Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: MTN sharing of bolt on data bundle (Dual SIM / Data SIM)

whoops, sorry

So, i should request the dual sim service? Not dual call?

If the bundle runs out, will i be charged at normal data rates on both devices or does it only split data bundles?

Default MTN does not CLONE SimCards for customers with data contract but Vodacom is doing it

When I got my IPad.....I went to MTN an got myself a MicroSim...Thanks to MTN for bringing down the Price from R100+ down to R1.....I did not want to use the sim as prepaid....I wanted to use data from my existing Data Contract with MTN...I asked the Sales Consultant to Clone the Sim....told me sorry it is not Possible on a Data contract.....I said really!....How Come the Red Company (Vodacom) can do it....Not knowing that I was going to have problems loading data on it.....While I was trying to sort out the issue of the active/inactive SimCard...I asked a Consultant responsible for data...and I was told MTN does not have the technology to clone SimCards. Again really but u do have the technology to add data to an existing voice contract....Even today am still asking myself why am I been Loyal to the Yellow Company when the Red Company is flexible...I won't call it innovative...

It does not make sense for me to buy prepaid data when I have a contract data with MTN.....Currently am relying on the WIFI connection I Created on my laptop using the 3G Modem. I want to share the date amongst the devices....IPad using the MicroSim.....Laptop still using the 3G Modem.

Can someone from MTN help.....

I don't know about data sims but I don't see why it should make a difference. MTN have a service called dual call 2. Note the 2. This effectively allows a second independant sim but billable to the same contract minutes/data etc. You could use that if they don't have a clone type sim but I'm sure they do have the means.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

Vodacom calls it Dual Sim..... Only costs R9.50 / month. 2 sim cards linked to 1 account.

You are the product of 4 billion years of evolution. Start acting like it.

lol speaking about clones

I suspect that the confusion comes from asking for a clone. You cannot have two sim cards with the same number. Dual call is probably what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    lol speaking about clones
    Chief...you are able to read but failing to answer my question. I already know Vodacom offer such SimCard.....My question is does MTN offer such Simcard?

I bought my MicroSim at MTN in Canal Walk and I was told is not possible to share data on my existing data contract with my MicroSim.

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro! View Post
    Chief...you are able to read but failing to answer my question. I already know Vodacom offer such SimCard.....My question is does MTN offer such Simcard?

I bought my MicroSim at MTN in Canal Walk and I was told is not possible to share data on my existing data contract with my MicroSim.
    chief you need to google

http://www.mtn.co.za/MTNSERVICES/CAL.../DualCall.aspx
    http://www.mtn.co.za/AboutMTN/Press%...Msolution.aspx

Thanks...Google helps....So MTN does offer it, but the MTN Consultant at Canal Walk(Upper level) and Some of their Call Center Agents are not aware of it .....

Since am in Pretoria I will go MTN this time around am going to demand it...I don't want hear stories that I must have a voice contract first....etc.

guys can someone help
    my brother has a data contract with mtn with a modem
    he upgraded his contract and got a dual sim for that data contract ( so he can put one sim in his ipad)
    now the new sim wont work.it gets signal, but cant connect?
    took it back to mtn shop.everything is activated and it shud work.they gave him a sim swop on the new sim.but still its not working?

Quote Originally Posted by mayurh View Post
    guys can someone help
    my brother has a data contract with mtn with a modem
    he upgraded his contract and got a dual sim for that data contract ( so he can put one sim in his ipad)
    now the new sim wont work.it gets signal, but cant connect?
    took it back to mtn shop.everything is activated and it shud work.they gave him a sim swop on the new sim.but still its not working?
    I had the same issue. I had to go into the MTN shop with the sim in a phone, and attempted to browse the web and then show the agent behind the counter the error. Until I showed them the error message, they did nothing. After re-activating the sim on their system everything worked.

I live 180km from the MTN shop in Pietermaritzburg, so was not impressed that I had to travel there to do it.
    Oliviershoek Consulting
    Safely Navigating your IT Storms

Quote Originally Posted by murray654 View Post
    I had the same issue. I had to go into the MTN shop with the sim in a phone, and attempted to browse the web and then show the agent behind the counter the error. Until I showed them the error message, they did nothing. After re-activating the sim on their system everything worked.

I live 180km from the MTN shop in Pietermaritzburg, so was not impressed that I had to travel there to do it.
    thanks i'll let my brother try that

Will this work on the Uncapped Lite contract?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonG View Post
    Will this work on the Uncapped Lite contract?
    Haha! Also trolling the net myself looking for this answer. I doubt they will do it...

I went to the MTN shop at Southdowns today and asked them about getting a second sim linked to my first contract sim. They said they can give me one but you can't use both at the same time. I would have to switch off one phone before I could use the other. I then asked them about a data sim but they said that I could either take out a separate contract for the sim or buy a pay as you go sim.

I'm going to have to pay them another visit tomorrow and show them this thread...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast