Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telkom Wimax Worth it?

Question Telkom Wimax Worth it?

Hi fellow forum mates,

Since nothing that involves inter goes right with me and i am so use to getting the crap of the crappiest and the most badluck of all, does telkom wimax work? I belive i am about 100 meters from the exchange( at least i think so as telkom vans loves having parties there). My phone lines have been stolen at 2 different houses and the 1st time it got stolen i went to vodacom and struggled for 2 years getting them off my back ending up being blacklisted fighting them, Eventually won, listing been removed and also moved house in that time. Then the place i moved to lines got stolen and it has been 2 years. Telkom then finally phones ME and says they are going to put in wimax at 0 charge i just have to pay my normal montly line, and was told i can use any normal adsl account on the line ( wimax is 512kb/s).

So in the mean time i have also aquired MTN and contract iphone 4 where i play online games with (WoW) and manage to get a avg ms of 700 which is alot but at least i have a connection. What are the chances of the Wimax improving on this? anyone know if its more stable than 3G? I do know i tried to get Screamer out and install wimax and was told they could not see their tower and thus 0 screamer, but i know telkom is available and our neighbours uses the telkom wimax solution but only as a phone and not data so i cant even test it there.

Any info on telkom Wimax would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

How about trying the 'new' Cell-C internet? 5gig a month up to 21mbps Is it not covered in your area? It would probably person 10x better than your Telkom Wimax and cheaper.

If the 521kb speed is not a problem for you, then get it ..... 512kb WiMax is just as good as 512kb ADSL! ... the WiMax basically just connects you to the exchange.

You then just need to get an account with any ISP.
    I had friends on WiMax that got the same download speed & pings during gaming than everyone on "normal" ADSL

I have been using Telkom Wimax for 2 years and it is just as good if not better than 512 ADSL. R240 per month with no line rental. All you then need to do is pick your ISP.

I play WoW as well and with my current ISP I am sitting between 250 and 350 latency.

Just remember that Telkom will need to fix the Wimax external unit to a mount on the outside of your house.

i also recommend cell c's new data deal. i have 3x60gb data sims for 15gb a month. it has super fast speeds and excellent latency for online gaming.

so here's a question: is the cheapest uncapped 512kb deal at the moment to get telkom wimax and uncapped from mweb? any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tom110584 View Post
    i also recommend cell c's new data deal. i have 3x60gb data sims for 15gb a month. it has super fast speeds and excellent latency for online gaming.

so here's a question: is the cheapest uncapped 512kb deal at the moment to get telkom wimax and uncapped from mweb? any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
    Correct , I have been using telkom wimax since it came out and very few outages. Mweb is good as well, sometimes even get more than 512 speeds

is it true that telkom don't do any new wimax installations?

thanks for the Replies, I have considered the cell C option but because i live in a tiny bit of a dip the coverage is all round but about 200 Meters radius around my house there is none, i belive there is a 7 day money back, i might still try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by AllBrain View Post
    I have been using Telkom Wimax for 2 years and it is just as good if not better than 512 ADSL. R240 per month with no line rental. All you then need to do is pick your ISP.

I play WoW as well and with my current ISP I am sitting between 250 and 350 latency.

Just remember that Telkom will need to fix the Wimax external unit to a mount on the outside of your house.
    Btw what ISP are u using, i was planning to get Afrihost unshaped capped accounts, but to be honest i will jump ISP's every month till one gives me the MS i want, i dont care about cost! i want latency to be good and 250-350.. would have sex with my modem for those numbers!

yip

that sucks! any chance of them changing their policy in the future? i'd love uncapped internet but don't want to go the telkom phone line route as there are too many line rentals involved. using cell c at the moment - hope they can bring out an uncapped offering sometime this year. we're getting amazing speeds (8mbps) and the connection where i live is super stable, but those 15gb per month i paid for run out pretty fast thanks to 2gb+ psn and xbl demo downloads...

Super Grandmaster

uncapped 3g, you forgot we live in south africa :P
    Clevo P150HM ,I7 2720QM , 1080P 95% gamut display , 8GB 1333mhz ,Blueray rom ,750gb 7200RPM ,GTX 485M 675/1600
    Dell 29 inch ultrasharp.

i know - we're so far behind the rest of the first world. i can dream at least... 384 and 512kb/s uncapped internet is reasonably affordable here but you have to go through telkom and who wants to wait most of the day for your demo to download. on cell c it's done within 2 hours max. my brother-in-law is from holland and says his parents pay about R250 for super fast uncapped internet and cable tv all in one neat package.

Super Grandmaster

indeed how it works there, not speak how fast that 50mb fiber is!!
    Clevo P150HM ,I7 2720QM , 1080P 95% gamut display , 8GB 1333mhz ,Blueray rom ,750gb 7200RPM ,GTX 485M 675/1600
    Dell 29 inch ultrasharp.

I am getting my wimax install for free because our lines are stolen in the area and they said they are not planning to install new lines, meaning they will install the wimax for no charge. But if u just want wimax because u feel like it i dont think they will install it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast