Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Amazon launches an Android App Store

Default Amazon launches an Android App Store

Amazon launches an Android App Store

Online giant Amazon has launched its Android App Store. We look at the pros and cons

Pointless for us in 3rd world countries really.

Totally irrelevant for us in SA as we can't buy paid apps from the android market or download anything from the amazon appstore. Perhaps we should look to the Opera app store that launched with much less fanfare.

I read about it two days ago and instantly installed it onto my HTC Desire then took the time to register a account and add my payment options (MY Credit Card) only to find it its not availible in South Africa , even sent them a email to find out if it would come here, and only got a generic responce that they are "Unable to process credit cards from other countries other than the US" wich is rubbish becouse I can purchase goods from amazon with the same card, only real reason why we wont get it, is the Films and Publication Board,its the same problem google has with there market place,if there was any other legal alternative to the crippled Android Market I would jump on it like a fly on a turd.

PS I read the whole article and it only has a single small sentance that states its not availible here, and is written as if its allready availible in south africa so to stop confusion:

AMAZON MARKET PLACE IS NOT AVAILIBLE IN SOUTH AFRICA!!

There are ways around the Amazon restrictions

According to there email you need a US address and US credit card, so any suggestions?

Edit: here is there email responce:

Hello XXXXX,

At this time, we are unable to offer the Amazon Appstore for Android and associated apps to our international customers.

To successfully purchase digital content from Amazon Appstore for Android, the 1-Click payment method listed on Your Account (www.amazon.com/your-account) must be a credit or debit card issued by a U.S. Bank with a U.S. billing address. At this time, we are unable to support the use of international credit cards.

We value our international customers and hope to make the Amazon Appstore for Android available internationally in the future.

I hope this helps! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=xxxxxxxxxxD&k=hy

If no, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...xxxxxxxxxxk=hn

Best regards,

Brian
    Amazon.com
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
    http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

Ive just spent a hour and a half fully setting up Amazon app store only to find out that its not availible in South africa, will it ever come here?

And why could your store not tell me this before spending this long setting up your application, maybe while installing the app

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
    Last edited by FaSMaN; 25-03-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Grandmaster

i thought competition is a good thing to keep the prices down? Now it's called fragmentation? lol

This, posted 23 March already...

Quote Originally Posted by drukkie View Post
    i thought competition is a good thing to keep the prices down? Now it's called fragmentation? lol
    Ja, AFAIK fragmentation has to do with different versions of android and versions created by manufacturers for certain devices that aren't getting updated. Really don't see why it's even mentioned in this article. Guess it's popular to mention fragmentation whenever mentioning Android.

make Android confusing for less savvy users...
    Firstly... people do have more than 2 neurons... and secondly,... fragmentation refers to hardware<->software/API incompatibilities as you try run the same software on different hardware. The word fragmentation is being bandied around like everyones an expert. There IS NO FRAGMENTATION concerning the app stores since an app in one can also be in the other and ANY android phone can run apps from both.

Grandmaster

I signed up when it was released, put all my details in just to find out that I can't get the new Angry Birds because I am outside of the US.

Fail! I'll stick with the Android Market and hope that they bring us paid apps soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mcryan View Post
    I signed up when it was released, put all my details in just to find out that I can't get the new Angry Birds because I am outside of the US.

Fail! I'll stick with the Android Market and hope that they bring us paid apps soon.
    Did the same, sucks hey...

Swyped from my HTC Legend

Seriously! Why even get us excited for this