Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5900RPM vs 7200RPM

Question 5900RPM vs 7200RPM

So I'm in the market for some storage hard drives, so backup my media and/or lanning. Now I want to know does the RPM really matter? Cause as far as I can make out it only matters when the drive is used for gaming/programs.

Also has anyone found a 2TB 7200 being sold anywhere? Preferably Seagate. Thank you

Looks more than adequate for your purposes:

Spin Speed (RPM) 5900 RPM
    Sustained data transfer rate 144Mb/s
    Average latency 4.16ms
    Random read seek time <12.0ms
    Random write seek time <13.0ms
    I/O data transfer rate 600MB/s
    Unrecoverable read errors 1 in 1014

I while back I looked at this as well and decided to go with Western Digital Green drives. Low speed, less power and great transfer speeds.

It's actually beneficial to use the lower-RPM drives for storage, since they generate less heat.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_jyno View Post
    It's actually beneficial to use the lower-RPM drives for storage, since they generate less heat.
    Agreed, heat is nobody's friend. And if you can save some power to it's a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by RVQ View Post
    I while back I looked at this as well and decided to go with Western Digital Green drives. Low speed, less power and great transfer speeds.
    I've had bad experiences with this series. WD's are usually pretty rock solid, but the Green series has been quite unreliable in my experience, quite a few failures.

hmmm, so given the recent replies to this thread, seems like it doesn't really matter about the rpm speed?

will look around for the SMD WD's then

Quote Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
    So I'm in the market for some storage hard drives, so backup my media and/or lanning. Now I want to know does the RPM really matter? Cause as far as I can make out it only matters when the drive is used for gaming/programs.

Also has anyone found a 2TB 7200 being sold anywhere? Preferably Seagate. Thank you
    I got one from TVR end of last year [www.tvr.co.za] - was dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by South_Bit View Post
    I've had bad experiences with this series. WD's are usually pretty rock solid, but the Green series has been quite unreliable in my experience, quite a few failures.
    Opposite for me, find them reliable,*knocks on wood. Got 5x2TB purchased the first two the day they landed in SA

Neither, go for Samsung EcoGreen. Cheaper and cooler and may very well be faster judging from some comments here.
    SouthBit Data Recovery - www.southbit.co.za
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

never going Samsung I need these drives to last, had way too many bad experiences with Samsungs

Interesting, as I'd go with the Samsungs and stay away from the WD Green. As I've said before it boils down to luck of the draw, any drive can fail any time. If you look after your drives then, if luck is on your side then you should have an equal chance with any brand of drive.

never going Samsung I need these drives to last, had way too many bad experiences with Samsungs
    It's all about luck hey.

So seeing as the WD Greens have well documented problems, seems you're left with the Seagate.

Reconsider the Samsung though. People have been raving about them and they've taken a huge market share since 2 years or so ago.
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts

my luck hasn't been all too good with samsung in the past, but then again I have two samsung 1TB hard drives right now, so... I honestly don't know what to get now.. which Samsung Eco Green are you talking about PostmanPot? link please?

my luck hasn't been all too good with samsung in the past, but then again I have two samsung 1TB hard drives right now, so... I honestly don't know what to get now.. which Samsung Eco Green are you talking about PostmanPot? link please?
    The F4 2TB is the one. Speeds up to around 70MB/s IIRC.

http://www.jump.co.za/products/price...b-3-5-32mb.htm
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast