Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: whatsapp messenger, how does it work exactly?

Blog Entries

Question whatsapp messenger, how does it work exactly?

ok, so how does this work?

when my SO was in new zealand I was using my old blackberry with a inactive MTN sim card and it worked... Using WLAN

my brother is on a top up contract, and when his airtime is finished, he cant call/txt but he can use whatsapp... no WLAN

if someone steals your phone, and toss your sim card and put in theirs, will they have access to your whatsapp and all your contacts

sigh

Yup whatsapp works purely on data think of it as sending emails.
    So it will always work as long as there is internet available. It will also work even if there is just a few cents on the account because it uses tiny amounts of data which doesn't cost much. Also yes if your phone was stolen they would have access to your whatsapp contact list.

Kinda works like mxit
    Fank ya

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote Originally Posted by HTC_guy View Post
    ok, so how does this work?

when my SO was in new zealand I was using my old blackberry with a inactive MTN sim card and it worked... Using WLAN

my brother is on a top up contract, and when his airtime is finished, he cant call/txt but he can use whatsapp... no WLAN

if someone steals your phone, and toss your sim card and put in theirs, will they have access to your whatsapp and all your contacts

contact lists yes as thats based on your phonebook, but i know the whatsapp itself will stop working after a little while when it refreshes or you login on another phone with the same phone number
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

yes you can use whatsapp even if you have 20c left, as long as you can connect its ok
    Nexus 4/7 | i7 3770k | GA GTX 660Ti OC | MSI Z77A-G43 | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws | 128G M4 Crucial SSD | CM Storm Trooper Chassis | 2x24" Dell IPS U2412M Monitors

...doesn't know

I've run out of internet, and not being connected to any Wifi, and it still worked... I'm on MTN... and I don't know how, but it does just work even if you don't have and airtime (R0.00) or data.

It just takes a while for the messages to go through.
    I'm new here...

if you are on Cell C without a data bundle but using airtime, whatsapp will chow your credit like it's going out of fashion.

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote Originally Posted by random_user View Post
    if you are on Cell C without a data bundle but using airtime, whatsapp will chow your credit like it's going out of fashion.
    then you better check what cell c is charging you for data, coz i didnt have a data bundle before and it didnt dent my bill at all.
    and im on mtn and they not the cheapest on data!
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

Im on mtn and when I dont have any airtime or bundles, it sometimes still works????

Quote Originally Posted by scotty777 View Post
    I've run out of internet, and not being connected to any Wifi, and it still worked... I'm on MTN... and I don't know how, but it does just work even if you don't have and airtime (R0.00) or data.

It just takes a while for the messages to go through.
    I think the message just gets stored locally until the time you load airtime, then it gets delivered (...hence the delay that you've noticed)

...doesn't know

Quote Originally Posted by ejbengine View Post
    I think the message just gets stored locally until the time you load airtime, then it gets delivered (...hence the delay that you've noticed)
    I went a few days with R0.00 air time though, and in that time I was still sending and receiving messages. I think the application keeps trying to send the message, and it just gets let through... I don't know how it does it, but it does!
    I'm new here...

it says on the android app store that the first year of whatsapp is free, and that thereafter one has to pay for the service? is this true?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by scotty777 View Post
    I went a few days with R0.00 air time though, and in that time I was still sending and receiving messages. I think the application keeps trying to send the message, and it just gets let through... I don't know how it does it, but it does!
    Must be an MTN glitch where your internet is still working. Try some web browsing and downloads...

@Droplet: Yes, annual subscription. US$2 or 3$ I think.

Quote Originally Posted by droplet View Post
    it says on the android app store that the first year of whatsapp is free, and that thereafter one has to pay for the service? is this true?
    No, the developers are lying to you.. :P

It's something small, like $1 per year.
    Seeking...

...doesn't know

Quote Originally Posted by Maddmatt View Post
    Must be an MTN glitch where your internet is still working. Try some web browsing and downloads...

@Droplet: Yes, annual subscription. US$2 or 3$ I think.
    The browser doesn't work... Hmmm, I'm thinking they let maybe small communications through... though... and it's not an active communication, but rather just a system where they periodically let small amounts of information through.
    I'm new here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast