Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 80 1 23451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Musicians' thread.

Blog Entries

Smile Musicians' thread.

I am under the impression that we have a couple of folk on MyBB who can quite comfortably wear the mantle of 'musician'.

Myself, I've been playing guitar for a couple of years and have recently gotten quite interested in various types of electronic music although I am struggling like hell to actually compose these mysterious things known as 'songs'.

One of the reasons I am making the thread is hopefully to spur myself into a bit of action, sometimes I'll pick up my guitar or fiddle about trying to make a drum beat or something and I'll think to myself 'what's the point?', or alternatively, should I start making something constructive I will eventually let it fall to the wayside because I am an insane perfectionist - This of course has the net result of me producing no music at all, which is quite the opposite of what I wish to do. Go figure.

What I'd like this thread to be:

• A place to provide links to anything you've worked on, should you be so vain.
    • A place where the more knowledgeable of us can help anyone new to all this.
    • A place where we can discuss software, hardware and any tips and tricks related to making speakers vibrate.
    • A place to discuss and perhaps shed some light on this arcane language known as 'music theory'.
    • Play an instrument? Any tips for people who can't?

What I'd not like this thread to be:

If anyone does partake (which would be lovely) and get as far as posting a sound-clip, constructive criticism would the order of the day, but don't post anything if you are overly sensitive.

I have nothing else to add.

Hopefully soon, I'll have something audible to post.

Cheers!

Look down, at post #2

It's a list of all the posts containing music!
    Last edited by copacetic; 04-12-2010 at 05:03 AM.
    glorp

I need to get some gear to record my playing.

Recently I have been learning megadeths riffs. Damn they are allot harder than slayers or metallicas.

I have been playing for nearly 4 years and think I am pretty good. Just not with slow ballads(can't stand playing them)
    I am a shred guitarist.
    "Less Sodom and more Gamora"
    Zap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seventhson View Post
    I need to get some gear to record my playing.

Recently I have been learning megadeths riffs. Damn they are allot harder than slayers or metallicas.

I have been playing for nearly 4 years and think I am pretty good. Just not with slow ballads(can't stand playing them)
    I am a shred guitarist.
    Cool, why can't you record now? What amp do you use?
    glorp

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    Cool, why can't you record now? What amp do you use?
    Missing a input cable to connect my pc to my amp.
    I am using a Roland cube 30x cosm solid state amp.
    Zap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seventhson View Post
    Missing a input cable to connect my pc to my amp.
    I am using a Roland cube 30x cosm solid state amp.
    Get a cable and record then!

Do you write your own stuff at all?

My biggest mistake was never learning any covers. I was such a dimwit in my youth.
    glorp

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    Get a cable and record then!

Do you write your own stuff at all?

My biggest mistake was never learning any covers. I was such a dimwit in my youth.
    Money is tight. First my rammstien ticket thank you
    Next year sometime I will.
    Zap

I'm gonna get back to making music, now that my exams are finished...if one thing I've learned the hard way is I cant study and do music at the same time cause when I get to making a song time just fly's and I forget that I have work to do.

Now during my break I've been really inspired by anime soundtrack, and thought I might try put some songs to anime. So before I do this I'm still trying to familiarize myself with Windows Movie Maker (the video which Im currently working on is not with one of my songs). I do have songs already which I think would be great for some videos...err I'll see what I do when I cross that bridge.

Anyway I've got this sequence rumbling in my head...and I really need to record it, does anyone have a Reason patch or soundbank for a Koto and Shamisen instruments?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsume View Post
    I'm gonna get back to making music, now that my exams are finished...if one thing I've learned the hard way is I cant study and do music at the same time cause when I get to making a song time just fly's and I forget that I have work to do.

Now during my break I've been really inspired by anime soundtrack, and thought I might try put some songs to anime. So before I do this I'm still trying to familiarize myself with Windows Movie Maker (the video which Im currently working on is not with one of my songs). I do have songs already which I think would be great for some videos...err I'll see what I do when I cross that bridge.

Anyway I've got this sequence rumbling in my head...and I really need to record it, does anyone have a Reason patch or soundbank for a Koto and Shamisen instruments?
    Cool.

I am afraid no ideas for those particular sounds.
    glorp

Awesome idea for a thread!

I own 4 acoustic guitars, 2 in working order! :-) Yamaha APX4, Gibson Epiphone. I'm sad to admit that they're gathering dust in my garage. It seems I have lost the will to actually sit down and fiddle with them. I'm completely tone deaf when it comes to singing, so I've taken a few of the poems I've written in the past and recorded them by just speaking them over tracks I recorded using FL Studio and Cool Edit Pro. I normally start by laying down the bassline and very basic drums using FL. Then I set up my trusty (and wobbly) mic stand and record the acoustic guitar in Cool Edit. Then it becomes a whole process of fiddling with effects, panning, volume etc. until I'm happy. Then I add the vocals. Eventually a few friends will get to hear what I made and they will probably ask for a copy of it, just because their my friends! ;-)

But anyway, here a link to one of my tracks if someone would like to comment. This was some of my slightly darker poetry and I never actually did more than one take on the vocals. What I like about it that it still feels raw to me. Recorded in 2006, I think. Be carefull of the bass, I think something doubled because in my car it wants to rip my sub apart at a certain volume.

Basic instruments used were:
    Bass : Naturally Decaying Bass Guitar SF2 I found free online.
    Guitar : APX4. I liked how the frequency adjustment in FL made the guitar sound trancy through guitary(!).
    Drums : FL's drums.
    Vinyl effect: Izotope's free vinyl plugin.
    Mic: Behringer something-something.

Criticism / comments welcome!
    hotfile.com/dl/84026778/d7a6800/07_-_Untitled.mp3.html - perhaps someone can suggest an alternative to putting our tracks on filesharing sites? Perhaps stream them?

Links to software/plugins/soundfonts I used:
    flstudio.com
    adobe.com/products/audition/ - this used to be Cool Edit... seems I've really lost track with what's new!
    hammersound.net/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl?action=view_category&category=Bass&Li stStart=0&ListLength=15
    izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/
    Last edited by Beylie; 18-10-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries

@ Beylie, first contributor with a clip! Cheers!

Will give a listen, thanks.

*edit*

As for where to put songs... I am not sure myself at this stage... I've had good experiences listening on http://soundcloud.com/ but am not sure of the procedure to upload and whatnot, will investigate.
    Last edited by copacetic; 21-11-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    glorp

I played for the first time in front of people this Friday at work's talent show. The chick I was with was suppose to sing and me play guitar. After starting to play she froze and never started singing so I had to start singing and I forgot half of the song. The judges ripped me apart it was one of the hardest things I've done in my life.

O can you guys recommend easy songs that sound cool with an Acoustic?
    Last edited by TheGuy; 21-11-2010 at 06:24 PM.

just an infant with my guitar and starting off with something new... the cello. got a teacher in mind just need to phone the man and learn. that's about how far it goes for now.
    Disclaimer: The use of my free time precludes any reproach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    I played for the first time in front of people this Friday at work's talent show. The chick I was with was suppose to sing and me play guitar. After starting to play she froze and never started singing so I had to start singing and I forgot half of the song. The judges ripped me apart it was one of the hardest things I've done in my life.
    Scary as hell hey, the first time?

Good on you for going through with it though.

Don't let it stop you from doing it again.
    glorp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pr⊕phet View Post
    just an infant with my guitar and starting off with something new... the cello. got a teacher in mind just need to phone the man and learn. that's about how far it goes for now.
    I've always wanted to play cello, beautiful instrument.
    glorp

Page 1 of 80 1 23451151 ... LastLast