Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Women in the Netherlands work less, have big gender pay gap, and love it!

Super Grandmaster

Default Women in the Netherlands work less, have big gender pay gap, and love it!

http://www.slate.com/id/2274736
    I've been in the Netherlands for nearly three months now, and I've come to one overwhelming conclusion: Dutch women are not like me. I worry about my career incessantly. I take daily stock of its trajectory and make vicious mental critiques of my endeavors. And I know—based on weekly phone conversations with friends in the United States—that my masochistic drive for success is widely shared among my female friends. Meanwhile, the Dutch women around me take a lackadaisical approach to their careers. They work half days, meet their friends for coffee at 2 p.m., and pity their male colleagues who are stuck in the office all day.
    Dutch women could be considered extremely progressive when compared with most other women in the world—they have enviable reproductive rights and rates of political participation. But they are often responsible for only a small portion of the family income—25 percent of Dutch women do not even make enough money to be considered financially independent. The gap in pay between genders is among the highest in Europe, but because women are working only part time, this is not fodder for gender wars. Instead, women are more concerned with protecting their right to part-time work. In 2000, a law was passed mandating that women have the right to cut back hours at their jobs without repercussions from employers.
    Dutch women's refusal to seek longer hours has long bewildered economists. In the spring, the United Nations, suspicious that there was something keeping women from full-time jobs, launched an inquiry to see whether the Netherlands was in compliance with the women's rights treaty. A comprehensive 2009 study by Alison L. Booth & Jan C. Van Ours looked at the amount of time women in the Netherlands spend at work compared with women in other European countries. The authors assumed that part-time work was less desirable but ultimately confirmed that Dutch women don't want to spend more time at work. The NIS News Bulletin interpreted the results of the study as: "Attempts to get more women working full-time are doomed to failure because nobody has a desire for this. Both the women themselves and their partners and employers are satisfied with the Dutch part-time culture for women."
    Check link for full article

Interesting read. What do our local ladies think?
    That which comes into existence will eventually break apart and pass away

Seems logical to me: you werk less and your pay package will be smaller.

A Djinn

Thanks. Very interesting but

In 2000, a law was passed mandating that women have the right to cut back hours at their jobs without repercussions from employers.
    What?

Both the women themselves and their partners and employers are satisfied with the Dutch part-time culture for women."
    What?

Does anyone have a synonym for Going Dutch cause I don't think it is fitting anymore.
    Villain, I have done thy mother.

No wonder Europeans are happier, they chose not to work too hard! Now that's the place to be.

Super Grandmaster

I support the Dutch.

I do not like the creeping "Americanisation" of the work culture into other countries where they live to work and only get 3 weeks worth of holidays each year.

No sense of work/life balance is bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Why is your name Polish? You are not black?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I support the Dutch.

I do not like the creeping "Americanisation" of the work culture into other countries where they live to work and only get 3 weeks worth of holidays each year.

What if you need the money ?

I support the Dutch.

Better get used to it. The days of the free and easy lifestyle are coming to an end.

I support the Dutch.

Only 3 weeks ????

How many do you get ? I only get 3
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by blunomore View Post
    What if you need the money ?
    Yeah obviously then you can't take the holiday. But let's take the general case here - 3 weeks is too little IMO. Also they hardly have any public holidays, so they have a double whammy .

I'm pretty one of the reasons why there are many 'broken' families in the developed world is precisely because both parents are working full-time. I suppose one could argue that is not because of the obsession with getting wealthy but simply to make ends meet.

Nerfherder: I thought 4 weeks is the standard in SA? Or am I wrong? Also in SA one gets plenty of public holidays which should extend one's paid leave to ~ 5.5 weeks.
    Last edited by Chris; 23-11-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Why is your name Polish? You are not black?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Good principal. Specially for woman that want kids.
    You cannot cry equality and then stay home because your kids are sick or do not have a baby sitter, have maternity leave 5 times and and.
    I agree with this and I applaud them for being able to make the choice.

Was the liberation of women not more about the choices they can have than Women working themselves to death at work and at home?
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

No wonder, they don't have to support half the dark continent.

I'm not sure, but it's dark and there are LCD screens.

Are men extended the same rights to part-time work?
    Normal people want parties and sex, but all I need is octal and hex