Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are South Africa's Software Developers?

Default Where are South Africa's Software Developers?

Where are SAs Software Developers?

Latest CareerJunction Index reveals a worrying shortage of Software Developers in South Africa

Hello pay increase!!!
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

While (salary <= insult)
    {
    worker.move(overseas)
    }

I'm trying to teach myself C# ... Used to be ok in VB6, then moved out of the field completely, but opportunity has knocked at my door again... So I dove into MS Visual Studio 2008, tried C#, but not as easy to me as VB ... so using VB.Net at the moment... Will still try C# tho!
    i7 2600K @3.8 | GA Z68P-DS3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD | 16gb HyperX Red | GTX670 Windforce | Antec H2O 920 | CM 600W Silent Pro M | CM HAF 922 | 27" IPS WQHD

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Hello pay increase!!!
    My boss said no
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
    I'm trying to teach myself C# ... Used to be ok in VB6, then moved out of the field completely, but opportunity has knocked at my door again... So I dove into MS Visual Studio 2008, tried C#, but not as easy to me as VB ... so using VB.Net at the moment... Will still try C# tho!
    Persevere with C# if you can, it's a very good language and is actually far clearer and simpler than VB when you get used to the syntax. It is much more structured and intuitive once you learn the conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
    People still code in VB? Seriously though c# is a far more logical language. I find VB syntax annoying.

As to where the Developers have gone, they're still around but until companies treat them better they will always be short job hoppers. There still seems to be an employer mentality that developers are similar to support IT staff.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

Soon companies are going to start relocating certain divisions like development to other countries then let’s see how governments plans to increase jobs without skilling/educating the youth works out

Super Grandmaster

I got headhunted by a company offering a 35% increase on my current salary. Starting that job at the end of the month. They don't even want me to do actual development for them, but rather function in a design role due to my strong soft-skills.
    It has to be said though, up until very recently, thanks to the recession, companies didn't really want to fork out for the experience, offering relatively small salaries. During the last 3 months or so, that I've noticed anyway, things have started to get momentum again and companies are starting to offer proper salaries again. They shouldn't complain about not being able to find people if they aren't prepared to offer very tempting packages.

Quote Originally Posted by rsd View Post
    Persevere with C# if you can, it's a very good language and is actually far clearer and simpler than VB when you get used to the syntax. It is much more structured and intuitive once you learn the conventions.

I agree with u completely... C# is the way to go! I just have a deadline and need to get the job done. But longterm, I will convert the VB Code to a C# project. Then its gonna be Java (neva done it), Want to be able to offer my client an Android version...

@kosmik .. it depends where one started ... C# is a little greek to me at the moment... but I'll get there!
    Last edited by SirFooK'nG; 14-02-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    i7 2600K @3.8 | GA Z68P-DS3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD | 16gb HyperX Red | GTX670 Windforce | Antec H2O 920 | CM 600W Silent Pro M | CM HAF 922 | 27" IPS WQHD

Quote Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
    While (salary <= insult)
    {
    worker.move(overseas)
    }
    TBH the bigger problem is being forced to either:
    a) prop up less skilled workers being the same (if not more) than you
    b) deal with management that has no idea of how to manage the SDLC

I know a lot of developers (being a geek thats no suprise) but I struggle to think of people who can effectively manage development.

It's simple. Pay sucks, and companies rather outsource overseas (especially India it seems)... I know a few VERY good developers that left the country.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. -Pablo Picasso

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
    I know a lot of developers (being a geek thats no suprise) but I struggle to think of people who can effectively manage development.
    That's a big issue I hear a lot of people complain about. The people who actually understand what's required make rubbish managers and the people who are excellent managers don't know what the hell is going on. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's generally the situation.

I coded C, C++ and Delphi for 5 years.
    The salary for software development isn't fantastic and other IT positions such as senior system administrators are more relaxed and pay just as well.
    Why have the headache of always racing against deadlines due to someone else's bad planning and scope creep when you can do less and get the same pay?
    I'm not a stressaholic - maybe there are people who enjoy the stress of software development while working under clueless management.

We're in Cape Town. Pay us moar.
    WesBank
    How Can We Rape You?

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast