Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

View Poll Results: Do you want/need an APN that allows connections initiated from outside the APN?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • No thanks, no idea what this means - don't think it applies to me

15 8.67%
  • No thanks, I know what it means and I will never need it

12 6.94%
  • Yes please, for [desktop or other] remote support

101 58.38%
  • Yes please, for hosting

52 30.06%
  • Yes please, for some other reason explained in my post in the thread

21 12.14%
  • I clicked a 'Yes' option above, and am prepared to accept the risk of being hacked

81 46.82%
  • I clicked a 'Yes' option above, and am NOT prepared to accept the risk of being hacked

6 3.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313738394041 42 LastLast

Thread: Unrestricted APN

Master

For all those trying to get onto the Vodacom unrestricted APN

E-Mail 155datasupport@vodacom.co.za and inform them you would like your number to be allowed access to the unrestricted APN.

Enjoy!

- Reelix

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garp View Post
    Aren't you lucky. Been trying continuously for a day to get a couple of sims enabled for the unrestricted APN - endless circles on 155 - repeatedly (5 times now) told it's been done but it hasn't. The devices need to get to the airport tomorrow morning and we're still f'ing around with Vodacom!!!
    Mine was also very quick. Filled in the form, scanned it in, emailed it off at about 9pm, got a call at about 10am the next morning to tell me everything was up and running.
    Praise Zeus!

Hi vodacom3g

We find ourselves really needing this Unrestricted APN.

Our implementation of it will be completely secure since the connection is made by a Mikrotik Router fully firewalled and attack-safe.
    Without this Unrestricted APN we cannot provide remote support to our clients.

The problem is, when requesting the APN from Vodacom, they totally ignore us.
    I found the application form online and faxed it to the said number, no reply whatsoever.

When calling Vodacom you get shuffled and forwarded to departments like a pinball.

What is the status of this Unrestricted APN at Vodacom today? Are they even aware of it's existence? Does it even exist?

I hope that this post can be answered despite it's age.

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthysdt View Post
    What is the status of this Unrestricted APN at Vodacom today? Are they even aware of it's existence? Does it even exist?
    I have it on one of my SIM cards and made use of inbound connections last night, so it still exists.

I did a search on www.vodacom.co.za but:
    Your search - unrestricted apn - did not match any documents.
    No pages were found containing "unrestricted apn".
    Try send a PM to VodacomData he might be able to tell you where to download the application forms since the website was updated.

Default External I.P. Ping timeout

Hi everybody.

Is there anybody using vodacom 3g who is able to ping their external IP from another location. With my experiments I was able to ping my external IP from my internal network, but as soon as I try to ping the IP in question from an external internet connection it returns with a time out. I have disabled all my local firewall, so now I am wondering if vodacom has some firewall on their side that restricts me to access my network externally.

Regards,
    Johan van Vuren

Vodacom block this by default as when other users port scan your IP, it costs you data or money. You need to ask Vodacom to put you in a different pool. You may have to sign something as well that allows external access to your 3g IP.

Think we should enable a bot to reply with Unrestricted APN as the default answer to queries in this section
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

Get hold of customer care and ask them to activate the 'unrestricted' APN on your SIM. They'll ask you a few questions and make you sign a form confirming that you understand the risks.

I need help please. I used to have a 3G usb modem with which I could connect to my company's networks from home via VPN. I recently replaced this modem with a Vodafone R201 wireles router. Now the VPN connection does not work. I contacted Vodacom data support and explained the problem. They said that I needed unrestricted APN. So I submitted all the necessary paperwork and had the unrestricted APN activated. However, the VPN connection still does not work. So I contacted Vodacom data support again and I then was told that the router does not support VPN. What am I to do? Could it seriously be the router???

Quote Originally Posted by mientjief View Post
    I need help please. I used to have a 3G usb modem with which I could connect to my company's networks from home via VPN. I recently replaced this modem with a Vodafone R201 wireles router. Now the VPN connection does not work. I contacted Vodacom data support and explained the problem. They said that I needed unrestricted APN. So I submitted all the necessary paperwork and had the unrestricted APN activated. However, the VPN connection still does not work. So I contacted Vodacom data support again and I then was told that the router does not support VPN. What am I to do? Could it seriously be the router???
    First check:
    Simple thought - Put the sim back into usb modem that worked. if you are able to connect to the VPN then you know it is the router

Next steps: Since you are connecting from home to your company VPN, the unrestricted APN will not really make a difference. The connection is initiated from your home -> to the company VPN and there is no incoming data in that transaction to your network - you should be able to connect using the standard internet APN anyway.

If the first suggestion checks out fine and you can connect, have a look at the wireless router firewall configuration - seems something could be missing there
    If all else fails - GOOGLE it!

Quote Originally Posted by ambo View Post
    Get hold of customer care and ask them to activate the 'unrestricted' APN on your SIM. They'll ask you a few questions and make you sign a form confirming that you understand the risks.
    Does anyone know whether this procedure has changed in any way ?

Are there specific numbers / e-mail adresses to contact ?

I want to use one of my data sims for incoming requests for an IPCam (via DDNS).

Any other way of doing this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by flarkit View Post
    It's as if SANRAL is the little handle being used to start flushing SA's economy straight down the sewerage pipes.

A slice of heavan thats been forgotin and thats why theres nothing here somerset west

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    Does anyone know whether this procedure has changed in any way ?

Are there specific numbers / e-mail adresses to contact ?

I want to use one of my data sims for incoming requests for an IPCam (via DDNS).

Any other way of doing this ?
    I had to do this about 8 months ago last for a job in JHB. I think you still have to do it. All you have to do call 111 tell them you need the paper work for unrestricted APN and then fax back to them. Took me 2 days to get it done.

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you use the right apn settings. Insted of "internet" i think its "unrestrictedapn" 111 will help you aswell.
    Sacrifices are made not knowing that you will get something back, but hoping something good will come of it.

Hi VodacomData,

I have sent you a pm.

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313738394041 42 LastLast