Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Big patch coming up 24/11/2010 Cata

Quote Originally Posted by hereticangel View Post
    they should really make the patches downloadable a few days before release
    Yup, we always sit with people missing on patch days (big patches like 4.0.1). Kinda annoying as it is on raid reset days >.<
    Cultivate Kindness

Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    Yup, we always sit with people missing on patch days (big patches like 4.0.1). Kinda annoying as it is on raid reset days >.<
    You're kidding right, do you actually think the servers are going to be raida-able?:P

Grandmaster

Yup the servers are going to be like election day. Long queues and lots of waiting.
    I think if you are up to date you should have most of the cataclysm content already, the vast majority of the changes happen for everyone and I think there is probably another 700MB that you need above and beyond the new base install (Classic WoW patched up to date).
    If you feel like getting up at 2AM to play on 7 December then you should get in OK, but if you wait till that evening or the next weekend then expect to see queues.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Magnarmalok View Post
    if you have the 4.0.3 patch, then you'll have most of the data needed for 4.0.3a, 4.0.3 was basically just a huge data mine for 4.0.3a, which is the switch. also, if someone was to upload the patch for you. they'd need to upload their whole data folder which is pretty damn big...
    Has anybody tried to just copy the updated files instead of the whole data directory? I think mine something like 25gig
    Everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat

Grandmaster

The majority of this patch has been available for over a week and the Cata data even longer. And 4.0.3a won't be a big download at all, it is all there already, if you are playing live at the moment.

For the Cata data just follow these easy steps:

1. Make sure World of Warcraft and/or the launcher and background downloader are completely closed.
    2. Open up your World of Warcraft folder.
    3. Open Launcher.wtf in Notepad and change the "accountType" line from LK to CT.
    4. Open Config.wtf in Notepad and change the "accountType" line from LK to CT.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/29/wa...ing-heres-how/

Not sure what you lot are all moaning about?

According to the patch notes, I'm going to guess that the only thing we need to download is the login and then the new cinematic, otherwise we should be fine

From the Tom Chilton Interview on MMO-Champ

How is The Shattering going to happen? Should we expect an epic ending to the pre-Cataclysm event and elemental invasions?
    TC: The culmination, we're already at the final stage of the event that builds up to The Shattering. The final "event" is the in-game cinematic. And that's really what the transition is for players, that players will play through this event that's building up and then at some point... just because of the realities of the code, we have to flip a switch.

So we're going to be doing that during maintenance when The Shattering happens, and so when players log back in for the first time, it's a very small patch for players, and be introduced to the cinematic. That's suppose to be what happened while you were asleep. Conceptually, this is what just happened while you weren't controlling your characte

anybody know the actual size of tomorrows download?

I heard speculations of between 600MB and 1GB. Not sure though

Super Grandmaster

eish, these wow patches are starting to use more bandwidth than my pron downloads
    Everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat

well all i hurd was the patch is gonna be Huge.. and considering the europeans uncapped / faster internet than us im expecting it to be 1g + atleast lol ive only got 1.5 gigs left for the rest of the month

People on US servers saying they downloaded about 23mb.

Grandmaster

Why would it be huge? The last patch (4.0.3) was over a gig for me and there were no changes to the game that week. Therefore it was clearly just shipping data for 4.0.3a. Why is everyone thinking this is going to be a big one? They just need to turn it on, it's all sitting on your computer already
    Last edited by burn; 23-11-2010 at 07:25 PM.

I know this is off topic but, are the epics going to be made blues and the blues greens etc? It was like that with previous expansions? Or am I mistaken.

Grandmaster

Umm, they will stay epics (purple). When people talk in this manner they are refering to the fact that the new expansion greens are as powerful as the old epics. But I find that it is generally the new blues that will replace the old raid purples in stats.
    Last edited by burn; 23-11-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast