Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Car with no papers ?

Default Buying a Car with no papers ?

Ok, so what is required , needed or important to know about buying a car with no papers ?

I have seen a few cars around on gumtree and junkmail for sale, and one or 2 state "no Papers" , what is required of the seller in a these cases, and what is required of the buyer WRT paperwork?
    Who is required to have what papers for purposes of the sale?
    Does the year model count WRT to certain paperwork, i.e pre 1960 model cars ?
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

Far as I know "no papers" implies does not exist as far as the traffic department is concerned. In other words, good luck getting it on the road legally ever again...
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by enigma243 View Post
    Far as I know "no papers" implies does not exist as far as the traffic department is concerned. In other words, good luck getting it on the road legally ever again...
    Thats just it, knowing what papers to have , where to go and how much "grease" i need for the right palms in the right places.
    Not so much an exercise in futility, but an exercise in bureaucracy.

Super Grandmaster

i wouldn't go there...

This may cause more pain than it's worth.
    Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence.

I bought a bike before without papers and to get it registered is really not worth the effort.

If it has no papers, it's only good for parts...
    "Don't be in a hurry, Death will find you." - spiderz, 16/01/2014

Blog Entries

My Mother in law and her family often buy cars/bikes without papers. They know who to phone and what to do and they still struggle. they bought a maxima with front damage and fixed it almost a year ago. They still dont have the papers because the original owner died and the papers are held in the will. They bought it from the recipiant of the will but there is something holding the whole thing up, so they are still fighting more than a year later for the papers of the car.

Not worth it unless its like R5k and you want a challenge....
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

First you need to take it for police clearance, to make sure it is not stolen.
    Then you need to weigh it at a weighing station, and put it through road worthy.
    then you can re register it.

A lot of work, and about 3 days where you are just going to wait in lines. But it is do able, if you have the time and patience.

Alternatively if you have receipts for engines, chassis, labour and parts you can register it as a rebuilt car. (most classic cars gets one this way, I did it with my mini, and it wasn't too much of a hassle. It is code 3 then though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gargmel View Post
    Then you need to weigh it at a weighing station, and put it through road worthy.

A lot of work, and about 3 days where you are just going to wait in lines. But it is do able, if you have the time and patience.

Alternatively if you have receipts for engines, chassis, labour and parts you can register it as a rebuilt car. (most classic cars gets one this way, I did it with my mini, and it wasn't too much of a hassle. It is code 3 then though.)
    Yep that is the procedure.
    Neighbour wanted to sell me a trailer with no papers and no stamp on the trailer itself. Contacted a Traffic Officer I know who looked up on their database to the registration number that was on the trailer to discover it was sold a couple of years ago, number changed and this trailer belongs to someone else, obviously another trailer and the registration number that is on the trailer belongs to some BMW.
    His comment was this just gets curiouser and curiouser.
    I phoned around and saw that it was going to be a mission to get this trailer in my name so I left it.
    According to the Traffic Officer you will need to get a Police Clearance using affidavits in order to start the ball rolling before you can take it for roadworthy and the rest.
    Too much trouble with no help from the neighbour. I suspect the person who did buy it will drive the trailer around as is and some poor guy who owns the BMW will be getting traffic fines with a picture of a trailer attached. Not my problem.
    Last edited by BTTB; 31-01-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    You can take Telkom out of the Post Office but you can't take the Post Office out of Telkom.
    Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    Expecting a corporate to do something out of a spirit of goodwill is about as efective as expecting to win a lottery without purchasing a ticket. It ain't gonna happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Gargmel View Post

Ok the time and patience thing are easy, and the code 3 doesnt really bother me either.

I subsequently also discovered that there are vehicle registration consultants
    who actually offer to do pretty much most of that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BTTB View Post
    Too much trouble with no help from the neighbour.
    That is the impression i get from some of the sellers, is that they are too bloody lazy to re-register the vehicle themselves, and would rather dump the hassle on the new owner.

Just for interest's sake, what car is worth this much hassle? And at what price? I trust it's something at least moderately collectable?
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

Just for interest's sake, what car is worth this much hassle? --- I trust it's something at least moderately collectable?
    Cars like these

http://www.mgpmrc.com/Articles/legen...hevy_coupe.jpg

http://image.automotive.com/f/featur...h_coupe%2B.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3Bf...eature=related

http://1940chevrolet.com/images/juniorawardpicture.jpg

You are hereby excused.
    Thanks

Cars today are boring, those old cars, had style and panache, the trick is to find a runner, not a rustbucket I have to build up.
    As one old enthusiast told me " Find one that runs and is still on the road, you can always work on it, but you want to enjoy it at the same time. Anything that is in someones garage gathering dust, is only going to gather dust in your garage"
    Figured it was good advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast