Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Convert Vodafone K3765 to E1762

Default Convert Vodafone K3765 to E1762

First of all: If you carry out this procedure you invalidate your warranty completely!

This applies to K3765 Huawei build ONLY and NOT K3765-Z as the latter is a ZTE device.

OK the K3765 isn't a bad device but if like me you hate Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) and would rather have Huawei Mobile Partner actually installed on the device, here is the procedure. Oddly, the K3765 will not work correctly with a PC installed copy of Mobile Partner in its native K3765 state!

On no account should you just install a Mobile Partner update to the device at this point! It seems that Vodafone have "customised firmware" that can basically "brick" the device if you go this route - be warned!! I have had various feedback on this but I don't want to sacrifice a modem just to test that the warning is correct - It came from several reliable sources!!!

First we need to upgrade the firmware to V11.126.13.00.00.B418 but this is for the Huawei E1762 unbranded version of this K3765. This takes about three minutes and unless you are outside of South Africa you will not require a Flash Code - If you do please feel free to PM the IMEI of your K3765.

E1762 Firmware is here: http://www.dc-files.com/files/huawei/modems/K3765/ download ONLY the Firmware Update to E1762 from this section!

To update the firmware you will need to ensure that VMC is closed completely - No red icon should be showing in the tray. If you have access to a laptop with a good battery, I would suggest using this for the upgrade unless you have a UPS attached to your PC.

Once done you can check that all is well by using the modem before you proceed to the next step. VMC will now report the device as a E1762.

Now we update the dashboard: http://www.dc-files.com/files/huawei/modems/E1762/ choose Dashboard Update.

Once the dashboard update is done, it will try to install Mobile Partner... I suggest (from experience) that you cancel this operation, un-install VMC via Control Panel and reboot the PC. Now let the modem install Mobile Partner and afterwards I suggest that you reboot - I know you probably don't need to do this but I never get grief with drivers not loading doing things this way!

Sadly the Mobile Partner version on the device is 11.302.09.00.03 which doesn't have USSD facilities. You can now install a later PC installed version of Mobile Partner 16.001.06.01.500 for example. However, this gives the annoying problem of the modem trying to re-install from the device but there is a simple fix:

In your Mobile Partner folder locate the file SysConfig.dat file. Change the file attributes away from Read Only so you can edit it. Notepad will do the job nicely!

Look for the following section in the file:

[EHIDS_PRODUCT_VERSION]
    COMMENT=
    RUN_INSTALL_APP=YES
    RUN_CLIENT_APP=YES
    L_REG_PATH=SOFTWARE\Huawei technologies\Mobile Partner
    APP_FILE_NAME=Mobile Partner.exe
    APP_INSTALL_PATH=Mobile Partner
    VALUE=11.302.09.00.03

Edit the last line in this section so that it matches the above and save. When the modem is not plugged in or reset, your system now reports that the correct version is installed even though you really have say 16.001.06.01.500 installed.

Again you will void the warranty on your device if you carry out this procedure. I have tested this on a few K3765 including the one that I'm using now!

If you find this procedure complex or confusing then leave things as is or ask a knowledgeable friend to undertake the task for you!!
    I spent most of my money on fast cars, fast women and booze. The rest I just squandered...

The Wireless Terminal inserted is not an E1762

When do you get this message?

Have you got a K3765 and not the identical K3765-Z ??
    I spent most of my money on fast cars, fast women and booze. The rest I just squandered...

I click the update, it goes through the motions, then ding, the message

Model: K3565 - Rev 2
    HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD

ICASA TA-2008/1194

Ahh, I see my ittue, its 3565, damn number .. owell, tnks !!!

Somehow, Vodafone have chosen the least rememberable numbers for their devices!

If you are looking just replace the dashboard to Mobile Partner you can find that here: http://www.dc-files.com/files/huawei/modems/K3565/

Thumbs up Mobile Partner 16.001.06.01.500

Quote Originally Posted by JimM View Post

First of all: If you carry out this procedure you invalidate your warranty completely!

This applies to K3765 Huawei build ONLY and NOT K3765-Z as the latter is a ZTE device.

OK the K3765 isn't a bad device but if like me you hate Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) and would rather have Huawei Mobile Partner actually installed on the device, here is the procedure. Oddly, the K3765 will not work correctly with a PC installed copy of Mobile Partner in its native K3765 state!

On no account should you just install a Mobile Partner update to the device at this point! It seems that Vodafone have "customised firmware" that can basically "brick" the device if you go this route - be warned!! I have had various feedback on this but I don't want to sacrifice a modem just to test that the warning is correct - It came from several reliable sources!!!

First we need to upgrade the firmware to V11.126.13.00.00.B418 but this is for the Huawei E1762 unbranded version of this K3765. This takes about three minutes and unless you are outside of South Africa you will not require a Flash Code - If you do please feel free to PM the IMEI of your K3765.

E1762 Firmware is here: http://www.dc-files.com/files/huawei/modems/K3765/ download ONLY the Firmware Update to E1762 from this section!

To update the firmware you will need to ensure that VMC is closed completely - No red icon should be showing in the tray. If you have access to a laptop with a good battery, I would suggest using this for the upgrade unless you have a UPS attached to your PC.

Once done you can check that all is well by using the modem before you proceed to the next step. VMC will now report the device as a E1762.

Now we update the dashboard: http://www.dc-files.com/files/huawei/modems/E1762/ choose Dashboard Update.

Once the dashboard update is done, it will try to install Mobile Partner... I suggest (from experience) that you cancel this operation, un-install VMC via Control Panel and reboot the PC. Now let the modem install Mobile Partner and afterwards I suggest that you reboot - I know you probably don't need to do this but I never get grief with drivers not loading doing things this way!

Sadly the Mobile Partner version on the device is 11.302.09.00.03 which doesn't have USSD facilities. You can now install a later PC installed version of Mobile Partner 16.001.06.01.500 for example. However, this gives the annoying problem of the modem trying to re-install from the device but there is a simple fix:

In your Mobile Partner folder locate the file SysConfig.dat file. Change the file attributes away from Read Only so you can edit it. Notepad will do the job nicely!

Look for the following section in the file:

[EHIDS_PRODUCT_VERSION]
    COMMENT=
    RUN_INSTALL_APP=YES
    RUN_CLIENT_APP=YES
    L_REG_PATH=SOFTWARE\Huawei technologies\Mobile Partner
    APP_FILE_NAME=Mobile Partner.exe
    APP_INSTALL_PATH=Mobile Partner
    VALUE=11.302.09.00.03

Edit the last line in this section so that it matches the above and save. When the modem is not plugged in or reset, your system now reports that the correct version is installed even though you really have say 16.001.06.01.500 installed.

Again you will void the warranty on your device if you carry out this procedure. I have tested this on a few K3765 including the one that I'm using now!

If you find this procedure complex or confusing then leave things as is or ask a knowledgeable friend to undertake the task for you!!
    Hi
    Is there perhaps a url for this newest mobile partner software?
    It is very difficult to get hold of this software.thanks

Regards
    Oregan

Quote Originally Posted by oregan View Post
    Hi
    Is there perhaps a url for this newest mobile partner software?
    It is very difficult to get hold of this software.thanks

Regards
    Oregan
    Dashboard Win for PC installed version: http://www.dc-files.com/files/huawei/modems/Varies/

I have updated my K3765 - however, it now does not seem to load drivers properly !

It's possible that the modem is bricked :-(
    Last edited by Jola; 03-08-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flarkit View Post
    It's as if SANRAL is the little handle being used to start flushing SA's economy straight down the sewerage pipes.

Hmm, I can see the Mobile Partner drive on the stick, and browse the files in it.

But the stick gives errors when loading drivers, says that some drivers cannot be found.

In my device manager I have one Huawei device with a working driver, but three with no drivers.

Any ideas ?
    It's as if SANRAL is the little handle being used to start flushing SA's economy straight down the sewerage pipes.

Super Grandmaster

Load the drivers from Cell C's site. Uninstall all drivers from Windows and then plug the modem in again. Manually have Windows load the drivers then from the location you copied the files to.

Thanks, I have come right - the modem wasn't bricked, but there seems to have been driver confusion.

I found a utility that removes all old drivers.

I have reflashed it again to make sure, and it is now working as an E1762 !

Using a Cell C SIM and the Cell C Dashboard !

But I am really interested in this modem because it is supposed to have an external antenna connection (hidden) - I will test this later !

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    But I am really interested in this modem because it is supposed to have an external antenna connection (hidden) - I will test this later !
    Different model, but I suspect the same principles apply: http://www.instructables.com/id/Huaw...le-external-a/
    Last edited by morkhans; 04-08-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo!
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

Quote Originally Posted by morkhans View Post
    Different model, but I suspect the same principals apply: http://www.instructables.com/id/Huaw...le-external-a/
    Yes, same principle - the K3765 is very similar to the K3565, it is just faster (7.2mbps instead of 3.6mbps).

Thanks for the link, I may just follow that approach.

This is all very useful because I have not been able to find a 21mbps USB modem with a proper external connection.

I tested the Huawei E1820 (good modem, but poor antenna connection) and Sierra Aircard 307 (poor modem with good antenna connection).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast