Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Child shoots another in head

Default Article: Child shoots another in head

A seven-year-old boy was in a critical condition after being shot In the head by another child in De Deur, near Vereeniging, on Friday night, Gauteng paramedics said.

You can view the page at http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/content....nother-in-head
    Last edited by jes; 05-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.

This is why we keep our safe out of reach from children.Children should not even know about a firearm in the house and it should not be kept where they can easily access it.

Blog Entries

One of the many reasons why I will never own a gun.
    glorp

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    I don't think it should be a reason. If proper gun safety is maintained then this would never happen.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    I don't think it should be a reason. If proper gun safety is maintained then this would never happen.
    One reason amongst many.

Logically though: Chance of someone accidentally getting shot with a gun that does not exist = 0%; Chance of it happening with gun I own = more than 0%. Seems simple to me.
    glorp

+1

And how many people end up getting shot with their own guns. I'm not anti guns but it's something I will never own.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Meh, that's just such a knee-jerk in my view. I've read your next post, and in principle I agree but it's so easy to shout "no guns for me" in response. My personal view is, in many such instances, the parents of these kids would've ended up driving over their sprogs if they didn't shoot themselves first. It points to irresponsible parenting, either through ignorance or disinterest.

The problem is the gun-owner, not the gun.
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enigma243 View Post
    Meh, that's just such a knee-jerk in my view. I've read your next post, and in principle I agree but it's so easy to shout "no guns for me" in response. My personal view is, in many such instances, the parents of these kids would've ended up driving over their sprogs if they didn't shoot themselves first. It points to irresponsible parenting, either through ignorance or disinterest.

The problem is the gun-owner, not the gun.
    You read my other post, so I'd just be repeating myself.

I guess I do have an issue in general with a device designed primarily to kill. At the end of the day that is what guns are designed to do - Poke holes in a living organism until it dies.

I've just never had the slightest inclination to own one, and can't imagine that changing.
    glorp

Blog Entries

Agreed. I made that decision long ago.

I know I may need a gun to defend myself one day, but the risks of having a different accident with the gun like the accident quoted above are too high and outweigh the chances of me having to use it to defend myself.
    Besides, even when I go to use the gun to defend myself, the chances of having it used against me, or stolen from me and used against another innocent are also too high for me to take that risk.

It's a lose, lose situation as far as I am concerned.

You read my other post, so I'd just be repeating myself.

I guess I do have an issue in general with a device designed primarily to kill. At the end of the day that is what guns are designed to do - Poke holes in a living organism until it dies.

I've just never had the slightest inclination to own one, and can't imagine that changing.
    No worries. I used your post more as a springboard than to criticise your position on the matter. If you don't like the idea of having a firearm that's just dandy; all I'm saying is it's a short step from there to blaming guns instead of people.
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    Agreed. I made that decision long ago.

I know I may need a gun to defend myself one day, but the risks of having a different accident with the gun like the accident quoted above are too high and outweigh the chances of me having to use it to defend myself.
    Besides, even when I go to use the gun to defend myself, the chances of having it used against me, or stolen from me and used against another innocent are also too high for me to take that risk.

It's a lose, lose situation as far as I am concerned.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma243 View Post
    No worries. I used your post more as a springboard than to criticise your position on the matter. If you don't like the idea of having a firearm that's just dandy; all I'm saying is it's a short step from there to blaming guns instead of people.
    Perversely, I've always wanted to try target shooting. Go figure.
    glorp

Blog Entries

Perversely, I've always wanted to try target shooting. Go figure.
    I have a BB gun for that!

Guys... you forget one thing.

Who is responsible for your safety? And for the safety of your family?

Then ask the question... Would I own a gun?
    Sure... if the poo hits the fan, you call the cops... because they have guns. Unfortunately, they're unreliable and poorly trained.

It is very naive to say: "Guns are bad", when you depend on others to carry guns to maintain the fragile illusion of order that we live in.
    The fact that guns are specifically designed to kill things... well... awesome! As opposed to things that kill things by accident, like cars and hair driers.

You, as a human being, are a killer. If you eat the flesh of a dead animal you should have no qualms in dealing with the safety of you and your family on the front lines.

Easy to not believe in gun ownership when you pay R500 a month for "Armed Response" and think the cops will come around if you need em.
    I've trained some security company personnel, and I wouldn't trust their driving let alone their use of a firearm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OverKill69 View Post
    Guys... you forget one thing.

Who is responsible for your safety? And for the safety of your family?
    That is exactly the reason why I will not own a gun. I am responsible for their safety.
    Should I bring a live poisonous snake into my house to kill intruders?
    It's not the snake that kills people, but the handler that didn't keep it properly.
    The point is... these are dangerous objects.
    And guns themselves are often sought out in the case of armed robberies.
    I don't have a safe, I don't have a gun, I don't keep large amounts of cash, I don't have fancy vehicles, I don't live in a house that advertises that I am rich.
    Those are all liabilities.
    I have electric fencing, armed response, panic buttons, automatic lights, life and contents insurance, etc.
    Those are not liabilities, those are security features.

Super Grandmaster

*and this is also why you should not get children, because the world has enough people as it is.*
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmeister View Post
    LOL I have the exact same lava lamp

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast