Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Non Lethal Self Defence Weapons

Default Non Lethal Self Defence Weapons

Good day

I am looking into purchasing a self defence weapon of some sort - most likely a pepper gun. Anyone have any experience with this and who can recommend a shop in Jhb or even a specific device?

A standard paintball gun with pepper bullets wont do because over time the gas will leak if I keep it in shooting condition and I don't want to risk a malfunction the day I need it. There are specific handgun type models which only pierce the cannister when fired. I'm thinking along those sort of lines.

A tazer is a possibility but I'd prefer something thats effective over a short distance and not only right next to the perp.

And no, I don't want a real gun. Your serious advice would be appreciated.

This has been discussed previously... The general consensus.. If you creeping around at night, and the other guy has an actual gun. You're coming second.. End of story.
    Crossfit is like the reverse of Fight Club - Because the first rule of Crossfit is to never STFU about Crossfit.

Tazer = ranged , stun gun = melee , god that irks me that people continuously get that wrong for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden View Post
    Good day

I am looking into purchasing a self defence weapon of some sort - most likely a pepper gun. Anyone have any experience with this and who can recommend a shop in Jhb or even a specific device?

A standard paintball gun with pepper bullets wont do because over time the gas will leak if I keep it in shooting condition and I don't want to risk a malfunction the day I need it. There are specific handgun type models which only pierce the cannister when fired. I'm thinking along those sort of lines.

A tazer is a possibility but I'd prefer something thats effective over a short distance and not only right next to the perp.

And no, I don't want a real gun. Your serious advice would be appreciated.

I have a tazer and pepper spray. From experience both in-effective when a gun is put next to your face.

If I may ask, why do you need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden View Post
    Good day

Bringing a knife to a gun fight? Rather try and get a real gun (Be prepared to wait forever to get the it). Non lethal will have you killed because real thieves will think you have the real deal and bang you down
    I now have a signature!

Quote Originally Posted by za1 View Post
    I have a tazer and pepper spray. From experience both in-effective when a gun is put next to your face.
    +1
    I now have a signature!

Well, the best weapon is distance and early warning.

A guy in the block next to ours had a guy in his yard on Saterday night, we were there within less than 2 mins after initial radio call, the perp got away unfortunately. So in his case his outside beams that activated and then his radio call helped him be well clear of the criminal. So if you're area has a neighbourhood watch get a radio for their network. Obviously additional layers are also needed, like burglar bars and secitury doors and self defence weapons.

A pepperball gun is a good idea but also have something else as backup for that, pepperspray (jet/stream version, not fogger) which can reach 2 metres (around R130).

If you find a good perrperball gun at a fair price let me know as well.
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

I have a normal paintball gun , never had issue with leaks , i have a valve to release the gas and i also leave the cannister slightly unscrewed from the actual gun so there is no chance of leaking. Cost me R1500 for the gun (a cheaper one , spyder i think its called).
    a good size cannister 20oz , std hopper 200 rounds, 10 pepper balls , 20 solid rubber balls and 1000 paint balls. but this was about 2 years ago , should be cheaper now i would think.

Check the gas on the paintball gun from time to time, or get a backup cylinder and rotate it every other week? If you already have a paintball gun the pepper balls will only set you back R100-R150.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Well, the best weapon is distance and early warning.

A guy in the block next to ours had a guy in his yard on Saterday night, we were there within less than 2 mins after initial radio call, the perp got away unfortunately. So in his case his outside beams that activated and then his radio call helped him be well clear of the criminal. So if you're area has a neighbourhood watch get a radio for their network. Obviously additional layers are also needed, like burglar bars and secitury doors and self defence weapons.

A pepperball gun is a good idea but also have something else as backup for that, pepperspray (jet/stream version, not fogger) which can reach 2 metres (around R130).

If you find a good perrperball gun at a fair price let me know as well.
    I have a SWAT pepper spray (jet), sprays between 5 to 7 meters (depending on how new it is) the fogs are useless although I think the pepper grenades would be awesome if someone comes into your house (drop it, lock yourself into another room).

I need one because the complex I live in has recently been the victim of several break ins during the night where the occupants were surprised by ppl either inside their house or they were awoken ( is that even a word?) by the sound of the perps breaking in.

I appreciate the "nothing is equal or sufficient to stop someone with a gun" sentiment and nowhere did I say I want to go toe to toe with an armed assailant carrying a pistol... But the plain fact of the matter is that most burglaries aren't carried out by armed people. Knives, screwdrivers etc yes - guns no.

When I wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of my patio door being broken open, I want to be able to do more to protect myself and family than to start crying and praying for the baby Jesus.

My brother was stabbed in his own house in broad daylight with one of his own steak knives. Anyone in this thread want to try and convince me a non lethal weapon of some sort would not have possibly aided him in that situation?

Omnia Fan I'll look into a regular pb gun as well then. (omnias are the worst cellphones ever made btw.)

I bought the Tippman TPX here

It fit your all your requirements I believe, though I've not had to use it in anger yet.
    By reading this post, you relinquish to me all rights to your immortal soul for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jab View Post
    I bought the Tippman TPX here

It fit your all your requirements I believe, though I've not had to use it in anger yet.
    I also have the TPX. The gas canister is sealed until you pull the trigger the first time which pierces the canister. So you can leave it gassed and loaded with pepperballs with no worries of leaks. It is also very accurate, for a paintball pistol.

Most paintball shops should stock the TPX for about R2000-R2500.

Edit: Here's some Joburg shops:
    http://www.paintballcity.co.za/index.html
    http://www.paintballshop.co.za
    http://www.paintballonline.co.za/pro...ty%20Launchers
    Last edited by Slingshot; 08-03-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Changed price and added links

What website can we use to buy pepper spray etc. from?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast