Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 403 of 403 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403
Results 6,031 to 6,040 of 6040

Thread: HP ProLiant MicroServer

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth96 View Post
    Another quick question, is the support for AMD GPU (HD 5450) better these days on openelec and other linux distros? Or should I rather stick to nvidia?
    I played it safe and went with nvidia way back, but OpenELEC 4 brought quite a big overhaul for AMD support.

Xorg-1.15 and Mesa-10.1 updates are backed by nvidia (331.67) and intel (2.99.911) GPU driver bumps. AMD support has seen radical changes; we switched from the problematic binary FGLRX (XVBA) driver to the new open source driver (7.3.0) based on VDPAU. The OSS driver is lighter (smaller in size and faster to boot) and brings numerous performance, feature, and stability improvements for AMD users. We added initial 4k support also known as UHD-TV.
    http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/...c-4-0-released
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

Just ordered a small SSD and AMD R7 240 video card for mine. Currently has Windows 7 and XBMC on it with a 2TB HDD only and an AMD HD5450. Perfect for movies and storage.

I've started using it for some light gaming (read Blizzard's Hearthstone) and browsing on the TV. Works quite well, but as a have a SSD in my main desktop and work PC's it's slow in comparison. With the new video card and SSD I'm hoping things get much smoother. I'm aware the CPU is holding me back. If this does not work out, I'll get new a motherboardboard + CPU and small case to replace the microserver in the TV cabinet. It'll get moved to storage duty only. I'll report back here for those considering general PC usage.

Quote Originally Posted by rodga View Post
    Link please?
    What OS are you running?
    Yeah, is it OS dependant? And what brand usb 3.0 cards can we use.

I am using MUKii TIP-PU301 with Windows 7 works great.

Grandmaster

I use my Micro Server as an Xbmc client and plex server. I only switch it on when needed.

Is it worth it to install an SSD?
    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodr View Post
    I use my Micro Server as an Xbmc client and plex server. I only switch it on when needed.

I've installed windows 7 on mine because Openelec was a bit too limited. I'm not used to the slow boot times as I have SSD in my main pc so now I'm looking to upgrade to an SSD in my N54L.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodr View Post

You will probably save 20 seconds each time you boot up

Guys, I'm looking at purchasing the N54L this weekend. Takealot should deliver the Gigabyte GeForce GT 610 - DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card by tomorrow. I saw this thread so decided to comment here. I'm very sorry if I've jacked the thread. I'm looking at adding the following to the machine and hope you can provide some input/guidance:

N.B - I have a spare 1.5TB for the OS, hence 3x Internal HDD and I've included the DVD in the event I need to install something. You just never know.

3x Western Digital RED 3TB HDD
    1x Kingston 4GB DDR3 Ram
    1x LG DVD, x24 read/write
    Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse
    HP OEM Window Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver

I'm thinking of going with the Windows Server Edition. I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, disadvantages and advantages (except that it's free), hence the choice. I'm not going with SSD for the exact reason rrh has mentioned. The server will be on 24/7 so it's pointless to have an SSD. Plus, they don't come cheap

Hope I've been thorough enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kavish1 View Post
    Guys, I'm looking at purchasing the N54L this weekend. Takealot should deliver the Gigabyte GeForce GT 610 - DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card by tomorrow. I saw this thread so decided to comment here. I'm very sorry if I've jacked the thread. I'm looking at adding the following to the machine and hope you can provide some input/guidance:

N.B - I have a spare 1.5TB for the OS, hence 3x Internal HDD and I've included the DVD in the event I need to install something. You just never know.

1x Kingston 4GB DDR3 Ram

I'm thinking of going with the Windows Server Edition. I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, disadvantages and advantages (except that it's free), hence the choice. I'm not going with SSD for the exact reason rrh has mentioned. The server will be on 24/7 so it's pointless to have an SSD. Plus, they don't come cheap

Would recommend get a USB DVD drive, make use the optic bay for OS drive.

So you will get another free HDD bay for storage.

Grandmaster
    South of the Jacarandas and north of the Jukskei

Quote Originally Posted by kavish1 View Post

1x Kingston 4GB DDR3 Ram

Where do you plan on buying the remote? I have one, which is the nicest remote. Prefer it over my Harmony. But the kids broke it, so I need a new one.

Page 403 of 403 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403