Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Piracy in South Africa: no more laws, please!

Default Piracy in South Africa: no more laws, please!

Piracy and copyright in South Africa: no more laws, please

The executive director of the Free Market Foundation has said that government's tendency to write new laws in response to problems just makes things worse

Instead of new laws, government and industry should focus on getting the enforcement of existing legislation improved, Louw said.

Fantastic. Great to hear someone speak on the subject that actually knows what they're talking about.
    Think for yourself, Question authority, Know what's going on

the whole problem is caused by middle-men trying to making money on something that should be C2C.

Blog Entries

Odd for the BSA to push for such a change because I can see it going against them as well:
    a. If they criminalize piracy, it could actually force companies to start looking at other avenues like say open source.
    b. They could place owners in jail for pirating say only M$ Office in his company, closing companies and causing unemployment and loss of sale on other/future products.
    Personally I would love for a to happen instead of piracy.

And I don't think increasing fines would solve the problem either. In the face of the other crimes in South Africa like say rape, murder and hijacking... to use some copied version of Office seems minor even if you make the fines 20 times what they are today.

If they really wanted to find a solution they could
    a. Change the laws that prevent South Africans from getting music/movies/games legally in this country.
    b. Maybe form a group that can work with the BSA, when a company is found to pirating something and they can prove they can not afford the software to assist/educate them in finding alternatives be it cheaper software that does the same thing to Open Source.

Yes I know something Libreoffice or Openoffice is not the same as Microsoft Office but at least its a way a company can legally do there work.
    Last edited by Elimentals; 07-04-2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Possible selutions added

The downward spiral of copyright laws is that it only protects companies, with all the DRM, copy protection, CD-checks and such, combined with high prices.. what about the laws that should protect Joe Average who actually bought his software?

If I buy software, shouldn't I have the right to:

Install it on a second machine?
    Have the right to a hassle free installation?
    Be without DRM that slows down/messes around with my PC?
    Not require having to leave the disk in my drive?
    The ability to legally make backup copies of my disks?
    The ability to easily sell the software to another person should I no longer wish to use it?
    If it is media, the ability to transcode, or obtain the media in another format?
    The ability to RETURN the software for a FULL REFUND if the software does not do as advertised / doesn't run correctly on my PC.
    Reduced & fair pricing especially if it's something I want to share with my wife? Why should we have to pay for 2x copies of a game we want to co-op on occasion?

I could go on and on...

Now I know services like Steam, and other online activation systems have made things a lot easier, but there are still horrible forms of DRM and control placed on legitimate consumers.

When companies and law start putting nearly as much fuss into protecting and caring about consumers, I'll start caring more about them.

Fighting piracy is the same as fighting illegal drugs. The only effective way is to punish the 'user'. And other than making examples of a few this is not really viable as you would have to lock up about half the country. Why should we give a crap about the rights of music holders and video when they are actively preventing the legal channels of distribution? There is no damages against them as there is no legal methods in which to obtain a large amount of the media, so they cant sue you for anything anyway. Maybe one they the content holders will actually realize the people are customers and should be serviced as such.

If SA's piracy rate were to be reduced from 35% to 25%, the BSA believes South Africa would see a substantial boost to its economy by way of 1650 technology industry jobs and around R9 billion in new economic activity.
    I think the BSA is spouting the same stuff the escapes from the backside of a bull, just below it's tail.
    The bulk of software is downloaded from the internet, legal or otherwise. Please ask the BSA to explain what those 1650 people will be doing all day long.
    The BSA spouts as much BS as another organisation in this country with 3 letters in its acronym,hence they should be renamed the Bull S*!t Association.
    I WHOOOSH!

people who pirate are just taking after their governments morals, who steal, bribe and embezzle

Grandmaster

Imo the main problem is the overprice software. Myself and many other people are not prepare to pay 4k plus for a ms office suite. If they reduce the price to 500 bucks everybody will buy and own a legal copy and ms will increase their turnover and profit. My 2c

If SA's piracy rate were to be reduced from 35% to 25%, the BSA believes South Africa would see a substantial boost to its economy by way of 1650 technology industry jobs and around R9 billion in new economic activity.
    At only R545454 per job.

reduce the price like to in the us for all cw material and people will buy it and bring it out at the same time

Wow, you always learn something new on MyBB.

Yesterday there was an article about ICASA being useless about some consumer regulations, and today we find out that the Bull **** Alliance is full of, well, bull****, and that more laws=more problems.

Will wonders never cease?
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

Grandmaster

They quote their own statistics which has shown time and time again to be utter hogwash. Honestly I think mweb's uncapped bandwidth dsl deal has done more for this country than any new ip law could ever hope to achieve in economic activity.

Also the moment that civil penalties go up you get the sharks homing in on the population. In america and the uk it's bee common practice for lawyers to send out mass infringement notices with a "settlement letter" which just happens to be a bit lower than the cost of defending yourself in court. You can either settle or they sue you... Sounds pretty much like extortion. I think in the US it's about $150,000 per infringement that a rights holder can claim per incident... and they want that here? We'll see how far they get with that...

Let me use iTunes without restriction. I will happily pay for the privilege. But I won't pay the ridiculous prices being asked for CD's and DVD's at media outlets.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast