little problem...
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

Agree with yebocan... If the email says "Hi, please excuse jonny from school today. Jonny's dad" then 99.9%, it was jonny who sent it...

Grandmaster

Probably best to get a case number from SAPS, if no case number, its not important enough for them to put effort in for you.
    Q9550 @3.8 | Asus P5Q DLX | 4x2G ddrII 800 | 460GTX | Samsung S2333SW | Win7 x64 Ult

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    3G IP addresses are shared as well so there's that little problem...
    Even with shared or dynamic IPs, these are usually saved by ISPs for legal reasons.
    Q9550 @3.8 | Asus P5Q DLX | 4x2G ddrII 800 | 460GTX | Samsung S2333SW | Win7 x64 Ult

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by FrancTheTank View Post
    Probably best to get a case number from SAPS, if no case number, its not important enough for them to put effort in for you.
    yes,

MTN proably wont hand over such confidential client info without that.

Imagine if i had the OP's number. I call MTN & ask them for his address....

I think not just on request.

We realise that the probability is small.

I'm actually asking on behalf of the parent. The child denies doing it. The parent wants the details. They want proof that their child lied. And furthermore, they want to open a case of identity theft against the child, to teach them a lesson. The child has caused so many problems of late. He already has two court cases in the next two months, and is costing the parents a fortune in legal fees. So now they want to teach him a proper lesson. As a client of MTN, can I ask them for a list of IP addresses that my phone has been allocated? is more my real question. Because I will then pass that on to the parents, and they can make a formal request from MTN for the IP's. Simple!

Thanks

Blog Entries

A case of identity theft? Thats jusssst awful! You can try obtaining a section 205 from the cop shop and subpoena MTN for the info, but i highly doubt this whole process will end amicably, no way can i assist with this one.
    Avada Kedavra!

Blog Entries

Ha, I remember when I was still in school I actually bought a new simcard and airtime just to send an anonymous email to someone at school. I even used an old secondhand gprs phone so that the IMEI could not be 'backtraced' to me. Ah, the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by graviti View Post
    We have a parent who's GMail account has been used to send a fraudulent letter, and they suspect it is their child. We have the IP address of the user who logged into the GMail account and sent the email.
    Did you get the IP from gmail's "Recent activity" list?
    ic's back, back again . . .

Master
    Somewhere in a distant and second-hand set of dimensions

Glad I`m not them. They say kids lookin for xtra crap is seeking attention... apparently, some just need a good hiding

I would start by changing the password & use manual login ban him from the PC of internet etc.
    Thats what my dad would do. And then he would give me a good beating
    Last edited by ingeon; 15-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yebocan View Post
    - and here I was thinking, the child was making drug deals .... - all that admin, for what? - seriously - kid caught out, ground him...thats the end of the story ....No need for Techno-CSI
    I agree! What a waste of time & resources. Kids lie! Get over it!

The child denies it? Who else would sent an excuse letter to his school?

Having to resort to opening a case of ID theft against your own child indicates big issues... right or wrong, it's sad. I have to wonder... this court case... what is going to happen to the child ultimately... how are they going to handle their parents sending them to court?

It may seem over the top to some of you, but I'm merely doing what I was asked. @ld13, yes we used the recent activity list from GMail, and it checked out against the MTN IP address, which is what we suspected. Still haven't got an answer.

If I was a MTN customer, could I ask MTN for a list of my recent IP addresses that my phone was allocated? Without having to get the cops involved?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast