Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 64 1 23451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola DEFY (MB525) - your experiences

Default Motorola DEFY (MB525) - your experiences

Hey guys

I'm thinking of getting this phone from Vodacom. My previous phone was a Nokia 5800. I use my phone mainly for surfing the internet and twitter. I am also interested in using an android office package (word, excel, ppt) on it. It seems like a good midrange phone with better than average features.. What is your opinion/ experience? Do you think this phone is right for me? Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie View Post
    Hey guys

I'm thinking of getting this phone from Vodacom. My previous phone was a Nokia 5800. I use my phone mainly for surfing the internet and twitter. I am also interested in using an android office package (word, excel, ppt) on it. It seems like a good midrange phone with better than average features.. What is your opinion/ experience? Do you think this phone is right for me? Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
    Any android will be great. Just compare spec vs. pricing. Mb525 had the advantage of being "life" resistant.

On the androids, the priority specs to consider are processor speed and screen quality, and then whatever matters to you. The screen and processor are primary factors which determine the range of phone you're looking at. Also worth considering is the OS version it will be shipped with (2.1), and the upgrade commitment of the manufacturer, which is not a problem if you are going to load custom versions off the net.

I would look at the RBM contact for this phone. It's quote a sweet deal since you'll need about 400mb minimum with any smartphone. Downside is it's on cell c.

See the cell c thread for members experiences with the contract and phone.

Sent from my HTC Desire using MyBroadband Android App
    I came. I saw. I concurred.

https://twitter.com/bitsyzd

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie View Post
    Hey guys

Hey wolvie i have the same phone as you currently and have ordered the phone through MTN as there is no pay in on the Top-up 100 contract @R129

From what you have now it will be an incredible upgrade in terms of speed and ease of use, not to mention its ruggedness as Nadimm mentioned, and the fact that the screen is even bigger.

I don't know about you but im gatvol of the sluggish and very buggy symbian 5800xpress music and am already placing an ad on gumtree to flog it.

Here are the specs of the DEFY:http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_defy-3514.php

Don't forget its overclockable to 1.2GHZ!!!
    Last edited by demon angel; 08-06-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    http://www.thegamingsource.co.za
    ^^Seek and you shall find any retro console delivered to your door^^

Got this phone through Cell C all week 100 (paid in R1300) and so far loving it. It has even been kid tested and came through unscathed (he sent it flying), it bounced a couple of times and didn't even notice. It does however only come with 2.1 at this point, Motorola is in the process of pushing 2.2 out but yeah so far none for SA of course. It has also been confirmed that it won't get any higher than that either But of course there will be other means to go to 2.3

Grandmaster
    Stellenbosch, Republic of the Western Cape

Chaps,

I got my Defy yesterday. Registered it on the Motorola support site and it found the following software update for my phone: https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...n.ASEAN.v9.pdf

this is the link to the Software Update: http://direct.motorola.com/ENG/Softw...n.ASEAN.v9.pdf
    --
    ADSL Line: 10Mbps via Afrihost 100Mb Capped

Keep Calm And Engage Low Range

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    Chaps,

I got my Defy yesterday. Registered it on the Motorola support site and it found the following software update for my phone: https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...n.ASEAN.v9.pdf

this is the link to the Software Update: http://direct.motorola.com/ENG/Softw...n.ASEAN.v9.pdf
    Thank you. Have you done the update? Are you now on 2.2?

I just opened my Moto Software updater and it said it is out of date (I only installed it 3 days ago and it said there aint no update for my Defy)....so perhaps after the update it will find the update for my phone? Will let you guys know.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    Thank you. Have you done the update? Are you now on 2.2?
    not yet, been in meetings all morning, will try now.
    --

Grandmaster

Hmmm... tried it twice now and while it's downloading the update my notebook crashes (Win 7 64-bit). Will try on the home PC tonight and see.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    Hmmm... tried it twice now and while it's downloading the update my notebook crashes (Win 7 64-bit). Will try on the home PC tonight and see.
    Mine is still downloading. On 45% now. I am using good old fashioned XP though :-)
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Had mine for about 2 months now. On MTN through Autopage @ R135 a month. Life proof and beer proof Some people have criticized the Blur interface but I find it ok. It is much better than the Wildfire I had for a few months. Good music player and the lyrics download function is cool as well. Phone book is good to. You can integrate all your contacts social networking details into the phonebook so all that that sort of thing is all under the contacts name. Could be a Android thing, dunno, but the Wildfire couldn't do it.

Best of all is tonight I updated it to 2.2 Froyo through Motorola's global site. it takes a while, especially if you have a dumb ass slow ADSL connection like I do. The update is just over 100 mb.

Mine is also on 2.2. I dont really know what the big diff is .... apart from the very cool looking new galary interface...but its nice to know that my moto is now running on the second latest version at least. Pity we wont be getting 2.3 :-(
    Pieter Dirk Uys

----- Howzit MyB peoples -----

Anyone seen the best cash price for the Defy?
    Vodashop are selling them for R3275.00

...doesn't know

Quote Originally Posted by buildabong View Post
    ----- Howzit MyB peoples -----

Anyone seen the best cash price for the Defy?
    Vodashop are selling them for R3275.00
    MTN has them on a top-up contract for R129 pm... which is R3100 total over the 24months, and also you get R100pm... looks like win to me. Otherwise, don't buy from Service provides... they artificially bump up the prices so people opt for contracts.
    I'm new here...

Hey Guys
    How is the battery (not good stats on GSm arena) on the DEFY, Camera and Video and GPS.
    Thanks

I get 2 days with heavy use. 2.5 if use is average.

Page 1 of 64 1 23451151 ... LastLast