Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Importing goods into South Africa

Default Importing goods into South Africa

Hi I'm gonna keep it simple and get straight to the point.

I've bought lots of stuff online overseas and got it sent to my address or P.O B.ox address, but there are few issues: 1. Takes very long 2.Often get taxed and when I do,customs really take there time and it takes even longer to get the product. 3. Sometimes get stolen between the seller and South africa.

Most of the products that I import are electronics. The best experience I've had so far was with Texas Instruments...I bought something from them and within a week Fedex was at my door with the package and I hardly payed much for the shipping.

Any ideas of how I can buy stuff from china...(electronics) and ship it into South Africa as fast and secure as possible. When I used texas instruments to buy products, they handled the import taxes and everything and made it really easy for me.

I'm looking to import orders of R3000 and up at a time. I do small and specific orders for clients so the size of the orders vary.

Please help me out. Thanks.
    PS: I think I should get a job at customs, lots of green lasers would go missing then.

TI+Fedex = cool, a couple of times it was delayed at Supaswift (local Fedex agents) until I gave my importers code and they cleared it up. Other experiences with TI+Fedex and free samples went well.

TI+DHL did not go too well, DHL local could not clear as they did not have an account with DHL global fowarding ( i.e. they wanted to stiff me with import processing fees of +$70). I asked them dump the item instead and let me incur the loss rather than incur their fees.

Do you import at component level? I am looking for NXP mcu's from mouser / digikey - but all shipping options have horrendous costs for a modest order.

As far as i know for orders above $200 digikey has free shipping to South Africa via UPS or FedEX! and the stuff takes much longer to get cleared in SA than within the US.

Also you need to register as an importer with SARS, its free. Else you need to use clearing agents if SARS blocks your parcels. Just remember that once you have imported more than 3 times a year (think the amount is R500 per parcel), then SARS flags you as an importer.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by timog View Post
    ....2.Often get taxed and when I do,customs really take there time and it takes even longer to get the product. ....
    You should always be paying customs, its the law. If you don't like it, then move to the few countries in the world that don't have customs, I think Antarctica is one.

If you have a delay at customs, then phone them with your tracking number. Also don't request dodgy invoices from your suppliers, this is what causes most of the delays at customs.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunsdonza View Post
    Also you need to register as an importer with SARS, its free. Else you need to use clearing agents if SARS blocks your parcels. Just remember that once you have imported more than 3 times a year (think the amount is R500 per parcel), then SARS flags you as an importer.
    How do you register?
    I've imported alot more than 3 times a year and never had a problem, but i'll register just in case considering its free, but cant find anything on their website?
    dear julius malema, desmond tutu, joey barton, barcelona, uefa, na$ri: ..|..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MCU-BOARD-ARM7...-/270606051504

That is the best I can do...I have no idea what that even is though..don't have the time to read up but if i'm correct this is similiar to the arduino? Why don't you just get an arduino?

Another option is to buy through the official distributors for Texas, like Arrow Altech, or whoever. Refer to the EBG.

Best is to get an importers number from SARS, you are always going to need that, the banks need it for payment too, and you will always have to pay the applicable duties and VAT on the imported goods.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunsdonza View Post
    It's much more than R500.

Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    It's much more than R500.
    Sorry, I was thinking about the R400 limit on gifts. Your allowed two gifts a year under R400 in terms of Rebate Item 412.10.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek View Post
    How do you register?
    I've imported alot more than 3 times a year and never had a problem, but i'll register just in case considering its free, but cant find anything on their website?
    http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=5221

DA185 - Application form: Registration/Licensing of Customs and Excise Clients http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=...cise%20Clients

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by nivek View Post
    How do you register?
    It's really only applicable if you're importing large quantities for commercial purposes. SARS don't really require it for personal importing.

It's three shipments of R20 000 (or less). So they may give you trouble if its R10, R10, and R20 001 !

But you can usually get away with more than three shipments, still better to get an importer code, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by flarkit View Post
    It's as if SANRAL is the little handle being used to start flushing SA's economy straight down the sewerage pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    It's three shipments of R20 000 (or less). So they may give you trouble if its R10, R10, and R20 001 !

But you can usually get away with more than three shipments, still better to get an importer code, though.
    Yeah, on another cycling forum we do group orders from an online store and at times our parcels are known to get held up till a clearance agent is slipped R300 to have it cleared. I understand that with an importers number one can do the clearance oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    It's really only applicable if you're importing large quantities for commercial purposes. SARS don't really require it for personal importing.
    That is what the Act says, but SARS have their own rules (which don't comply with the law, but you can't argue with them).
    Quote Originally Posted by flarkit View Post
    It's as if SANRAL is the little handle being used to start flushing SA's economy straight down the sewerage pipes.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast