Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can sombody explain to me the diff between i3 and i5

Red face can sombody explain to me the diff between i3 and i5

Hello everyone, I would like to know what is the differences between a laptop running on a i3 and one running on a i5?

Thank you

Thumbs down

/facepalm

Edit:

To point you in the right direction:

http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en...ore+i5&spell=1
    Last edited by 3p1c; 21-03-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Blog Entries

the i3 has the numeral 3 after the i and the i5 has the numeral 5 after the i.
    There may also be a price difference, but not necessarily.
    Probably only on Thursdays.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Ignore the rude one...

Here...
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/h...les/61150.aspx

Some info.

Haha I love the jackasses on this forum :P... haha always entertaining! Thanks kilobitsperyear

Was hoping somebody could give me a quick breakdown of the two though... but thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Charlkie View Post
    Haha I love the jackasses on this forum :P...
    Kinda lame given that it was a legit question.

Copy paste from kilo's article:
    The new Core i3 processors are dual-core only, while the new Core i5 processors are quad-core only. Another major different is Turbo Boost, which is disabled on Core i3 processors but enabled on Core i5 processors. However, Intel Core i3 processors have hyper-threading support but Core i5 processors don't offer this feature.

Besides these points, there are two minor differences. Core i3 processors don't support Intel's vPro virtualization technology and don't support Intel's AES encryption acceleration technology. Intel Core i5 processors support both.
    A trial by combat would resolve this dispute efficiently

i3 = small hamsters
    i5 = bigger hamster thus the wheel turns faster
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

At the centre of my bubble of perception.

For most games the i5 is bettah.

For office applications the i3 may be alright depending on the memory and secondly the amount of spyware and virusses you have. Actually you computer may tolerate virusses to a certain extent if you have enough memory.
    Last edited by Picard; 21-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.

At the centre of my bubble of perception.

Frankly I don't know why there are 3 teirs of Intel Processors. Businesses have either lots of moeny or no money. Very seldom does it have something in between. If it has no money it will buy the i3. If it has lots of moeny it will buy the i7.

Why it still has the "budget chip" of the i5 is just to **** with the mind of the consumers that still think about the AMD chip.
    Last edited by Picard; 21-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.

And the i7?
    domaincheap.co.za
    Only one of these adds to your value as a human being: Consuming things other people have made or making your own.
    link

easiest way to understand is

i3: dual core

i5: dual core with HYPER-THREADING, it means that your pc think
    it has 4 processors, which means fake quad core.

i7: quad core with HYPER-THREADING, it means that your pc think
    it has 8 processors, which means fake 8 core.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

To quote then...

Core i3

We’ll start at the bottom and work our way up. Core i3 is Intel’s latest budget processor. Even though the Core i3 is the lowest of the bunch, it’s still a very good processor that has received good to outstanding reviews by the majority of experts and customers alike.

The technology behind Core i3 processors includes dual core base, hyper threading support, and virtualization. Core i3 processors do support 64-bit versions of Windows. By taking advantage of Intel’s new chipset and 32nm technology, Core i3’s have even been known to perform closely to lower end Core 2 Quad processors.

Should you buy a computer with a Core i3 processor? It depends. If you use your computer for basic tasks such as word processing, email, surfing the web, etc., a Core i3 processor is more than enough to handle all of that with ease. A core i3 processor is a solid, affordable choice for the heavy majority of people.

Core i5

Core i5 is the latest “mid-range” processor by Intel. A step up from the Core i3, i5 processors will give you a noticeable difference in speed, depending on what type of applications that you run. If you are playing solitaire, you aren’t going to be able to tell a difference between Core i3 and Core i5 processors. If you are editing multiple files in Adobe Flash, with virtualization software, you may notice the Core i5 to be snappier.

Technically, Core i5 processors are marketed a bit differently. There are two main types of Core i5 Processors, dual core, and quad core. Dual core i5 processors have 32nm technology, hyper threading support, virtualization support, and Turbo Boost technology. Quad core i5 processors have 45nm technology, virtualization support and Turbo Boost technology, but do not have hyper threading support.

Do the two types of Core i5 processors offer similar performance? Yes, in most situations. However, one may be better than another when running multi threaded applications. Be sure to take note of which specific Core i5’s are dual core vs. Core i5’s that are quad core, if you are looking to buy a specific processor.

Should you buy a computer with a Core i5 processor? In most situations, a Core i5 is a safe bet. Core i5’s offer enough performance to do stuff like video editing and gaming, and more than enough performance to do basic stuff like word processing, internet surfing, and email. A Core i5 processor is a great, mid-range priced processor for people who use their computers frequently and often multi task.

Core i7

Last, but not least, we have the Intel Core i7 processor lineup. Core i7’s are the current top of the line, out of all the Core series processors. They are also the most expensive. Technically, Core i7’s also come in two different varieties. The notable difference between the two? Chipset.

Core i7 processors are available in either a LGA1156 chipset or a LGA1366 chipset. Both chipsets offer quad core performance, virtualization support, hyper threading, and Turbo Boost Technology. However, the i7 9xx series processors, which utilize the 1366 chipset, are considered to be slightly faster, and the “best of the best” out of all processors, even AMD.

Both variations of the Core i7 CPU will offer similar performance in most cases, and that performance is screaming fast. The i7 9xx may perform slightly better in heavy gaming.

Should you buy a computer with an i7 processor? That would be up to you. For most computer users, an i7 processor is far from necessary. But if you want the latest and fastest, that’s what the i7 is all about.

Even if you are doing some above average video rendering, Intel’s cheaper Core i5 should be able to handle that. If you know what the term “overclocking” means, the Core i7 may be just what you were looking for. If you have the cash to dish out, you could even consider going the Core i7 Extreme route, which will put you at light speed… Not light speed, but pretty darn fast.

+ + + + + +

I like the "little money = i3, enough money =i5 and lotsa money=i7" summary! :}

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    And the i7?
    i7 = Hamster on steriods that lives in nuclear reactor.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    easiest way to understand is

i3: dual core

i5: dual core with HYPER-THREADING, it means that your pc think
    it has 4 processors, which means fake quad core.

i7: quad core with HYPER-THREADING, it means that your pc think
    it has 8 processors, which means fake 8 core.
    Um, I'm pretty sure the i5's don't have hyper-threading... Maybe the older ones, the Sandy Bridges definitely don't.
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

The only i5 Sandy Bridge with Hyper-Threading thus far is the Core i5-2390T Processor... Cores 2 / 4 threads.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
    Um, I'm pretty sure the i5's don't have hyper-threading... Maybe the older ones, the Sandy Bridges definitely don't.
    i3 = RANDS
    i5 = Credit Cards
    i7 = Mortgages
    Last edited by kilobits; 21-03-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast