Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Dating website steals SA Facebook profiles

Super Grandmaster

Default Dating website steals SA Facebook profiles

As someone said in the comment section: what is the legal recourse if I am followed by hundreds of eligible women?

Source: News 24

Johannesburg - An American dating website has stolen the personal information of about 250 000 people, including a number of South Africans, from their Facebook profiles and posted it on the dating site without their knowledge.

The website, www.lovely-faces.com, promises to connect you to a suitable partner. They have divided men and women into categories according to the information they have posted on Facebook. They have categorised them as “climber”, “easy going”, “funny”, “mild”, “sly” and “smug”.

People are also categorised according to nationality and gender.

Users of the website can click on any person’s name and are then led to a description of the person.

Chris Gandy, an American girl described as “mild”, is one of those whose profile was hijacked without her knowledge.

The website describes her interests as Applestudents, Tuckermax and Jarette Howell Photography Design, according to what she has listed for her Facebook friends.

Users can rate Gandy out of five on how “cool” she is, after which they are taken directly to her Facebook profile.

The website is an experiment aimed at warning people about how dangerous internet social networks are, is how Paolo Cirio and Alessandro Ludovic, the creators of the dating site, tried to explain their objective to Mailonline.com.

“Facebook, an endlessly cool place for so many people, becomes at the same time a goldmine for identity theft and dating - unfortunately, without the user’s control. But that’s the very nature of Facebook and social media in general,” according to a statement on their website.

The bosses of Facebook have come out very strongly against the website’s abuse (what they label “scraping”) of users’ information. They said they will “take appropriate action”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Why is your name Polish? You are not black?

CLOSE them DOWN...idiots

Super Grandmaster

I wonder if these apply to "open" (no privacy) profiles only.

As disturbing as this is, the problem would be magnified if people who had appropriate privacy settings also has their information stolen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Why is your name Polish? You are not black?

This kind of thing needs to start being treated as seriously as real ID theft TBH.

its not even a real dating website, its a slap in the face to say "hey,look what we can do with your facebook data"
    its harmless and its a wake up call
    Axxess my new favorite ISP

Grandmaster

just another way to show how intrusive facebook really is... don't blame these guys, blame facebook... they facilitate this sort of exploitation....

If it truly is an experiment to demonstrate how easy it is to take information from Facebook profiles then well done to them. People need to stop placing their personal information in the public domain and expecting people not to take advantage of it.

If it isn't a real dating site then why close it down? Let people see the consequences of their idiocy.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Quote Originally Posted by Pavan View Post
    just another way to show how intrusive facebook really is... don't blame these guys, blame facebook... they facilitate this sort of exploitation....
    I disagree. Blame the muppets that put their personal information on display to the world.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Grandmaster

Well I guess you're right... if they didnt put it up, it wouldn't be available for exploitation...

a whole 28 south african chicklets, not much to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    I disagree. Blame the muppets that put their personal information on display to the world.
    Finally, a voice of reason.
    No gods nor kings. Only Man.

That's what happens when people don't set their privacy settings correctly. With me, people who aren't my friends can only see my profile pic and where i;m from, that is all.
    Last edited by Rosaudio; 08-02-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    McLAREN MERCEDES
    Twitter Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rosaudio View Post
    That's what happens when people don't set their provacy settings correctly. With me, people who aren't my friends can only see my profile pic and where i;m from, that is all.
    That depends which people you're talking about.

You can be sure the devs can see everything regardless of which radioButton you've enabled.

Though I'm not sure if they count as people
    Historical Significance

Damn they have no search function for anal sex enjoyment or not

No spit or swallow, this is seriously important info that they just leave out.

why would you want anal sex when there is a vagina on the other side?