Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Polo Vivo 1.4

Thanks very much for the info. Some of it was even useful.
    Its not critical that i put 17" tyres on the car (i bought it for my mother). I just don't like the feel of the 14" tyres. I'd be happy with a 15 or 16" tyre.

I just wanted to know what it would result in - what is the highest tyre size, width i can use safely, without damaging the vehicle. Also with regard to the warranty. I was told, if i change the tyres it would null the warranty on the suspension.
    However, another dealer told me i could put any tyre i choose (15", 16", 17") and the warranty would still hold... As long as the rim was a VW product.

This doesn't seem likely, however i will keep you guys posted.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanRED View Post
    I just wanted to know what it would result in - what is the highest tyre size, width i can use safely, without damaging the vehicle. Also with regard to the warranty. I was told, if i change the tyres it would null the warranty on the suspension.
    However, another dealer told me i could put any tyre i choose (15", 16", 17") and the warranty would still hold... As long as the rim was a VW product.
    Depends on the car and the rims.

You get 15" tires that are lighter and smaller than 13" tires. And so on and so forth.

For example:
    Standard tire on many small cars:
    Width/Height/Rim Diameter
    155/80/TR13:
    - Tire Diameter (cm): 57.912
    - Tire Circumference (cm): 181.864
    175/65/TR14:
    - Tire Diameter (cm): 58.42
    - Tire Circumference (cm): 183.642
    195/50/TR15
    - Tire Diameter (cm): 57.658
    - Tire Circumference (cm): 181.102

Notice that the 15" tire has smaller diameter and circumference than the 13" whereas the 14" tire is larger than both.
    That means that a car with those 15" tires won't lose performance because of the gearing effect of larger tires but the tires are much ticker which means grip has improved because there is a larger contact area between the road and car.
    Ideally you want to get a tire that has the same calculated circumference and diameter to your original but greater width.

Calculator located here: http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/calculators.html

Personally my car came with those exact spec'd 13" tires and I fit those exact 15" tires. The difference between the 2 is staggering, you cannot compare how much more grip 15" of those specs have. On the 13" you hardly have any grip @ 120km/h, the 15" tires I can easily go up to 180km/h and the car still feels completely stable. Also going around corners, mayor difference in stability.

It's not something many people can tell because they don't push their cars, but on the 13" I could only hit ~80km/h on a certain corner with the 15" I could go up to ~120km/h before I could feel the car start slipping (it is the same corner).

Both were Bridgestone tires btw.
    Last edited by Gnome; 10-01-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    Depends on the car and the rims.

You get 15" tires that are lighter and smaller than 13" tires. And so on and so forth.

For example:
    Standard tire on many small cars:
    Width/Height/Rim Diameter
    155/80/TR13:
    - Tire Diameter (cm): 57.912
    - Tire Circumference (cm): 181.864
    175/65/TR14:
    - Tire Diameter (cm): 58.42
    - Tire Circumference (cm): 183.642
    195/50/TR15
    - Tire Diameter (cm): 57.658
    - Tire Circumference (cm): 181.102

Notice that the 15" tire has smaller diameter and circumference than the 13" whereas the 14" tire is larger than both.
    That means that a car with those 15" tires won't lose performance because of the gearing effect of larger tires but the tires are much ticker which means grip has improved because there is a larger contact area between the road and car.
    Ideally you want to get a tire that has the same calculated circumference and diameter to your original but greater width.

Calculator located here: http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/calculators.html

Personally my car came with those exact spec'd 13" tires and I fit those exact 15" tires. The difference between the 2 is staggering, you cannot compare how much more grip 15" of those specs have. On the 13" you hardly have any grip @ 120km/h, the 15" tires I can easily go up to 180km/h and the car still feels completely stable. Also going around corners, mayor difference in stability.

It's not something many people can tell because they don't push their cars, but on the 13" I could only hit ~80km/h on a certain corner with the 15" I could go up to ~120km/h before I could feel the car start slipping (it is the same corner).

Both were Bridgestone tires btw.
    Surely the bigger rims add extra weight (from bigger alloys) should slow down your car and increase fuel consumption

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBoy View Post
    Surely the bigger rims add extra weight (from bigger alloys) should slow down your car and increase fuel consumption
    Lol go fly a kite. Theres some 19s that are lighter than the wheel you have on your car.

OP, Im sure the sticker in your petrol cap has tyre pressure amounts for 17's.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting 17s on, it wont make your car faster or slower.
    And depending on the wheel you choose, your car will look and handle better.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBoy View Post
    Slow it down, no. Increase fuel consumption yes. Also most cars sold by manufacturers today have steel rims (if it isn't alloy it's steel, they are easy to spot). Alloy rims are significantly lighter so you can increase the size without compromising weight ,only up to a point tho. The example I gave of going from 13" steelies to 15" alloys did increase my weight slightly but not by much.

Naturally whenever you have larger tires your rolling resistance increases so fuel consumption increases, how much however is the question. From 14" to 17" it'd probably be quite a bit but for a smaller tire like 13" to 15" doubt the increase is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by [Quattro] View Post
    it wont make your car faster or slower.
    Going from 14" to 17" your car will definitely be slower. Use a gear calculator and you'll see the huge difference in speed between 14" and 17"
    Last edited by Gnome; 11-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    Slow it down, no. Increase fuel consumption yes. Also most cars sold by manufacturers today have steel rims (if it isn't alloy it's steel, they are easy to spot). Alloy rims are significantly lighter so you can increase the size without compromising weight.

Going from 14" to 17" your car will definitely be slower. Use a gear calculator and you'll see the huge difference in speed between 14" and 17"
    If the Polo has steel rimz, the 17 alloys will probably weight the same.
    And btw, theres probably about 5 cars that come with steel wheels these days.

As for the speed, the first month there might be some drag, gear ratios will feel different, 2 - 3 months, 1000km later, it will all be back to normal.
    Im speaking from experience here. Although Ive never owned a 1.4.

And 18s are just way to big...

That just looks stupid.

It's like putting a massive tailpipe on the exhaust and drilling a hole in the silencer to make a 1300 sound more powerful. I mean wtf???
    I believe posters are recognised by their sig... so I made one.

Lol go fly a kite. Theres some 19s that are lighter than the wheel you have on your car.
    My very first car was a Toyota Corrolla 1.3 that came with 13" steel wheels. I then fitted it with 15" TSW Evo R Alloys and Pirelli P6000 tyres. The car looked awesome (almost like an RXI ) but boy was it slow off the mark.
    A classic case of all show and no go

VW Polo and Vivos are overpriced cars like the Toyota Tazz. There is also too much of them on the road and white in colour if i may add. I would not buy one personally and their prices is ridiciouless for what you are actualy getting. if you need a decent new car that has looks, space (4door) comfortability, low on fuel, nippy and nice to drive i would advice you to get a Getz.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Brawler View Post
    Its not so bad, it can work, but id hate to drive it...

I dont know, putting rims on the entry lvl vivo would be kiff if the rims werent too big.
    The standard wheel on the 3 door is so ****e, looks like a wheel that lost its hubcap!!
    I'd do it fo sho!!

Super Grandmaster

Real men don't pimp Polo Vivo 1.4's....
    Aan Wat Dink Jy Nie?
    50% off first month @ Afrihost

Quote Originally Posted by McGuywer View Post
    Real men don't pimp Polo Vivo 1.4's....
    +1

I believe posters are recognised by their sig... so I made one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast