Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Gautrain - where to load money onto my gold card?

Blog Entries

Question Gautrain - where to load money onto my gold card?

I'm in the Eastern side of the Joburg CBD. Where is the quickest, easiest place to go when I want to load money onto my gold Gautrain card? Can I do it online? Or must I go to Park Station or the Airport?

Super Grandmaster

I don't think that you can load it online - at least you couldn't when they first came out.

Any station should let you load and there are some machines in some Friendly Grocer type shops
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Albereth View Post
    I don't think that you can load it online - at least you couldn't when they first came out.

Any station should let you load and there are some machines in some Friendly Grocer type shops
    Soooo, I guess I am asking... is there one of those machines operational yet at Park Station? Cos I don't want to have to drive to the airport.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    Soooo, I guess I am asking... is there one of those machines operational yet at Park Station? Cos I don't want to have to drive to the airport.
    Not quite getting it. You use the card at a station - all the stations have card loading machines. Park Station isn't operational yet so they may not have a machine there. But you can't catch the train there or get on either. The airport has a machine.

Or are you just wanting to load money onto the card just to have money on the card? The only benefit that I see in that is being able to send the card to someone already loaded so that they can use it when they fly into Joburg. But those machines accept credit cards - so, again, still not getting it.

Maybe your best bet is to find a Gautrain Bus Stop and see if a nearby shop is allowing loading. In Rivonia, the Friendly Grocer does this.

Blog Entries

Ja, I wanted to pre-load the cards now, for a later trip. I suppose I can do it on the day, but I didn't want to fiddle with it when I have the whole family with me. I thought I would get it out of the way so that we can just enjoy ourselves on the day. Thanks, I guess I will just drive out to the airport or Rhodesfield tomorrow. We are going from Rhodesfield to Sandton on Saturday for the wife's birthday.

Also, I have 7 cards. Is it possible to load them all at once, or do I have to do them one at a time, and will the credit card machine accept the multiple transactions to my credit card?

Does each person have to have a card or can we scan the same gold card multiple times for everyone in the family?

Super Grandmaster

One at a time and you each need one. Unless you're under 4 I think.

I did 6 when I got ours on the day it opened

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    Ja, I wanted to pre-load the cards now, for a later trip. I suppose I can do it on the day, but I didn't want to fiddle with it when I have the whole family with me. I thought I would get it out of the way so that we can just enjoy ourselves on the day. Thanks, I guess I will just drive out to the airport or Rhodesfield tomorrow. We are going from Rhodesfield to Sandton on Saturday for the wife's birthday.

Also, I have 7 cards. Is it possible to load them all at once, or do I have to do them one at a time, and will the credit card machine accept the multiple transactions to my credit card?

Does each person have to have a card or can we scan the same gold card multiple times for everyone in the family?
    He is right,just do it at the station once you arrive I mean it was quick for us.Where you going?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Mean Bastid View Post
    RPM posting in TK broke myBB
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    I just called Korny1 a bud.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Albereth View Post
    One at a time and you each need one. Unless you're under 4 I think.

I did 6 when I got ours on the day it opened
    So the multiple credit card payments won't cause a problem?
    I thought you can't use the same credit card at the same terminal twice within 30 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    He is right,just do it at the station once you arrive I mean it was quick for us.Where you going?
    We're just going shopping for the day in Sandton.
    Wife wanted to go on the Gautrain for her birthday.