Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Router at the moment

Default Best Router at the moment

Hi Guys,

Im currently looking for some advice on the best router at the moment for normal Home and Gaming use.

What would you suggest...?

Billion 810 VGTX is a pretty decent router. It has a USB port for a 3G failsafe.

Billion 7402NX is pretty decent too. Wireless N, ADSL 2+ and 3G.

Any D-Link or NetGear/Cisco routers, period.

I'll also put my vote in for Billion. My 7300G has served me well for almost 4 years now
    And thats the bottom line, cause StoneCold said so...
    Proud Openweb Gold Uncapped Unshaped user

Quote Originally Posted by vinodh View Post
    They must have throttled your cancellation request

billion BiPAC 7401VP, only one running without days without a restart for me.

sadly don't think they make it anymore.

think the 7401 is 7300 without voip, so all good range of routers
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

Web Africa Representative WAJeff's Avatar

I've been using a cheapy D-Link and SMC combo for ages now - served me well

Smile

As good as Billion may be, you can't put DD-WRT on it which turns your router into a beast of a router. I've flashed my Linksys with it, so I can do traffic splitting on local and international traffic.

Check out the supported routers here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

When I last checked out Buffalo routers, it came pre-installed with DD-WRT.

So that's my advice, pick a good router on that list and then read reviews on it.
    To keep up to date with your BF4 stats on WP8: Battlefield 4 Stats
    Shameless plug for my wife's hobby: The Little White Box

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VioAdmin View Post
    Any D-Link or NetGear/Cisco routers, period.
    NetGear and Cisco ADSL modems should be avoided.

Make no mistake, Cisco routers are brilliant, but don't expect to get decent SNR margins with Netgear/Cisco modems.
    Also, some, if not most NetGear modems/routers does not support bridge mode, which is a big failure/disappointment.

If you're in an area that gets struck by lightening on a regular basis, I would suggest that you buy an ADSL modem and a separate WiFi AP/router to minimize the costs in terms of ADSL modem replacements.

In terms of SNR margins, the D-Link and Siemens routers have the best noise margins from what I've seen on this forum.
    Apparently the Siemens 762SX's latencies are much better than the D-Link DSL-2500U's latencies, but I haven't tested them side-by-side yet myself.

I haven't heard anything bad from Billion routers yet, but neither have I seen exceptional comments on their behalf either

You can often find cheaper combinations (separate ADSL modem and WiFi AP/router) than single all-inclusive units.

If you can say exactly what you want we can narrow the routers/modems that you can choose from
    Options are: Gigabit LAN, Wireless N (802.11n), USB 2.0 for 3G/Storage, DD-WRT support, Router with half-bridge support, Separate ADSL modem

Hi Panda I am looking for for a good wireless router that does half bridge mode.I have a gigabit 8 port swithc allready.
    What would you recomend.
    Many thanks
    Johnathan

Super Grandmaster

I need to replace my modem (Belkin) which was struck by lighting, I'm glad I found this thread

What are people's opinions of Belkin modems?

Sorry for the hijack djroetz

so look like my Netgera DG834G v2 is giving up the ghost after a long haul.
    i am looking getting a linksys as a replacement (could not be botherd with another netgear actually)
    which linksys can you guys recommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darksun View Post
    so look like my Netgera DG834G v2 is giving up the ghost after a long haul.
    i am looking getting a linksys as a replacement (could not be botherd with another netgear actually)
    which linksys can you guys recommend ?
    This one: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/EU/en/products/WRT54GL
    Why? Because you can easilyy flash with DD-WRT and then write your own traffic splitting scripts and upload them to the router.
    To keep up to date with your BF4 stats on WP8: Battlefield 4 Stats
    Shameless plug for my wife's hobby: The Little White Box

I have a combo of Netgear DG834UK with a Trendnet - TEG-S50G 5 port gigabit switch and a Trendnet TEW-637AP wirless N upgrader

so i get the best of all 3 worlds.. Netgear DSL Router, 5 port gigabit switch, Wireless N 300Mbps

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

rogerwe: the Linksys WRT54GL is a broadband router and NOT an ADSL modem!

Aardvark: does the wireless router have to include an ADSL modem and 802.11n support?
    The WiFi AP's without ADSL modems are quite cheap. See scoopdistributions.co.za (consumers cannot buy here directly) & dbg.co.za (prices excludes VAT, but consumers can order directly) for WiFi AP's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast