Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why does the location from my IP address not match my actual location?

Blog Entries

Question Why does the location from my IP address not match my actual location?

I am in Cape Town, but when i use my Cell c stick and test my speed, why is it saying i am in JHB on speedtest.net when i am in Cape Town?

I gather it has to do with the dynamic IP address it chooses every time. I have tried changing the IP to static under Profile management, but i don't have a Cape Town Ip address for Cell C network only PE, JHB surrounds....

Anyone know of a solution?

Hi Maximum_ian

The reason it shows location as Joburg is that currently our 2 major Packet Core's (all of the Cell Sites data connections go first to the Base Station Controller RNC, and then onto our National Fiber to the Packet Core) The Packet Core handles the accounting of your usage, along with connection management. At that point it drops onto the Internet in Joburg, thus the location data. We are in the process of adding a new Packet Core in Cape Town which should add a bit of performance on DL speeds and also decrease Ping times which bottom line will result in faster access and a better user experience.

Regards
    Ron

Ronald Reddick
    CTO
    Cell C

Blog Entries

Awesome, really looking forward to this, will be able to have better pings when gaming with my mates in Cape Town. So far i have been only able to play in JHB ping 90-110 and in CT its 280 - 320...

Please keep us updated as to when this will happen.

It is really great to hear form Cell C, because all the calls, and email made to the 140 number and tell trevor have gone unanswered.

Keep up the communication and good work.
    Intel I7 2600 3.7ghz, GTX680, 16gb DDR3, 2x SSD OCZ 240gb/ 128gb and Window 8 64 bit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo4GS View Post
    Hi Maximum_ian

The reason it shows location as Joburg is that currently our 2 major Packet Core's (all of the Cell Sites data connections go first to the Base Station Controller RNC, and then onto our National Fiber to the Packet Core) The Packet Core handles the accounting of your usage, along with connection management. At that point it drops onto the Internet in Joburg, thus the location data. We are in the process of adding a new Packet Core in Cape Town which should add a bit of performance on DL speeds and also decrease Ping times which bottom line will result in faster access and a better user experience.

Regards
    Ron

Ronald Reddick
    CTO
    Cell C
    Hi Ron,

Any news on the rollout of the new Packet Core in Cape Town?

Really excited about the future of Cell C.... please keep me updated.

thanks.
    Intel I7 2600 3.7ghz, GTX680, 16gb DDR3, 2x SSD OCZ 240gb/ 128gb and Window 8 64 bit

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maximum_ian View Post
    I am in Cape Town, but when i use my Cell c stick and test my speed, why is it saying i am in JHB on speedtest.net when i am in Cape Town?

I gather it has to do with the dynamic IP address it chooses every time. I have tried changing the IP to static under Profile management, but i don't have a Cape Town Ip address for Cell C network only PE, JHB surrounds....

Anyone know of a solution?
    Here it is reversed. When I do a speedtest, I usually get Cape Town - but I live in Gauteng

I can't complain though.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT

Quote Originally Posted by maximum_ian View Post
    please keep me updated.
    +1
    Any updates on this forum will be appreciated, perhaps a monthly "state of the network" address

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wndrbees View Post
    +1
    Any updates on this forum will be appreciated, perhaps a monthly "state of the network" address
    wow, whats happening tonight in Cape Town... super high pings and Slow speeds both up an down??? upgrades perhaps???

Question Visit Gumtree from CellC speedstick - what city does it detect you as?

I live in Cape Town and when I visit gumtree.co.za with my CellC dongle, it detects me as being from Cape Town. Yet doing a geoip lookup on maxmind.com with the IP that CellC hits the website from, it's a JHB registered address.

Question:
    * If you live in JHB and visit gumtree.co.za does it give you the JHB gumtree site?

If it does give you JHB when you are in Gauteng, my question is, how the hell do GumTree.co.za know the difference?
    (I have tried it without any cookies or history too so a manual selection of city isn't stored)
    Last edited by def; 08-06-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Funny thing I found about about modems and speedtest

Well Speeds are slow as ever my side, so I popped in the CellC sim onto my Vodafone modem and did a speed-test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1325449226.png

than on my CellC modem

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1325453417.png

Apart from speeds being slow, its funny to find that testing on the Vodacom modem picked up the server as a Durban one (My location), but when using the CellC modem picked me up as being in Joburg
    Last edited by SUPERMAN89; 03-06-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby23 View Post
    Different hardware so most likely ends up picking up a different tower with a different IP
    I seriously doubt that.

Geolocation by IP address is not an exact science. Please see note in first post in Speed Test Results thread.

Blog Entries

The thing is that how come the vodafone modem picked my location but the cellc one didn't? With the same simcard. Understand the whole exchange thing, but the modem???

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERMAN89 View Post
    The thing is that how come the vodafone modem picked my location but the cellc one didn't? With the same simcard. Understand the whole exchange thing, but the modem???
    Are you able to repeat those results?

Sometimes I get an IP address in the 41.51.0.0-41.51.255.255 range, sometimes I get one in the 197.168.0.0-197.175.255.255 range. Sometimes I'm behind a transparent proxy, and sometimes not. I can disconnect and reconnect (with the same modem, SIM card and Cell ID) straight away and end up on the other address range. Whether speedtest.net gest your location correct or not all depends on how recent and accurate their geolocation data is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    Are you able to repeat those results?
    My Vodafone modem with the CellC simcard picked up in joberg, just did a speedtest not so long ago.

Oh well, it was interesting to know that for that particular day, and hour my Vodafone modem with the same Cell C simcard picked up my exact location

Using CellC I sometimes get sites think I am from a French speaking country. Mozilla comes to mind when I wanted to download Firefox it pointed me to the French version.
    Not sure if it still does.

* If you live in JHB and visit gumtree.co.za on CellC does it give you the JHB gumtree site?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast