Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: PWM controller for dual Sickleflow 120mm fans?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Default PWM controller for dual Sickleflow 120mm fans?

Hi,

I currently have 2x Sickleflow fans stuck on my ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme CPU cooler, but I have to run them at 7V otherwise they make way too much noise.

So now I'm looking for a PWM controller to adjust the speed of both depending on the CPU's temperature. I'm hoping to get one that I can connect on the 4-pin CPU fan header.

Otherwise, I'm also open for suggestions for other 120mm PWM fans that I can use.

It would be a bonus if I can get the stuff from Prophecy Shop, since I'm going to place another order from them today/tomorrow.

What version of the sickleflow fans? 1200 or 2000rpm (big power difference between them)? And what board do you have, need to know what the max power is that can be delivered via the CPU fan header.
    GPU Charts: Updated 26/03/12
    Custom Chassis MKII coming soon™
    Domaincheap
    i5 2500k | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB SSD + 1.5TB | HD7970 | Sabertooth P67 | 750W | 23"

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I have the 2000rpm ones and I have an Asus P6T Deluxe v2 motherboard.

I saw that you get Artic Cooling fans that can share a single PWM signal eg. http://www.prophecy.co.za/arctic-coo...m-p-66167.html
    Unfortunately that fan isn't 25mm wide, and I can't find the 25mm ones at Prophecy Shop.

Why do you need the 25mm ones, it does say they arecompatible with 25mm mounting systems. Looking at max power etc etc now
    Domaincheap

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Archer, do you reckon you can install that Arctic F12 Pro PWM fan in reverse? Because it's not symmetrical like the 25mm one (Arctic F12 PWM).

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    Archer, do you reckon you can install that Arctic F12 Pro PWM fan in reverse? Because it's not symmetrical like the 25mm one (Arctic F12 PWM).
    Ha, I see the problem now You might be able to, but I wouldnt bank on it.
    Domaincheap

Ok, page 60 of the manual says the fan connectors can handle 24W each, up to a total of 84W max for all of them together. So even two fans drawing 1A each will be fine on a single connector. So pretty much anything that is PWM controlled will work, you may have to splice the wires together though. Be careful with the wire that reports the speed of the fan, dont think you should splice that. Will look if there is a ready made cable for this (there should be since the Frio cooler on the other PC has two fans that are linked to one CPU header)
    Domaincheap

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Thanks Archer.

I think I'll try to build my own PWM circuit instead, like shown here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=107135

Edit:
    Jude (from Prophecy Shop) is currently helping me out with regards to these Arctic Cooling/Silverstone PWM fans...
    Last edited by Pada; 22-11-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    Thanks Archer.

I think I'll try to build my own PWM circuit instead, like shown here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=107135

Edit:
    Jude (from Prophecy Shop) is currently helping me out with regards to these Arctic Cooling/Silverstone PWM fans...
    Ask if you need help with that too, although its pretty simple. The only thing to really watch out for is that you get a transistor that can handle the current. If you get that right you should be good to go.
    Domaincheap