Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Back up Power solution

Default Back up Power solution

I am looking to install back up generator wired to my DB. Will run lights and plugs only however I am concerned about Voltage fluctuation when it comes to my computers and TV.
    I realise online UPS's are very expensive, anyone have other options in this regard. Would offline UPS work or perhaps a voltage regulator.

I am not concerned about battery life on UPS.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

You'd be fairly safe with the PC and TV if they use switch mode power supplies.

You do get line-interactive/offline power supplies that can perform active voltage regulation - like the APC SMart-UPS 1000VA (SUA1000i), but it's still fairly expensive: ~R3000 @ Rebeltech.
    Last edited by Pada; 23-05-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Yo,
    Do you know something we dont know, mmmm ?

Do you suspect 'power tripping eskom' to pull a fast one on us this winter... ?

Tjeers, just putting it out there.
    Igs

I use the Intellipower 4, i have my Pc three drives 32 inch monitor woofer and speakers, headphones and modem - so when power goes i can still surf net, email, work in photoshop etc, it smoothly crosses over to the back up supply and lasts for about 7 hours, about two years ago i bought it for R1700 delivered

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

@Ripykin:
    I hope you do realize that the Intellipower 4 takes 150Hz or 60Hz input, where as our Eskom electricity is at 50Hz.
    Secondly, it's transfer time is rather slow at 15-20ms to 40ms, compared to the 2-4ms of the APC Smart-UPS units.

I certainly won't use something like that (Intellipower 4) to power my PC or any other sensitive/expensive electrical equipment!