Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaming mouse vs Regular mouse

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reedOsama View Post
    mx518 any good... and why the hell does it have dimples?
    Yup, the MX518 is a decent gaming mouse. If you have one already, you really don't need to get another gaming mouse!

Wrt your previous question: a high DPI simply allow the mouse to be more sensitive, but it won't imply that it would be able to track fast as well.
    Like I recently bought a VERY VERY cheap (R74) Logitech RX1000 laser mouse which has a 1000dpi sensor, compared to my MX500 which has an 800dpi sensor.
    The RX1000 works fine for office use and you can play some FPS games if you have a nice surface and a very high sensitivity. However, like I like to use a gaming mouse pad and low sensitivities and then that mouse completely lost track, where as I've never seen that happening to my old MX500

DAMN! I had a whole lengthy reply... but hit backspace and it's all gone.

Basically the summary is: Gaming mice are designed to have lower overall latencies in the mouse in sensing movement. The lower the latency, the more easily and accurately your brain can perform hand-brain-eye-brain-hand coordination.

Higher latencies is like having trying to control a puppet but with rubber bands instead of strings. The stiffer the rubber band the less delay from control to movement and the better your control over it, the more flexible the rubber band the more delays there are and the less control you would have over it.

There are several factors that affect the latencies but they'd need an entire article to explain properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    Yup, the MX518 is a decent gaming mouse. If you have one already, you really don't need to get another gaming mouse!

Wrt your previous question: a high DPI simply allow the mouse to be more sensitive, but it won't imply that it would be able to track fast as well.
    Like I recently bought a VERY VERY cheap (R74) Logitech RX1000 laser mouse which has a 1000dpi sensor, compared to my MX500 which has an 800dpi sensor.
    The RX1000 works fine for office use and you can play some FPS games if you have a nice surface and a very high sensitivity. However, like I like to use a gaming mouse pad and low sensitivities and then that mouse completely lost track, where as I've never seen that happening to my old MX500
    Yes there are two factors here: One is sensitivity (DPI) the other is Capture rate (Response time)
    A higher DPI allows resolving smaller movements and finer distance measurements.
    Faster Response is well faster and less latencies. This is what some call "UltraPolling"....

Grandmaster

mx518 any good... and why the hell does it have dimples?
    I've had a MX518 for years and love it!

The greyish model looks like it has dimples, but it's actually smooth. The colour just provides that illusion.

I hated the Mx1000.

Mostly you don't NEED a gaming mouse to game.

Quote Originally Posted by EffKay View Post
    DAMN! I had a whole lengthy reply... but hit backspace and it's all gone.

Basically the summary is: Gaming mice are designed to have lower overall latencies in the mouse in sensing movement. The lower the latency, the more easily and accurately your brain can perform hand-brain-eye-brain-hand coordination.

Higher latencies is like having trying to control a puppet but with rubber bands instead of strings. The stiffer the rubber band the less delay from control to movement and the better your control over it, the more flexible the rubber band the more delays there are and the less control you would have over it.

There are several factors that affect the latencies but they'd need an entire article to explain properly.
    hehe hate when that happens

so lower latency = good

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    I've had a MX518 for years and love it!

The greyish model looks like it has dimples, but it's actually smooth. The colour just provides that illusion.

I hated the Mx1000.

Mostly you don't NEED a gaming mouse to game.
    wow, it fooled me this whole time

and although you don't need a gaming mouse would you rather do with one then without... and say you go lan or are just playing dyu feel disadvantaged without your mouse?
    Sama - Japanese honorific, It is used mainly to refer to people much higher in rank than oneself
    My name has jack $h!% to do with Bin Laden

I can say a gaming mouse is way better than a normal mouse. You will start playing better and also they last longer before getting sticky, buttons wear out. Also the response in way better. The mouse also fits your hands better than a normal mouse. I still think calling them gaming mouses is ridiculous as you can really use it for office aswell

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by nelis View Post
    I can say a gaming mouse is way better than a normal mouse. You will start playing better and also they last longer before getting sticky, buttons wear out. Also the response in way better. The mouse also fits your hands better than a normal mouse. I still think calling them gaming mouses is ridiculous as you can really use it for office aswell
    The 'gaming mouse' trend is relatively new.

You get high quality mice that work perfectly fine as a 'gaming' mouse. None of my previous mice were labeled as gaming mice, yet with the exception of the MX1000, none of them had serious flaws.

The PS2 mice were limited by the PS2 port speeds.
    The balls mice were limited by the balls themselves.
    Unless you run extremely high sensitivity the extreme DPI rates won't help you either.
    Even the cheapest Logitech mouse now boast 1000dpi.

Even 800dpi gets you 1/8 degree accuracy if a 3.5" movement gives you 360deg rotation in an FPS. Plenty for pixel perfect tracking on the desktop at 1920x1080 as well unless you have very high sensitivity set as well.
    Last edited by Pyro; 17-01-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Grandmaster

hehe hate when that happens
    and although you don't need a gaming mouse would you rather do with one then without... and say you go lan or are just playing dyu feel disadvantaged without your mouse?
    We played games in the office on a few Fridays and weekends, the laptop wasn't the snappiest gaming machine, but there was three mouses that I've used there. One was laggy (I hate laggy mice), but the other two played UT3 just fine.

Yes I'd rather have my MX, and I'd recommend it to anybody, but don't blind yourself on the 'gaming mouse' marketing. Technology is marching onwards and even your budget mouse will improve over time.

If possible, try the mouse at a LAN or something, and get one you like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12