Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Online penny-auctions and Consumer Protection Regulations

Default Online penny-auctions and Consumer Protection Regulations

Online penny-auctions and Consumer Protection Regulations

New Consumer Protection Regulations, currently published as a draft for public comment, could be bad news for sites such as Smokoo, Bidchaser, Kooldeals, and ViaZiz

Smokoo is such a complicated system - I think it's fair to call it somewhat misleading. Not only do you have to multiply the value in rands by 20 or 100 to get the real value, but you aren't really bidding on an item! It's a total lottery as to who wins.

Grandmaster

those sites are a waste of time and money

finally...
    i met one of the founders... told me that if parents spent all their money on his site trying to buy cheap xmas presents for their children, yet ended up losing (spending) so much they actually couldn't afford to buy anything at all in the end, he doesn't care.

sure, the site might be legal, but its immoral

Smokoo is such a complicated system...
    There's nothing complicated about smokoo. Each bid adds either 5c or 1c to the items price (depending on the value of the product - it is advertised), so you can work out how many times people have bid, yet, each bid costs the bidder 1 credit = R5.00 to do so. Thus, even though there is a bidder that gets a product on the cheap, there are actually tens to hundreds of other bidders, thus paying for the product many times over.

Smokoo IS A SCAM! How dare they claim to be an Auction with a straight face. Easy come, easy go... OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

On the other hand, if people are stupid enough to blow their money on this drivel, they probably deserve it.
    Last edited by stricken; 27-01-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaesthesia View Post
    Smokoo is such a complicated system - I think it's fair to call it somewhat misleading. Not only do you have to multiply the value in rands by 20 or 100 to get the real value, but you aren't really bidding on an item! It's a total lottery as to who wins.
    I don't think it's accurate to call it a lottery in the strict sense of the word as the winner isn't drawn from a pool of entrants. Similar to an auction it's about whoever bids last. It is still quite unlike conventional auctions though, as the eventual price you pay isn't just linked to the bid price but also the amount of bids you had to put in to win.

In terms of the Gambling Act, a gambling game is a game that requires one to pay (in any form) to play the game, and if by playing the game the person would be entitled to receive a “pay-out,” Michalson explained.
    Wait, so any professional sport is gambling according to Michalson? Pro sportmens (like golfers) pay an entry fee to a tournament, and are entitled to receive a pay-out by playing the game.

Smookoo is most definitely not an auction site - it's definitely closer to gambling.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. -Pablo Picasso

Smokoo is a smokescreen for a scam

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    I don't think it's accurate to call it a lottery in the strict sense of the word as the winner isn't drawn from a pool of entrants. Similar to an auction it's about whoever bids last. It is still quite unlike conventional auctions though, as the eventual price you pay isn't just linked to the bid price but also the amount of bids you had to put in to win.
    Sure, lottery is probably not the most apt word, but you really take a chance every time you bid, since there are 10 more seconds during which anyone can bid.

Quote Originally Posted by rbarryza View Post
    Wait, so any professional sport is gambling according to Michalson? Pro sportmens (like golfers) pay an entry fee to a tournament, and are entitled to receive a pay-out by playing the game.
    So are the machines in arcades. Some of the machines reward you with tokens, and those tokens you in turn use to buy the fluffy teddy bear for your Gfriend.

Can't say I have the money to spend on testing the site out but I'm pretty sure if I did I would end up loosing the money

DOWN WITH SMOKOO!!!!

Great news. The PPI and CPA will also impact on spammers and the annoyances of direct marketing too. Long overdue.
    Scotland: Say "No!" to independence!

Grandmaster
    South of the Jacarandas and north of the Jukskei

Quote Originally Posted by stricken View Post
    There's nothing complicated about smokoo. Each bid adds either 5c or 1c to the items price (depending on the value of the product - it is advertised), so you can work out how many times people have bid, yet, each bid costs the bidder 1 credit = R5.00 to do so. Thus, even though there is a bidder that gets a product on the cheap, there are actually tens to hundreds of other bidders, thus paying for the product many times over.

Smokoo IS A SCAM! How dare they claim to be an Auction with a straight face. Easy come, easy go... OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

On the other hand, if people are stupid enough to blow their money on this drivel, they probably deserve it.
    Nicely said. Especially the last 2 statements!

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast