Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: MTN Data Bundle not being used, airtime being used.

Default MTN Data Bundle not being used, airtime being used.

I have an iphone 4 on MTN 350 Topup with 150mb data included.

Today airtime was loaded with R350 of airtime and 300mb of data, but i see that data is being used from my airtime not data bundle.

how can i can rectify this ?

This morning the 150mb of data was not loaded, i called MTN as was told that data and airtime is provisioned over 48 hrs. BS, but anyway...

I then get an sms saying I loaded a 150mb data bundle, no I didn't i just queried it.

but now I can't use any of it.

what to do ?

at R2 a mb, the airtime will last 3-4 days...

Blog Entries

Number please, lemme check it out for you, will only be tomorrow though...
    Avada Kedavra!

Grandmaster

I'm not sure if this is applicable, but it may be the APN you're using. Using the correct one may deduct from the correct bundle/airtime. I remember this being an issue with BIS on Blackberry's.
    Q9550 @3.8 | Asus P5Q DLX | 4x2G ddrII 800 | 460GTX | Samsung S2333SW | Win7 x64 Ult

Quote Originally Posted by FrancTheTank View Post
    I'm not sure if this is applicable, but it may be the APN you're using. Using the correct one may deduct from the correct bundle/airtime. I remember this being an issue with BIS on Blackberry's.
    can you change the apn for an iphone ?

could find anything ?

Grandmaster

Hi guys
    Thread Necro of sorts. Am having the same problem.

Loaded R50 airtime on my phone (R8.03 existing).
    Turned on my data connection, no apps running. Started trying to buy a 75MB data bundle.
    Immediately R2.72 vanished off my airtime.
    Finally managed to buy a bundle using USSD codes (what a nightmare, errors, time-outs, eish).

Checked the balance and was re-assured that the data had been loaded as the *141# report said I had 75MB loaded.

Started browsing Android Marketplace to get a specific app. Couldn't find it, so I gave up. Curious to see how much data my browsing had used I did another *141# balance check. Instead of using the data bundle, it had used R1.49 off my airtime and I still had the full 75MB bundle.

I checked my APN - it is correct - "MTN GPRS" and "MyMTN".
    I loathe making phone calls and speaking on the phone so I really don't want to call MTN Support.
    Is there anything else I can check from my side to make sure that it isn't me being a n00b, before I put myself through a call to the helpdesk?

I'm using an LG Optimus One, running Android 2.2, using MTN PAYG.

Quote Originally Posted by AniV View Post
    Loaded R50 airtime on my phone (R8.03 existing).
    Turned on my data connection, no apps running. Started trying to buy a 75MB data bundle.
    Immediately R2.72 vanished off my airtime.
    Finally managed to buy a bundle using USSD codes (what a nightmare, errors, time-outs, eish).

Checked the balance and was re-assured that the data had been loaded as the *141# report said I had 75MB loaded.
    Had you turned your data connection off and then turn it on again at this point?
    Started browsing Android Marketplace to get a specific app. Couldn't find it, so I gave up. Curious to see how much data my browsing had used I did another *141# balance check. Instead of using the data bundle, it had used R1.49 off my airtime and I still had the full 75MB bundle.
    If you didn't, it may be that a session you start with no bundle loaded will continue to consume airtime even if a bundle is loaded during the session.
    Probably best to load bundles with no active data connection and then only start the data connection once the bundle is loaded.

Grandmaster

Another update: I have now turned off Data Access on the phone because in the last half-hour my airtime balance has dropped from R4.82 to R3.64 without me so much as touching the phone. A few hours ago I had R58.03 on my phone. Now I have almost nothing left, and no data access either.

This is why I usually stick to Blackberry

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    Had you turned your data connection off and then turn it on again at this point?
    If you didn't, it may be that a session you start with no bundle loaded will continue to consume airtime even if a bundle is loaded during the session. Probably best to load bundles with no active data connection and then only start the data connection once the bundle is loaded.
    Well, I guess all I have left to lose is R3.64, so I will give this a shot. I've turned the data connection off, so I guess I'll turn it on again and see what happens. I just don't think that there was active session before the bundle was loaded. All I did was turn data access on, I never actually launched any apps or did anything that should have established a data connection. All I was doing at the time was trying to load the damn bundle using USSD codes that kept failing repeatedly.

But, will try this again.
    Chances of getting my airtime back is slim, I guess.
    Irony is that my Blackberry is currently with Vodacom to sort out their "stealing" of my airtime even though I have BIS which is the only reason I'm using this Android phone on MTN today instead. Meh.

my advice,always reboot after loading a data bundle,I learned this the hard way!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Kgabogk View Post
    my advice,always reboot after loading a data bundle,I learned this the hard way!
    Ooo, and people say Blackberry is bad?

Anyway, done that too, just in case. It seems to be leaving my airtime alone now and using my data bundle.

I just don't think that there was active session before the bundle was loaded. All I did was turn data access on, I never actually launched any apps or did anything that should have established a data connection.
    I think turning data access on means establishing a data connection.

iphone 4 Go to settings - General - Network - Cellular data network, then check the first APN should be "internet" if its on "mymtn" change it to internet, if you scroll down the mms APN should be on mymtn, ENJΘY !!! Sεnd frΘm my ipħΘnε

Let me try this again...... This is specifically for the iphone 4 Go to settings - General - Network - Cellular data network, then check the first APN should be "internet" this will allow you to have free browsing if its on "mymtn" change it to internet, if you scroll down the mms APN should be on mymtn, ENJΘY !!!!

P.s the cheapest way to download as much as you want is to
    Dial *141*6# and buy a uncapped internet bundle (R50) it allows you to download as much as you want for 24 hours
    Sεnd frΘm my ipħΘnε

Blog Entries

I now have a customer with the same problem.

He is using a laptop with MTN Online program device is a Huawei 15.

Prepaid mtn sim. Airtime get used up but it does not work with data
    bundle he has 138 meg left but does not work. Tried the internet
    setting for the app but does not work. Any ideas, tried to install on
    another laptop but same problem persist.