Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Cell tower location

Default Cell tower location

Last week I had to set up a 3G router. As the signal was not so great I had to put up a aerial. Problem is, where do I point it to?

Is there a Google Earth KML or similar available with all the tower locations, and maybe also their capabilities (GPRS/EDGE/3G)?

Same problem applies to Vodacom/MTN/Cell C and also iBurst.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Last week I had to set up a 3G router. As the signal was not so great I had to put up a aerial. Problem is, where do I point it to?

Is there a Google Earth KML or similar available with all the tower locations, and maybe also their capabilities (GPRS/EDGE/3G)?

The wireless providers in South Africa are very cagey about the locations of their towers.
    We need to lobby our local government representatives to make this law.

In the meantime, I hear if you ask VD nicely he may be able to help you.

Grandmaster

Step 1: Point the antenna is a direction and check signal strength.
    Step 2: If not satisfied, adjust the antenna by 1 degree and check signal strength.
    Step 3: Repeat step 2, 358 times

Good luck

Edit: It's actually not too hard to find the best tower by trail and error. I found the best tower in my area rather quickly.
    Last edited by Viva; 19-04-2011 at 10:35 PM.

what are your co-ordinates , i will then check which towers are close to you

Hi T-Man

I replied to your pm

I am also hoping for a Google Earth answer to this problem. Have to do this frequently

You can find a tower location by using an app like OpenSignalMaps

you can also try http://openbmap.org
    Please help me get some bit coin by going http://www.bitcoinplus.com/generate?for=9877330 thanks

Hi there i'm making list of towers.Send me ur street name and suburb to info@iceads.co.za