Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SMS spam in South Africa: How to deal with it

Default SMS spam in South Africa: How to deal with it

SMS spammers in SA: How to deal with them

The Direct Marketing Association of South Africa (DMA) offer advice to consumers on how to deal with spammers

Pieter Streicher, managing director of BulkSMS.com, explained that the responsibility of dealing with spam lies firmly on the shoulders of the local operators.
    Yes, It's never your fault is it? Blame the operators why don't you?

Currently some local operators are unable to even trace spam messages from international sources after specific instances have been reported, let alone proactively block or filter these messages,” Streicher said.
    Bull****! They know exactly who called and who SMS'ed who and when, they just don't care to sort it out.

It's all a digital system, keeping logs of everything that happens FFS! Aren't networks etc. even supposed to keep records of which IP adress was assigned to who, for 3 years or something? Now they supposedly can't tell you where an SMS came from? K@k man!
    I have never taken the high road. But I tell other people to 'cause then there's more room for me on the low road.

Is there no way to block all SMS' that do not feature in your address book? That seems to be the most logical method of dealing with unwanted messages. If the origin number is not on your file then you don't want to get it - bounce it back to sender.

Or, if you have a smartphone, block all SMS messages and only use services like Skype or Mxit.

Another thing people are going to have to do is stop giving their cell numbers to big companies - who are the origin of spam lists to begin with.

One of my biggest hates is those competitions where you have to enter friends details in. So your 'friend' puts your number in to the list and bingo - you're subscribed to somebody else's spam. /facepalm

I've successfully reported a couple of spammers to WASPA before, and it has seemed to work. also, you can go to www.smscode.co.za if you have one of those 5-digit sms shortcodes if you want to see who it belongs to.

Wugger

My problem is that I don't want to let the spammer know that they got a 'live number'. Heck, if I were an sms spammer I would send out random messages to numbers I get from gumtree/vodacom, whoever. Each message would have an opt out that costs as little as possible.

Then, whenever I receive an opt-out request I know this guy actually uses his phone and reads his messages! Bingo, found a number that I can now spam the #$%@#$ out of, as this person exists

How many here expect spammers to play by the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Then, whenever I receive an opt-out request I know this guy actually uses his phone and reads his messages! Bingo, found a number that I can now spam the #$%@#$ out of, as this person exists

How many here expect spammers to play by the rules?
    Exactly.

Where's the bit on "How to deal with them"...duh?

"You can do so by sending a single SMS to the DMA. SMS DMA followed by a space and then your ID number, to 34385 or call the call centre on 0861 DMA DMA (362 362)."
    source:www.ecr.co.za

SMS's charged at R45.00 per sms
    just kidding

I just like that they have to pay money to do it. Email spam uses *my* money (my infrastructure), but that SMS spammer had to pay for that message. Hehehe...

Quote Originally Posted by iCare View Post
    Where's the bit on "How to deal with them"...duh?
    Here's one way:

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    While the Wireless Application Service Providers' Association (WASPA) is overwhelmed by billing complaints according to Streicher, he said that to combat SMS spam it is necessary for the broader public to report it to WASPA and insist on a formal review where appropriate.
    Here's another:

Poloko Motlhabani, the complaints co-ordinator at the DMA explained that the organistion provides a Do Not Contact (DNC) list which “aids in reducing the amount of unwanted and unsolicited Direct Marketing consumers receive from our members.”
    And another way:

Motlhabani suggested that consumers directly contact companies that send them unsolicited communications and notify them that they are acting in contravention of both your rights and South African legislation.

Most companies that are made aware that the DMA knows they are spamming admit their mistake and adjust their business practices, Motlhabani said.

Bulk SMS services should be outlawed. That is the only way to effectively deal with them. Break the law and throw the pricks in jail for a few months.
    I have to pay, to get unsubscribed from a service that did not have my consent ? that is absolute crap.

Super Grandmaster

SMS spam is here to stay
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Quote Originally Posted by Slootvreter View Post
    SMS spam is here to stay
    Not to mention email spam!
    While I can understand international spam, local spam is also getting out of hand.
    This PHP List email spam must surely rank the biggest pain in the derrière to befall my email box. I have unsubscribed from that list many many times. That being said it has quietened down a bit of late, who knows maybe they got the message the last time I stated I am going to report them on MyBroadband, Hellopeter and to their domain administrator for unsolicited spam.
    You can take Telkom out of the Post Office but you can't take the Post Office out of Telkom.
    Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    Expecting a corporate to do something out of a spirit of goodwill is about as efective as expecting to win a lottery without purchasing a ticket. It ain't gonna happen!

Master

Somebody needs to develop a Mailwasher version for SMS!

I got an sms saying U r subscribed to CSMS unlimited babes club. Cost R14 every 4 days. For help call 0114613153. To unsubscribe, sms STOP to 31784..... Any ideas ladies (or gents) can anyone tell me the physical address of this landline so I can knock on their door please!!

Quote Originally Posted by surfs-up View Post
    Bulk SMS services should be outlawed. That is the only way to effectively deal with them. Break the law and throw the pricks in jail for a few months.
    I have to pay, to get unsubscribed from a service that did not have my consent ? that is absolute crap.
    No do not throw them in jail.. Cut their balls off
    “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” Theodore Hesburgh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast