Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Blackberry vs iPhone

Lightbulb Blackberry vs iPhone

I'm sure someone has posted a similar topic but I can't seem to find something along these lines. I'm looking to get a smartphone and weighing up the pros and cons of blackberry vs iphone. I'm not IT inclined so the main use of the phone would be to make calls, internet, 3G and use some applications. Why would an average person choose the one over the other? Which would serve to be the better option?

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alyce-in-wonderland View Post
    I'm sure someone has posted a similar topic but I can't seem to find something along these lines. I'm looking to get a smartphone and weighing up the pros and cons of blackberry vs iphone. I'm not IT inclined so the main use of the phone would be to make calls, internet, 3G and use some applications. Why would an average person choose the one over the other? Which would serve to be the better option?
    LOL. Some would say neither of those count as smartphones.

You want the HTC Desire HD. Now that's a smartphone.

Hello Alyce

You left out Android - probably had a good reason, though. I use android because it PRECISELY meets my needs. Yours?

Make Calls: iPhone had that dropped calls things. Someone else can advise if this is fixed or not. But, for that fault, BB wins. Android comes second but the Dial/Disconnect button being one has caused me endless irritation.

Internet: iPhone's Safari - if it is still anything like I remember - beats the other two hands down.

3g: please explain. If you mean to use as a 3G modem, Android wins because you can create a temp WiFi hotspot on it and share the connection with whatever. I believe this is now possible on iP and BB but I cannot say for sure.

Some apps: Android needs to be rooted to BUY apps although many free ones do exist. iP and Android both have market limitations, in fact. Dunno about BB but I have heard it is better so maybe BB can win this one.

Research some more and I am sure others will correct/contradict me above. An aside: all the kids think BBM or whatever it is called is "cool". My kids were talking about it yesterday in the car. I just thought "whatever"...
    ★ mAcme for Mac OS X & 3G | Antenna & Tower Help
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru
    Block WASPs on MTN. Dial *141*5# Select Content Billing.

Hi Alyce

I currently own an iPhone 4 and a Blackberry Bold (which is getting on a bit). Haven't worked with Android yet, though I'd like to give it a whirl sometime as I like the idea. But friends who have Android phones have complained about having to be 'rooted' in order to use the Android App Store (whatever it is called). To me it sounds like they're having endless hassles getting the stuff they want, which takes Android right out of the loop for me. Also, because Apple has such strict control over the apps in the iTunes store, 99% of them work as advertised, whereas I've heard of many Android apps crashing repeatedly, etc. With that said, I've had some apps crash on me on the iPhone, but nothing too major.

For me the difference between the iPhone and BB comes down to looks. And I'm not just talking about the casings here. iPhone's iOS is sleek, pretty and intuitive. The BB menu system is exceptionally ugly (as if they put special effort into making it ugly!), and the user interface takes a LOT of getting used to. Then the App store on the iPhone is easy to use, and again looks fantastic. The BB one looks like a dyslexic primary school student tried to design an app store. Shocking.

Make no mistake, the iPhone does have many shortcomings. But many of them have been addressed by regular iOS updates, and if you really want more flexibility, you can jailbreak your phone quite easily.

If there is a way to work around the 'rooted' issue with Android, I would certainly consider that as well, but the BB just doesn't do it for me. If it wasn't for the tailored Blackberry packages (included data, etc.) that are available in South Africa, I doubt that BB would've made us much market share as they have.

Welcome to the forum. My 2c:

Iphone = snobs
    BlackBerry = Messengers
    Android = Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMatix View Post
    Hi Alyce
    If there is a way to work around the 'rooted' issue with Android, I would certainly consider that as well, but the BB just doesn't do it for me. If it wasn't for the tailored Blackberry packages (included data, etc.) that are available in South Africa, I doubt that BB would've made us much market share as they have.
    This is an issue certainly. Some newer phones, for example, can't be rooted (yet) and like it or not rooting can void the warranty, although all reports suggest that in most instances it can be undone. And if it is undone and a warranty repair takes place, will the device remain rootable?

This is an issue which I think warrants some attention from the Android custodians. For me, it is like buying a Dell. So I get myself a Dell laptop and instead of 'doze (which I HATE) I choose to install Hackintosh or even Linux. It should be my choice as to which OS to install.

I have an LG X130 netbook. It is a WONDERFUL device except for 'doze 7 Starter. So I hackintoshed it. Then, the screen said howzit. I took it to LG in Gosforth Park and they fixed it up, no issues, no void warranty. Imagine if Dell or LG or whoever said the warranty was only valid if you only ran the shipped OEM operating system. Outcry and (as witnessed) anti-trust suits worldwide.

With HTC this is not the case. If you want to run your own OS (say stock Android over HTC's sense) you have to root - you do not have an option. Now, HTC wants to void your warranty? Like hell!

Now back to topic: iPhone has a similar procedure called "Jailbreak" which I also believe voids your warranty. And this is where I cry foul: this is not a hardware hack a la soldering a PS3 it is a low-level software thing which can easily be undone. So, point for BlackBerry where no reason nor means exists - to the best of my knowledge - to alter the OS or low-level software. And it is not the means but the reason that gives them the point.

Still, I have heard lots of criticism for the BB, admittedly among IT types.

Edit: What sharkbait said is worth a little more than 2c.
    ★ mAcme for Mac OS X & 3G | Antenna & Tower Help
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru
    Block WASPs on MTN. Dial *141*5# Select Content Billing.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Welcome to the forum. My 2c:

Iphone = snobs [fashion-conscious consumers]
    BlackBerry = Messengers [price-sensitive consumers]
    Android = Geeks [consumers that want heavy control and customisation]
    agreed. embellished it a bit.
    i think a lot of people who aren't tech leaders/early adopters actually just want others to think that they made the right choice.
    peer affirmation is more important than most other factors imo.
    Last edited by murraybiscuit; 03-03-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Kudos to all the comments! I agree, it is worth much more than just 2c...

So call me a snob (which you just did!), but I'll stick with the iPhone. For now.

At least I'm level-headed enough to admit that I could see myself going over to Android in the future. But BB will have to improve significantly in terms of look and feel and everything else before I could even think about beginning to maybe consider them

I'm also a user of both (iPhone 4 and BlackBerry Bold).

1) My BlackBerry works all-day every-day as my primary communications device (text and voice). In this role there is nothing better. The Operating System may not look as sleek as Apple's but it works well. For texting nothing beats the combination of a proper keyboard and BlackBerry Messenger. For data usage BIS is great (no surpises in the next bill). Apps for the BlackBerry sux however. If you want to play games on your phone the BlackBerry is not the right choice. BlackBerry is for those into social stuff: IM, e-mails, etc.

2) The iPhone has great applications, and for playing games it is by far the better option. There's hundreds of thoudands of applications available very cheaply .... BUT BUT BUT you have to go the dishonest route of registering a false iTunes account (under a false US address for example) to get access to all the good apps. If you want to stay legal with an SA iTunes account you will not be able to buy the good games and you will be stuck with the crappy stuff. You can jailbreak the phone (and someone can help you do so) but then your iPhone is outside of the iTunes domain (and there are risks to that for someone not tech savvy). I actually got bored with my iPhone because after a while you've done this that and the other and then the weaknesses of the iPhone become very prominent. It is - for me - a very frustrating device to type on when used to the great way BlackBerry handles texting. I still can't type properly and fast on the iPhone after months of trying. The soft keyboard also takes up the majority of the screen space (not cool). When you want to correct a letter you have to retype the whole word. An iPhone with a hard keyboard will be a winner. The limitations asscociated with locally available iTunes Store apps is a dealbreaker for me. I will never encourage anyone to go the illegal route but without going that route the iPhone is a dud.
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

Wow, thank you for all the advise. It is really helpful. Only one thing, please explain what this rooting and jailbreaking is. I seem to lose the plot with that.

Wow, thank you for all the advise. It is really helpful. Only one thing, please explain what this rooting and jailbreaking is. I seem to lose the plot with that.
    Start here: Wikipedia: Rooting
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

If you haven't done so already go look at the BlackBerry devices here (and see that they are not as ugly/retarded as some would want you to believe :-) ):

Bold (wait for the new Bold 9780 to be launched locally soon if you decide to go with the Bold)

Torch

what this rooting and jailbreaking.
    Stock iPhone 4 for you... period....
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

Jailbreaking is the process of making the iPhone a usable phone outside the Apple walled garden ecosystem BS & rooting is the process of making your Android phone the ultimate customization tool.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanm34 View Post
    Stock iPhone 4 for you... period....
    +1
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast