Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Whats the fastest synching ADSL modem out?

Default Whats the fastest synching ADSL modem out?

We were hit by lightning the other day, and my Netgear DGN2200 got hit. I'm busy using our backup Belnkin router at the moment.

Thing is, the Netgear synced at 3.5 meg and was stable, but the Belnkin only syncs at 1.1meg. It did this before the lightning hit too.

So I would like to know: What is the fastest syncing ADSL modem out?
    I-Rah los Pruzah ahrk Mul
    IMA CHEMICAL ENGINEER WEO
    Agents are people too.
    Just because I'm technically bloody and imperialist doesn't prove anything!

Whatever you get, never go for Belkin again. I got their "top of the range" and what a piece of shiiiiiiite.
    Went from Netgear and how I regret it.
    Soos 'n choppie op die vuur.

Do modems actually make a big difference in terms of stability/speed? Still using my bog standard telkom cr@p here.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

The topic title is very misleading!
    Most ADSL modems are now ADSL2+ compliant, which can go up to 24Mbps.

Full_Met4L: ADSL modems definitely make a HUGE difference at high speeds - not so much at 384kbps.

Siemens, D-Link and TP-Link ADSL modems are usually very good, as well as those ancient Telkom modems!

Netgear modems are amongst the worst ADSL modems that I've come across. The only decent one they made was the DG834GT.

At my office, we have an Cisco modem (supplied by Mweb) and it wasn't even able to sync reliably at 2Mbps, where as a Marconi & D-Link modem managed to sync at 4Mbps with very few issues.

^^ Most of what I said is from my personal experience, but like the Netgear related stuff is from what I've read on myBB, as well as a Telkom techie who told me about the stupid Netgears.
    Last edited by Pada; 16-03-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    The topic title is very misleading!
    Most ADSL modems are now ADSL2+ compliant, which can go up to 24Mbps.

Full_Met4L: ADSL modems definitely make a HUGE difference at high speeds - not so much at 384kbps.

Siemens, D-Link and TP-Link ADSL modems are usually very good, as well as those ancient Telkom modems!

Netgear modems are amongst the worst ADSL modems that I've come across. The only decent one they made was the DG834GT.

At my office, we have an Cisco modem (supplied by Mweb) and it wasn't even able to sync reliably at 2Mbps, where as a Marconi & D-Link modem managed to sync at 4Mbps with very few issues.

^^ Most of what I said is from my personal experience, but like the Netgear related stuff is from what I've read on myBB, as well as a Telkom techie who told me about the stupid Telkom techies.
    Fixed

Try to find a Netgear DGN 2000, my line stays synced for months without needing to reboot it and the stats on the line are much better than with other modems.

Oh. Awesome.. I must get a new one then. Back to OP's question then. What'll synch fastest/best??

Blog Entries

Ive found TP-Links best compared to netgears also :P

Plus it also depends on exchange some use different software which isnt compatible with some routers giving bad readings.

Billion and TP-Link use different software to connect to exchange so you would have to try them both to see which one is compatible

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    Indeed! I used to be very faithful to netgear routers - they worked best on my old line when I had 13 attennuation and synced on G.DMT with a TexasInstruments chipset at the exchange which matched the modem... but since some changes in my area my attennuation is 37-38 and my noise margins are like ~8-10db at 10mbps, and the dslam is running a broadcom-based chipset now it seems. The Dlink 2500u is the only modem which can hold a reliable 10Mbps for days for me. If my noise margins were just a tad better, my Siemens 762SX would be better because it has 1-2ms lower latency to exchange... The problem is the noise margin: after a while it stops getting 10Mbps and completely slows down to like 40K/s and lots of packet loss, needing a resync, I'm guessing the DSLAM vendor/model isn't too good... i'm sure if it had Seamless Rate Adaption I wouldnt have that problem. Besides for these two modems, I've tried a Netgear DG834, a DG834GT, and a VOX adslphone on this line, and none come anything quite as close to the Dlink and Siemens...
    For around R200-250, the Dlink 2500u is not only the best modem I've used to date, but also the cheapest

Quote Originally Posted by FuLL_MeT4L View Post
    Do modems actually make a big difference in terms of stability/speed? Still using my bog standard telkom cr@p here.
    I always tell people that all Computers or devices wait at the same speed. Most routers will do the job. If you looking for performance on any router go for the one with the highest (connections per second)

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agentrfr View Post
    We were hit by lightning the other day, and my Netgear DGN2200 got hit. I'm busy using our backup Belnkin router at the moment.

Thing is, the Netgear synced at 3.5 meg and was stable, but the Belnkin only syncs at 1.1meg. It did this before the lightning hit too.

So I would like to know: What is the fastest syncing ADSL modem out?
    You do realize that the lightning could have also damaged your line right?

I've got the Netgear DG384GT and it works perfectly. mine sync at 3.45mb on my 4meg line.

Hey fragtion
    If i understand you correctly your routers compatability with your exchanges hardware can have quite an influence on your line stats?
    Would that explain why my attenuation on my billion router reads 31 but i get 39 on my netgear DG834Gv5?

Sent from my HTC Desire using MyBroadband Android App

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajules View Post
    Hey fragtion
    If i understand you correctly your routers compatability with your exchanges hardware can have quite an influence on your line stats?
    Would that explain why my attenuation on my billion router reads 31 but i get 39 on my netgear DG834Gv5?

Sent from my HTC Desire using MyBroadband Android App
    I explained the whole thing above his post

Quote Originally Posted by fragtion View Post
    Indeed! I used to be very faithful to netgear routers - they worked best on my old line when I had 13 attennuation and synced on G.DMT with a TexasInstruments chipset at the exchange which matched the modem... but since some changes in my area my attennuation is 37-38 and my noise margins are like ~8-10db at 10mbps, and the dslam is running a broadcom-based chipset now it seems. The Dlink 2500u is the only modem which can hold a reliable 10Mbps for days for me. If my noise margins were just a tad better, my Siemens 762SX would be better because it has 1-2ms lower latency to exchange... The problem is the noise margin: after a while it stops getting 10Mbps and completely slows down to like 40K/s and lots of packet loss, needing a resync, I'm guessing the DSLAM vendor/model isn't too good... i'm sure if it had Seamless Rate Adaption I wouldnt have that problem. Besides for these two modems, I've tried a Netgear DG834, a DG834GT, and a VOX adslphone on this line, and none come anything quite as close to the Dlink and Siemens...
    For around R200-250, the Dlink 2500u is not only the best modem I've used to date, but also the cheapest
    Thanks. I've ordered a D-Link 2500u from Take2 for R186... (http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-d...r-9385064.html) At that price it is worth a shot

You do realize that the lightning could have also damaged your line right?
    I don't think so. As I said, this router only synced at 1meg before the lightning anyway.
    I-Rah los Pruzah ahrk Mul
    IMA CHEMICAL ENGINEER WEO
    Agents are people too.
    Just because I'm technically bloody and imperialist doesn't prove anything!

Blog Entries

btw did you only use one lan port or 2 - 4?

if more than 1 you need a switch if the router works

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast